Marriage Certificate??

cielleq

I didn't have a problem last year with just my birth certificate, but I wondered if it was a good idea to bring my marriage certificate, too since I didn't keep my maiden name. Has anyone had a problem with just their birth certificate and a driver's license?

I've never brought my marriage certificate in multiple cruises, and never been asked for it. Cruiselines realize most married women have different last names than their birth name. We used to use just birth certificates and driver's license, now use passports.

Possibly it would be a good idea if your marriage is very recent?

Hi, I am going on the Sun this Sunday. I had sent everything off by mail to get my new passport and suddenly found myself going on a cruise with no passport. I am going with my birth certificate and driver's license and my marriage certificate. I figured it doesn't hurt to have it just in case. It is a photo copy of the original with the numbers on the back of the certificate on the back of the document. I can't find the original. Anyways, I figure it is just in case.

I've cruised twice without it, but a friend of mine took hers last year on Sovereign. Not sure if they asked her for it, but the cruise line told her to bring it. I agree with the pp who said to use a photocopy, though. If the original is not absolutely needed, I would keep it in a safe place. Happy cruising!

If you were fine without it last cruise, why would you think you'd need it this one?:)

I've never heard of anyone...maybe one or two...on these boards say they were asked for a certificate of marriage. I think the exception is a new bride/groom - if they are under 25 yrs. old.

We've cruised five times and I've been asked for my marriage certificate only once. Fortunately, I've always taken it with me--it's just one more piece of paper anyway, so no hassle. I asked them what would have happened if I hadn't had it with me and they indicated I would have been denied boarding. :eek:

I was in my late 30s and not a new bride. I've heard of others being asked as well--they don't ask often, but they do ask and no one seems to know what circumstances will prompt a request to see your marriage certificate.

I went to China several weeks ago for a business trip so had my passport renewed, so it won't be an issue for me anymore, but if I didn't have my passport I would certainly take my marriage certificate.

Jayne

I didn't have a problem last year with just my birth certificate, but I wondered if it was a good idea to bring my marriage certificate, too since I didn't keep my maiden name. Has anyone had a problem with just their birth certificate and a driver's license?

Where are you cruising? Where's your passport?:confused:

If your driver's license has the name change, you should be fine. After all, you had to show your marriage license to get the name change on the driver's license.

I think the reason behind having both is to prove that you are the original person AND the new-named person. To show the papertrail.

If I had changed my name and didn't have a passport, I would absolutely bring one of my certified copies of the marriage certificate. I'd rather have it taking up space, than NOT have it and be asked!

We are just off the Victory and my sister was asked for her marriage license while I was not. Supposedly, if you're photo ID has your married name on it, that is good enough. Or maybe not.:rolleyes:

Archived