Possible Change in Passport Requirement

You don't have to send the old one in for the renewal, so you apply for the renewal way ahead of time. And then you have the old one in the mean time. My dad just got his renewal, and he used his old one that has not expired yet until the new one came.

Yes, you do:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

It clearly states to renew you must attach your old passport...

If you can, then How Do You Renew Your Passport By Mail?

1. Complete Application For Passport By Mail , form DS-82

Be sure to sign and date your application.

2. Attach to it:

Your most recent passport

Two identical passport photographs

And, a $67 fee payable to the U.S. Department of State.

If you need your passport urgently, you may request Expedited Service. ( Click here for information about Expedited Service .)

NOTE: Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport.

Every time I've applied for a new passport I've had to send the old one in.

Found this interesting info while looking for something else. For it's fiscal year, which started in Oct 06, the gov't has processed alot of passports.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2007/may/85433.htm

Sorry I don't know how to print the page here.

Interesting info, thanks! DH applied today and I hope he wrote Expedite on the envelope. He just got his BCs on Saturday--I had him get 2 to be safe. Our cruise isn't until October but I wanted him to be sure and have one early.

Really! The passport web site said you have to submit your old one and it will be returned with your new one.

Sorry, but I have never had to. Neither has my father. I know this cause I have his old one (he left it in my car) and he just got a new one. Maybe it depends on circumstances. We have all had our passports since childhood and travel all the time. And we have people to renew them for us. My father is in the music industry and travels for a living. So sending in his old passport to get a new one would not work for him.

Sorry, but I have never had to. Neither has my father. I know this cause I have his old one (he left it in my car) and he just got a new one. Maybe it depends on circumstances. We have all had our passports since childhood and travel all the time. And we have people to renew them for us. My father is in the music industry and travels for a living. So sending in his old passport to get a new one would not work for him.

Maybe your people are special. My DH traveled extensively in Europe for work and still had to send in his old passport for renewal. He did have to expedite it. It was really nice because he got to stay State side for 2 whole weeks.

The old passports are returned and maybe he just left it in your car. Or maybe he thought it was lost because it was in your car and not with him. :rolleyes:

We have always had to send in our old passports for renewing our passports even if they have not expired. When they send you the new passports they also return your old passports to you with a red stamp on the front page indicating that it is "cancelled" and the date it is cancelled.

I have always had a passport since childhood. I think it is a document everyone should have weather you plan on traveling in the near future or not. It's sort of like having health insurance. Although, in most cases, we do not plan on going to the hospital it is there if you need it. So, be prepared.

Maybe your people are special. My DH traveled extensively in Europe for work and still had to send in his old passport for renewal. He did have to expedite it. It was really nice because he got to stay State side for 2 whole weeks.

The old passports are returned and maybe he just left it in your car. Or maybe he thought it was lost because it was in your car and not with him. :rolleyes:

I guess they must just say they are lost. Cause I have never sent mine in. And I did read mine, and it says replacement for lost passport, even though I have my old ones too. But even the replacements are always good for 10 more years. So that must be the difference.

Archived