Sucks to be 20

ponja

Hey, it does suck and sorry. I am older now and no longer drink but I understand your feelings.

And for the rest of you, there is a not so old saying that applies......"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young." I think a lot of you have forgotten. How about on your next cruises that you all give up drinking and see how this young man feels. Oh for god sake, you would not even think about that.

good luck and try to have fun

John

Thanks man I don't know what's with all the people disliking my post and all I was just complaining about one thing which does in fact suck. And being 21 would be way better which i turn 2 days after the cruise. I'm way psyched about the cruise and can't wait :D

It sucks to be 50. I'll trade you.

Ditto. I do understand the point and some of the comments regarding getting drunk etc may be a little much though. I would suggest just having a drink when in port.

I think we're just reacting to the whining. Here's a thought - perhaps you should have gone on a cruise two days AFTER you turned 21. ;)

Obviously I have no control of when I'm going hence the whining, It'll pass =)

Don't be in too big a hurry to become old and corrupted. I'm not saying I'd necessarily go back to being 20 again, but I didn't even drink when I was 20 and still managed to have a pretty good time. Things could be worse.

"Some people just don't get it, and they are usually old" Remember, the old WERE young once. The young have yet to be old. Apples and oranges.

Have a great cruise (even if it's dry)

JHC;)

Sounds like we will be on the same cruise as you, and my son will be 2 months away from 21. He is also trying to figure out if he will be able to have a few drinks on the cruise - but we have said NOT - ony in the ports. If 20 years olds can mangage to drink on the cruise, then it might go on down the line to 19's. 18's, 17's...which would be a bad situation. Our son will be with his 17 year old sister at times, and will be resonsible for her.

From what I have seen on the roll call for this cruise, there will be lots of young adults around your age - so I bet everyone will still have a great time!

I completely understand where the poster is coming from. I went on a road trip to a vineyard when I was 2 weeks away from 21 (it was a family vacation, so the vineyard was just one of many of the stops). I had just returned from a year of studying abroad in Versailles. I was obviously not allowed to try any of the wine since I was only 20 and we were in the U.S. (my parents would not have minded, but the workers would not allow it). My sister and I ended up at the kids table "tasting" and smelling the grape juice. I felt ridiculous that I couldn't participate in the wine tasting, even though I was an adult, and was banished to the kids area. I agree with the poster who said it may not be neccessarily the fact that they want to get drunk and crazy, but just that you feel left out and silly "Oh, don't serve him, he's only 20" etc. etc.

I am one of many who think that the drinking age should be lowered to 18 or 19. If you can acclimate to drinking alcohol in a responsible manner, I believe you are far less likely to "go crazy" when you get to college.

Doesn't change the cruise lines rules, but just my opinion.

Have a great time anyway! I'm sure you'll be able to indulge at the ports of call (be safe though!). Have a big night out when you get home.

I completely understand where the poster is coming from. I went on a road trip to a vineyard when I was 2 weeks away from 21 (it was a family vacation, so the vineyard was just one of many of the stops). I had just returned from a year of studying abroad in Versailles. I was obviously not allowed to try any of the wine since I was only 20 and we were in the U.S. (my parents would not have minded, but the workers would not allow it). My sister and I ended up at the kids table "tasting" and smelling the grape juice. I felt ridiculous that I couldn't participate in the wine tasting, even though I was an adult, and was banished to the kids area. I agree with the poster who said it may not be neccessarily the fact that they want to get drunk and crazy, but just that you feel left out and silly "Oh, don't serve him, he's only 20" etc. etc.

I am one of many who think that the drinking age should be lowered to 18 or 19. If you can acclimate to drinking alcohol in a responsible manner, I believe you are far less likely to "go crazy" when you get to college.

Doesn't change the cruise lines rules, but just my opinion.

Have a great time anyway! I'm sure you'll be able to indulge at the ports of call (be safe though!). Have a big night out when you get home.

Hey Ponja, At least one other person "gets IT":) Hey I am 42 and no longer drink but its a choice for me and that the difference. For you sake I hope the ship your on forgets to load on all the booze and then I want to hear all the people posting here to try and explain to you that you dont need to drink to have fun. If that happens make sure you go down to the plaza deck and talk to the thousands in line at the pursers desk demanding a refund of the cruise price.

Come on everybody, would it not be funny if a cruise ship forgot to load on the spirits, say on a trip with about 4/5 straight sea days. I mean come on, you dont need to drink to have a good time on a cruise, RIGHT:rolleyes: At least that is what I have heard a lot of people saying.:D

Hey, happy Cruising everyone:)

John

Ponja, OK.....it sucks to be 20 & not drink, lots of things "suck". It "sucks"

To have house, gas, water & other bills. My 20 yr old just went to the ER & guess who gets to pay $75 or so. Also it really "sucks" to have epilepsy & not be able to drive. I'm 48 & the last time I drove I was 16 or 17. Whens the last time you drove? It's hard when you are fine 99.9% of the time but you can't drive. We all have things that we feel is no good. Hey, I'm going to drink iced tea at dinner. JHCALLAHAN, I know what you mean, but I think most of these ppl are really trying to tell him 'be happy & enjoy what you have, the world will ask more of you in the future'.

Come on everybody, would it not be funny if a cruise ship forgot to load on the spirits, say on a trip with about 4/5 straight sea days.

