Tour Advice For Carins & Darwin

KODIDC

Will be sailing on the AMSTERDAM....64 DAY PACIFIC RIM....will be in Darwin on Oct 31st....and in CARINS on Nov 4th....each will be a one day stop......any land tour information would be greatly appreciated...either must sees, or don't bother....:confused:

THANKS

KODIDC

Will be sailing on the AMSTERDAM....64 DAY PACIFIC RIM....will be in Darwin on Oct 31st....and in CARINS on Nov 4th....each will be a one day stop......any land tour information would be greatly appreciated...either must sees, or don't bother....:confused:

THANKS

KODIDC

For a land tour from Cairns you shouldn't miss the Kuranda Skyrail which is the world's longest cable car ride over the rainforest its about 8km long.

We spent 5 days in Cairns but if you only have 1 day then the Skyrail would be the one thing to do.

Check out the attached:

http://www.seecairns.com.au/tours/down-under-tours/kuranda-tours/KSQ/KSQ.html

Hi All...we are sailing on the Sapphine Princess , 12 nights,

NZ - Sydney, departing 2/14/08.

We were planning to to a post cruise tour to Cairns (2 nights,) then back to Sydney (2 nights) before heading back home to California.

This is quite an expensive post tour. In reading some of the posts, I understand it is the rainy season in Carins and that you can't see the GBR if the sun is not shining.

We could just spend the 4 extra nights after the cruise in Sydney, or we could change our return date home (for $300) on NZ Air.

Any suggestions on this are appreciated. Just don't know if we should spend the extra $$$ and take a chance on the weather that time of year.:confused:

Jeanne

THANKS

KODIDC

Hi there! We live in Darwin and have been to Cairns on hols.

A day trip to Litchfield Park would be fabulous for your Darwin day and a trip to the inner reef at Cairns would be my pick for that day. We had one of the best days of our lives at the reef. It is one of the natural wonders of the world and not to be missed. The Cat takes about 45 mins to go out and back and you will have a good few hours out on the reef. I guess it would depend on how long the ship is in port as to whether you could fit it in. They used to offer a resort dive as well on that trip and that was a highlight for us too.

I spent a wonderful day in Litchfield Park seeing all the waterfalls and termite mounds etc. here in Darwin. It will be pretty hot and steamy when you are here as it will be in the build up to the Wet Season. The sandflies won't bother you if you use a repellant. You'll have a ball. Cheers, Meg

Hi there! We live in Darwin and have been to Cairns on hols.

A day trip to Litchfield Park would be fabulous for your Darwin day and a trip to the inner reef at Cairns would be my pick for that day. We had one of the best days of our lives at the reef. It is one of the natural wonders of the world and not to be missed. The Cat takes about 45 mins to go out and back and you will have a good few hours out on the reef. I guess it would depend on how long the ship is in port as to whether you could fit it in. They used to offer a resort dive as well on that trip and that was a highlight for us too.

I spent a wonderful day in Litchfield Park seeing all the waterfalls and termite mounds etc. here in Darwin. It will be pretty hot and steamy when you are here as it will be in the build up to the Wet Season. The sandflies won't bother you if you use a repellant. You'll have a ball. Cheers, Meg

Hi...my question is....would you spend $$$$ to go to Cairns in late February on a post cruise tour.

Two nights in Cairns then back to Sydney for 2 nights.

DH would hate to miss the GBR, but if it's the wrong time of year, hate to spend the money.

Thanks, Jeanne

• 3 weeks later...

February of 2006, we spent two days and three nights at the Holiday Inn - every room had a view - some more fabulous that others, but we loved our stay there. The boardwalk along the waterfront was safe at any hour, there was even a public swimming pool - no fences - just walk right in. We (my wife) loved he evening indoor market. It just had a great small town feel to it. Definitely our favorite stay of the ten days we were there post cruise.

We will be there again November 4th on the Amsterdam. Just gonna kick back and enjoy the city and people again:cool:

February of 2006, we spent two days and three nights at the Holiday Inn - every room had a view - some more fabulous that others, but we loved our stay there. The boardwalk along the waterfront was safe at any hour, there was even a public swimming pool - no fences - just walk right in. We (my wife) loved he evening indoor market. It just had a great small town feel to it. Definitely our favorite stay of the ten days we were there post cruise.

We will be there again November 4th on the Amsterdam. Just gonna kick back and enjoy the city and people again:cool:

Thanks All...great info...still don't know if we will go, but, it is a long way to travel and miss GBR.

Jackwc...what kind of weather did you have when you were there? Did you do a post cruise with the cruise line or on your own?

We can save about 1K if we book ourselves, but we thought it would be worth the extra $$$ to have everything taken care of for us. Luggage, tours, etc.

Thanks, Jeanne

Jackwc...what kind of weather did you have when you were there? Did you do a post cruise with the cruise line or on your own?

