Our (picture) review of 4 day cruise on the QM2

smoothdancer

Smoothdancer

We were right up the hall from you. I have that exact same picture of the clock on 7 deck. Ronald was our steward too. I thought he did a great job. I concure with your review. The only thing I would disagree with is the quality of food. I had expected better, but I tend to be picky. Maybe cruise line food just isn't very good period. I enjoyed my trip on Queen Mary 2. It statisfied a desire of mine. Whether I will do another cruise again is to be determined.

Smoothdancer,

That was a well balanced, and very fai review, basedon what I have experienced and what has been reported. I believe that you dining experiences, vis a vis service was an anomaly. I have not had a similar experience on board her.

I would beg you to give her another chance on a longer cruise at some point, or on a crossing. There was sa special evening the night before your cruise, that was a fundraiser for the New York Opera (I think it's called- Not the Met) and the Brooklyn School of music. Of course many of new York's doyens and mavens (and gents) of charity balls and arts were there, I have to assume that it may have been a trying evening for staff. I also wonder if, with a short cruise, there was crew change over, therefore break-in period for new staff or those returning from a three month break home, or possibly even some had a four day leave while you cruised.

I am truly sorry for your less than stellar experience, and would love for you to experience her at her best.

Karie,

who thinks you must be a marvelously romantic couple, and cannot wait to attend the dance competition, if possible, before our October cruise.

Please feel free to email me, parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com, or call me. cell phone 388-7949, in the OTHER area code from your home one! <G>

It's a shame your experience was so diluted by the horrible service you received. If Cunard would put as much emphasis on its service as it does on its dress requirements then perhaps things would 'match up' better. We are taking the eastbound passage on July 6 and hope we meet with better luck!!

WELL DONE! Your review was excellent and the addition of great pictures is a huge plus.

Thanks, it brought back fond memories and adds to excitement of our next sailing in August.

thanks smoothdancer for an interesting review & great photos. You should try QE2 where service & food are excellent. I too tried QM2 once - like the ship but had similar service issues although I thought the food very good although nothing like the QE2! - and to date have been on 7 cruises on QE2 - that is where my loyalty lies - always consistent & a great ambience that is just not experienced on any other ship! - that I've been on anway!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I think perhaps sometime in the future we will try Cunard again. Not this year as all my vacation time is booked already but on my "want to do list" is to fly to the UK for vacation, cruise back home. I must admit I am also tempted by the Med cruises the QV is going to offer. Absolutley thought my next cruise aboard Cunard will not be another short one.

Anyway, I am pleased that you all enjoyed our review. Myself, I am such a visual kind of person and a picture review is great fun for me to put together. Like a vacation after the vacation!(Not to mention a husband that is a great web programmer!)

Karrie, I will look at the schedule and EMail you. There are so many events this summer and into fall from NYC - Mass... Did you say that the Mass area is better than NY? I must pick the right "first one" for you! LOL, I dont know that we are a romantic couple, but certainly quite lucky that just by chance we found a hobby that we equally enjoy.

Karrie, I will look at the schedule and EMail you. There are so many events this summer and into fall from NYC - Mass... Did you say that the Mass area is better than NY? I must pick the right "first one" for you! LOL, I dont know that we are a romantic couple, but certainly quite lucky that just by chance we found a hobby that we equally enjoy.

Well, I think Springfield might be easier to get to and cheaper for an overnight stay than NYC or Stamford. Not really sure, depending on when and where.

My schedule is so up in the air right now that when I left the office around 2 (Marc had minor surgery today and I had to get to the pharmacy and get him home) I had no idea if I am working tonight! They were still meeting to change the entire schedule! In fact, i am still uncertain if I am going in tonight, though I am oncall, so it could happen anyway! I am working nights next week (I think! <LOL> But things are in such a state of disarray, who knows! All I know is, come hell or high water, I am going on my cruises!

Karie,

who is so confu-u-u-used!

Doing Qm2 For The First Time In Nov!

Do You Think Service Was Off Due To Short Cruise?

You might want to read the "greetings from the QM2" started by guernsey guy for some answers to your last question. I can tell you that my personal experience on QM2 was excellent in every respect and I"m counting the days to get back on her again

When in Nov are you sailing...we are on the 10th. There are some roll calls for the various Nov sailings on the roll call page if you're interested.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

I dont think we will ever know why service was off on this particular sailing. Reading other posters comments who have been on short cruises, service was fine so no I dont think it was because it was a short cruise.

I tried very hard not to "spook" anyone over this service issue when writing my review. My guess is that it was an isolated situation to this sailing and would not worry about a repeat performance on future cruises. Nothing positive can come from beating a dead horse here, but if guests were in fact double ordering dinner(as reported) this could of contributed to an already off situation, but in my observations certainly did not cause it.

Wonderful review and I concur with your views. What fun we had at Jazz class! Our tablemates were great ballroom dancers as well so we'd drop by to watch them dance. BTW, I did get to see you guys on that floor, smooth indeed. Loved the pics as well.

thanks smoothdancer for an interesting review & great photos. You should try QE2 where service & food are excellent.

As you know I have just come home from the first public cruise after this one. I too would suggest reading what Peter (Guernseyguy) said about the topic in "Greetings from the QM2". For ease I quote it below verbatim:

That Memorial Day Cruise

Some more details emerged about some of the factors that may have led to people feeling they had poor service.....(from my experience on this crossing the service has in general been 'excellent' with it occassionally slipping to 'very good'......and very much better than whe I was onoard two years ago). If the kitchens were a bit slow, it might be related to people ordering multiple main courses - now if one or two do that, I'm sure they can cope, but if many do, then 'dinner for 1300' turns into 'dinner for 3,000' and the kitchen is bound to struggle....I'm sure none of the posters on cruise critic were doing things like that - and as I say, when ordering one main course service has been excellent and the food delicious.

My own perception of the service was very high indeed - certainly nothing significantly different from Queen Elizabeth 2, taking the accomodation grade into account.

I've said a lot of things about the Queen Mary 2 over a long time, but she is superb - both the ship and the crew.

Matthew

What a very good review! Very fair and balanced I thought. We found that the service has always been great on QM2, we had a few patchy bits on our first trip, but that was only the 5th ever trip she had made with fare paying passengrs. Since then it has only got better and better.

Thank you for posting your pictures, I really enjoyed seeing them.

Archived