I don't think that could happen - they'd quickly realize they were riding far too high in the water, while they were still in port! :p

No way in the world would I want to be 20 again, ever. Been there, done that and most who have gotten well beyond that age will say the same thing. Life is so much sweeter when you stop worrying about things like this. I could maybe stick around 44-48 or so, when life finally stops beating you up with all the pressure.

While I love my wine with dinner and an occasional cocktail (sometimes more than occasional), if I couldn't have it, no problem, there is more to do in life than drink, even for teens and young adults.

Since you state you have no control of when you cruise, I'll assume that parents are paying for this trip. How about a little grace and appreciation of that fact?

I tell my kids (both teens) not to rush through life, it will happen to you in good time. Older people (how in the world can we know these "sucky" feelings :D ) have really all been there, done that and funny thing, we do remember. As I watch my kids make their way through life, I recall all the old anxiety I went through.

Please come back after your cruise and let us know if you had any fun at all.

Ponja, OK.....it sucks to be 20 & not drink, lots of things "suck". It "sucks"

To have house, gas, water & other bills. My 20 yr old just went to the ER & guess who gets to pay $75 or so. Also it really "sucks" to have epilepsy & not be able to drive. I'm 48 & the last time I drove I was 16 or 17. Whens the last time you drove? It's hard when you are fine 99.9% of the time but you can't drive. We all have things that we feel is no good. Hey, I'm going to drink iced tea at dinner. JHCALLAHAN, I know what you mean, but I think most of these ppl are really trying to tell him 'be happy & enjoy what you have, the world will ask more of you in the future'.

Good point. I have diabetes so I have to limit my alcohol so my blood sugar does not go too high-I can have a rum and diet coke and tha tis about it-no foo-foo drinks for me on a cruise unfortunately.

I loved being 20.............when I was 20. Now I love being 47. Every day you're still on the sunny side of the grass is a good day!

JHC (Who hopes they don't forget the hooch when I sail.......unless I managed to smuggle enough of my own.;))

Well does it? First I thought I could drink with a waiver from parents but now it seems I can't. Going Liberty Western caribbean in june.

So I'm 20 I can enjoy everything possible in Sweden but on this cruise I'll get a juicefountain in the nightclubs and there's a teen club up to 17 year olds I can't join. Awesome I'll go sulk in a corner with the other 2-3 20 year olds.

I still have some hopes for the cruise but damn... :(

Not true, we ordered drinks for our 20 yr old son on our last cruise. It's not a big deal. Unless your parents won't that is ;)

But the good thing about the bartenders is that they will happily sell you a blunt every hour on the hour :eek: so then no need to drink :rolleyes:

And everyone wonders why they smell pot on carnival...it's the bartenders supplying your underage for drinking teens.

I know but that doesn't change the fact that you will all be drinking right in my face as well at dinners and when I'm at the club/pubs. Yeah it's nothing serious but still a bit annoying =)

Ummmmm ... bet there are lots of people in 12-step programs who'll happily enlighten you: drinking isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Thanks man I don't know what's with all the people disliking my post and all I was just complaining about one thing which does in fact suck. And being 21 would be way better which i turn 2 days after the cruise. I'm way psyched about the cruise and can't wait :D

Well you WILL be able to drink at most (if not all) of the ports so that should help. Luckily there's more port days than sea days. Doesn't help with the evenings, but ...

My niece is on a cruise right now and complaining about the same thing. And with passports, now less chance of using a fake ID. lol. Although she is 5'10' gorgeous Brunette. and probably has everyone passing her drinks anyway. I understand where the OP is coming from, because I remember what it was like being 20, and the only way I would want to be 20 again is if I could have the knowledge I have at 51, and the stamina of 20. Seriously though, how many of us older cruisers would like to be seated at "the childrens table" when we were 20? Lighten up, have you forgotten what it's like to be young?

Well does it? First I thought I could drink with a waiver from parents but now it seems I can't. Going Liberty Western caribbean in june.

So I'm 20 I can enjoy everything possible in Sweden but on this cruise I'll get a juicefountain in the nightclubs and there's a teen club up to 17 year olds I can't join. Awesome I'll go sulk in a corner with the other 2-3 20 year olds.

I still have some hopes for the cruise but damn... :(

I am not going to read through all the posts here and I am sure others have made this offer but I just turned 68 on Monday and I can do all of the things you wish you could do. So let's trade places, you can become 68 and iIwill become 20 again. Trust me there is nothing that I can do now that I would miss if I could be 20 again. Relax, you will be 30 before you realize it, then 40, 50, 60 and older so slow down and enjoy each and every day. They are all great even if you can't have a drink.

Its not about drinking. It is about fitting in. You sit at the table and someone orders a bottle of wine and the waiter says "how many glasses" and someone will say 'oh not him, he's not 21 yet". how would that make you feel. The 20 year old should sit around the table pointing our all the things "old" people cant do. Oh but if he did that it would be rude of the young man.

Some people just dont get it, and they are usually old.:)

Wow, some people certainly are quite touchy about age around here. The poor kid was just expressing his displeasure. I can't believe some have suggested that if you drink the next thing you know you'll be in the friend's of Bill W. a little extreme don't you think? I rarely drink unless socially so not sure where the two are connected, talk about one extreme to the other.:rolleyes:

Archived