We can save about 1K if we book ourselves, but we thought it would be worth the extra $$$ to have everything taken care of for us. Luggage, tours, etc.

Thanks, Jeanne

Jeanne, We did a post cruise that was put together by our travel agent. Ten days that included 1 night in Canberra after we disembarked the Statendam in Sydney, then back to Sydney for 4 nights, 2 nights in Brisbane, and then the final 3 nights in Cairns. I think our TA saved the best for last. There were about 40 of us, just a comfortable bus load. I guess it could have been done on our own, but having it all taken care of by someone else was grand. :cool:

We arrived in Cairns on the 11th of February by air from Brisbane, Barbara remembers that it was like stepping to a hot dry oven! That evening was splendid, strolling the Esplanade boardwalk and enjoying the night views from our hotel.

The morning of the 12th we boarded the train for a magnificent ride up into the mountains. We had about an hour to eat shop and experience a the little town, Then we boarded the Skyrail (in 4 person gondolas):eek: for our trip back down. It was like flying over a rainforest, and speaking of rain, that's what it did halfway to our destination. The storm that brought the rain, also halted the operation of the Skyrail, so half of our group were stranded at the top until the storm passed. :eek: Once we were all assembled, at the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Art Center, we ate our evening meal (part of the tour costs), and watch demonstrations of the Tjapukai culture. Another splendid evening strolling the town and shopping at the "night" market.

We were up early on the 13th for our day on the Great Barrier Reef.

The day was beautiful, hot and humid. We were a little disappointed in the "underwater viewing" boat, as the colors of the reef creatures was not as beautiful as you see in TV documentaries. Snorkeling, with all gear provided, was available, but I got claustrophobic and had to bail out on that venture. On our way back to Cairns we were served a delicious lunch. We bought a book of photographs of the reef as ours were not as colorful.

That night back in town we did more strolling, watched the flying foxes on their evening nesting flight, ate a great Greek meal, hit the night market again, and strolled the Esplanade on our way back to the hotel bidding goodbye to our favorite Australian city.:)

I hope you decide to go, you will just love Australia I know.

Jack

Jeanne, We did a post cruise that was put together by our travel agent. Ten days that included 1 night in Canberra after we disembarked the Statendam in Sydney, then back to Sydney for 4 nights, 2 nights in Brisbane, and then the final 3 nights in Cairns. I think our TA saved the best for last. There were about 40 of us, just a comfortable bus load. I guess it could have been done on our own, but having it all taken care of by someone else was grand. :cool:

We arrived in Cairns on the 11th of February by air from Brisbane, Barbara remembers that it was like stepping to a hot dry oven! That evening was splendid, strolling the Esplanade boardwalk and enjoying the night views from our hotel.

The morning of the 12th we boarded the train for a magnificent ride up into the mountains. We had about an hour to eat shop and experience a the little town, Then we boarded the Skyrail (in 4 person gondolas):eek: for our trip back down. It was like flying over a rainforest, and speaking of rain, that's what it did halfway to our destination. The storm that brought the rain, also halted the operation of the Skyrail, so half of our group were stranded at the top until the storm passed. :eek: Once we were all assembled, at the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Art Center, we ate our evening meal (part of the tour costs), and watch demonstrations of the Tjapukai culture. Another splendid evening strolling the town and shopping at the "night" market.

The day was beautiful, hot and humid. We were a little disappointed in the "underwater viewing" boat, as the colors of the reef creatures was not as beautiful as you see in TV documentaries. Snorkeling, with all gear provided, was available, but I got claustrophobic and had to bail out on that venture. On our way back to Cairns we were served a delicious lunch. We bought a book of photographs of the reef as ours were not as colorful.

That night back in town we did more strolling, watched the flying foxes on their evening nesting flight, ate a great Greek meal, hit the night market again, and strolled the Esplanade on our way back to the hotel bidding goodbye to our favorite Australian city.:)

Jack

Thanks Jack....sounds like you had a great time and mostly good weather.

Cairns much be a lovely place...what are flying foxes?

My DH would hate to miss the GBR, but I do understand that if the sun is not out, the viewing is not good. I would not be going out to the reef, as I get deathly seasick on anything thats not at least, oh, I don't know, 900ft:eek:

I would probable do the tram ride. I am very independent, so don't mind doing things on my own if Ed wants to do something different.

Thanks for all the great info......Jeanne

Cairns much be a lovely place...what are flying foxes?

Jeanne, Flying Foxes are also called fox bats and are any one of about 65 bat species found on tropical islands from Madagascar to Australia and Indonesia and mainland Asia They are the largest bats; some attain a wingspan of 1.5 m (5 feet), with a head and body length of about 40 cm (16 inches). They roost in large numbers and eat fruit. (Encyclopedia Britannica) Don't worry, I think they are harmless to humans. It was about dusk when we saw them moving in great numbers from one part of Cairns to the other.

The tour boats they use to take folks out to the GBR are very large catamarans and very stable. Just make sure you take your patches and "bands" for your wrists in case you start to feel a little queasy. I think you would really enjoy the ride there and back. One of the side attractions when you get to the reef (sometimes small sandy islands) is watching your fellow passengers suiting up in their "blue" one piece skin tight full body suits, with flippers and goggles to be taken snorkeling.:eek: Been there - done that! It's a great way to spend the day. You two should enjoy it together. When are you ever going to be able to say "I spent a fabulous day on the Great Barrier Reef"?:cool:

Jack

Also, what is the night market and where is it located?

Marilee

The Night Market is near the center of town and is only open from 5 PM to 11 PM. Check out these links for more information: http://www.nightmarkets.com.au/ and is located http://www.nightmarkets.com.au/location.htm with a description of its history at http://www.nightmarkets.com.au/history.htm And if you are hungry there are plenty of places in the Food Court: http://www.nightmarkets.com.au/food.htm It is not be missed if you are in Cairns in the evening.:)

Jack

Thanks All...great info...still don't know if we will go, but, it is a long way to travel and miss GBR.

Thanks, Jeanne

Please gp! Too far to miss the experience. We will be sailing on 2/2/08. I have a small group of 20. I just met a gentlemen from CA on yesterday in AAA, and he was elated about seeing the Reef. He returned in Jan. and said the weather was awesome.

PinkSuit

The Night Market is near the center of town and is only open from 5 PM to 11 PM. Check out these links for more information: http://www.nightmarkets.com.au/ and is located http://www.nightmarkets.com.au/location.htm with a description of its history at http://www.nightmarkets.com.au/history.htm And if you are hungry there are plenty of places in the Food Court: http://www.nightmarkets.com.au/food.htm It is not be missed if you are in Cairns in the evening.:)

Jack

Thank you so much for the information. Is it easy to get there? We are planning on doing the cruisetour through Princess.

Marilee

Thank you so much for the information. Is it easy to get there? We are planning on doing the cruisetour through Princess.

Marilee

Marilee, If you can download Google Earth, maybe you already have, you can go to an overhead satellite view of Cairns and zero in on the area where the Night Market is located. The new version of Google Earth also includes photographs that local photographers have taken and uploaded to the site.

If you are just looking at a paper map of downtown, the cruise ship terminal is about three blocks due south of the marina. Along the west side the cruise terminal is the Esplanade. Walk along that for about one and a half blocks and you will be in front of the food Court. If you turn off Wharf Street/Esplanade onto Abbott Street the same distance will get you to the front entrance of the Night Market. I think is located between Spence and Shields Streets. It would be very hard to miss.:rolleyes:

Enjoy,

Jack

Marilee, If you can download Google Earth, maybe you already have, you can go to an overhead satellite view of Cairns and zero in on the area where the Night Market is located. The new version of Google Earth also includes photographs that local photographers have taken and uploaded to the site.

If you are just looking at a paper map of downtown, the cruise ship terminal is about three blocks due south of the marina. Along the west side the cruise terminal is the Esplanade. Walk along that for about one and a half blocks and you will be in front of the food Court. If you turn off Wharf Street/Esplanade onto Abbott Street the same distance will get you to the front entrance of the Night Market. I think is located between Spence and Shields Streets. It would be very hard to miss.:rolleyes:

Enjoy,

Jack

Jack,

Thanks so much for the info. I am really excited. I am putting together a list of things I want to do in Australia and NZ. We just booked the Diamond Princess cruise of NZ to Austalia for February 2009.

I am planning on doing the Princess cruise tour from Sydney to Cairns and back. Did you do your trip through the cruise line?

Marilee

Jack

HELLO; WE ARE DOING SINAPORE TO SYDNEY IN DEC 07 , WAS HOPING YOU COULD GIVE SOME ADVISE AS TO TOURS IN THE DIFFERENT PORTS..ON THAT ROUTE... SINGAPORE.BALI.CARINS DARWIN.SYDNEY,ETC

WHYME71842@AOL.COM ------- DAVID

Good Morning,

All of our tours were arranged by our travel agent as part of a package, both during the cruise and post cruise. We feel we got the best deal for the money charged, however we were with a large group (two tour bus loads during the cruise tours and one bus load post cruise).

Rely on your travel agents, that's what they get paid to do. Also join a Cruise Critic Roll Call, and join up with others who are doing the same cruise. Don't just "lurk", join in - contribute - ask questions. You can get some of your best advice there. It will enhance your overall cruise/travel experience.:)

We are on the roll call for MS Amsterdam 64 day Asia/Pacific Grand Voyage leaving Seattle on Sept 21 2007. There is some very valuable information there.:cool:

Thanks for asking, and have a great time "down under" you will meet some of the nicest people in this world.:D

Archived