Why do some people think AFT Cabins are better?

greatful

Aft Cabins have a very special allure. First of all, the location of the cabin itself, insures that you won't have a lot of traffic walking back & forth.

Then there's the balcony. It's very large, about 20 ft. deep. It's perfect for having breakfast, enjoying drinks with friends, or just relaxing during the day. Another added plus is you don't experience the wind, that the side balconies have.

But for me...it's all about the vistas. The wake is mezmorizing...the additional views when either in port or leaving a port is always wonderful.

If you do manage to book an Aft, you won't be disappointed.

Karyn

It is not a smoother ride there, and there is more motion in the aft, as there also is in the far forward cabins. You also tend to get a bit more vibration from the engines in the far aft when maneuvering into port early in the morning.

With all that said we love the aft cabins for the reason the above poster mentioned. We love the aft view, and the verandas are as large as the cabins - probably bigger. They are a little more than half covered, so there is usually places to sit both in the sun and the shade.

In our opinion the benefits far outweigh the increased motion there. However, if someone was more sensitive than average to the motion and tended to get seasick, I'd recommend avoiding the aft (or forward) cabins and going for something mid-ship.

We tend to sail as close to mid-ship as possible. However, we were able to get a deck 7 aft balcony on the Connie in 2008 and I can't wait.

The downside for us is that we know everyone in the other aft balconies and they have elected us to host parties every night, as our balcony is bigger.:D :D They have also advised that they will be pointing cameras into our balcony for posting (blackmailing) when we get back. Guess our Concierge won't love cleaning up after this bunch.:eek: :eek:

Our friends are in a FV cabin on our T/A in September, so we are going to check out that one. I'm afraid it may be too windy on a T/A. They may have to hang out on our 2B balcony where there will be no wind.:D

And don't forget the wonderful view for photography! On the side, you have that view. It might be beautiful on the other side of the ship. On the aft, you can view both left, right and the aft of the ship. I've snapped many a beautiful sunrise/sunset by being on the aft, and it's especially fun when you're coming into, or leaving a port. The views are spectacular!

The aft is ALWAYS my first choice. The walk is longer to get anywhere, but I need the exercise so that's a plus. If you ever get a chance to book an aft cabin, give it a try.;)

Garry

Shhhh Garry, just tell them that we hate those aft balconies....they are terrible. Kinda like back of the bus........;) :D

In all honesty, we were on the Sky deck coming up the California Coast on the Infinity and there was a good deal of motion back there, but no vibration at all. We never felt any vibration on the entire trip.

On the M-Class ships, there really isn't any vibration. But if you're sensitive to motion, then this may be an issue.

We were on an Eastbound transatlantic last year, and encountered a storm. 35 ft. swells, and 65 knot winds. It was quite a ride for a couple of days. The motion didn't bother us (except showering was quite a challenge), but quite a few people were ill.

You just have be aware of the pros and cons. By far, the pros outweigh the cons. Aft cabins are really wonderful.

We have one for the Westbound transatlantic in Sept., and I'm really looking forward to it.

Karyn

I was in Infinity's #7199 on her September 20-27, 2002, Alaska rountrip cruise from Vancouver, which I took with a companion. This is a splendid cabin on the port side, with a sitting room, vast balcony (on which we spent a considerable amount of time) and commodious accommodation (especially closets). However, we didn't sleep all that well, as the aft portion rocked sideways ... bump, bump, THUMP, bump, bump, THUMP. We were awake half of the night, and I've never booked an aft cabin since then. Others are enthusiastic for aft cabins, but, then, "different strokes for different folks", as Lois says. :)

Donald.

I had cabin 6143 CC on Constellation and I believe our balcony was about that same size with a teak wood deck because it is tucked in between the Suites and the balcony has to join up with the Suite balconies. I've never booked an aft cabin because I was fearful of looking at the wake. For some posters they say it is romantic and they love looking at it, but it seems to cause motion sickness for me. Even from the dining room, our table faced aft and just wtching the wake in the moonlight, really made me nauseaous (sp?). So be aware that can happen.

Had an Aft cabin on a Princess ship and found that, even though the verandah was enormous, the noise from the wake at the back of the ship was so noisy that it spoilt the whole experience - vowed not to book an aft again

• 10 months later...

An Aft cabin is great for the Alaska itinerary. The balcony is half covered so when it's raining you can still stand outside and enjoy the scenery and stay dry. Also with less wind you can spend so much more time out there. We ate lunch everyday on our balcony as did our neighbors. And without a doubt the view is spectacular. We saw so much wildlife off the back of the ship that I don't think you could've seen from the sides. We're on the aft again this year and I'm counting the days!

I just want to add that even though I love aft cabins on M Class ships, for the reasons mentioned in this thread, I would never book one on a C class ship. That is because C class ships don't have gas turbine engines, which the M class ships have, so the engine vibrations and noise at the aft of a C class ship are substantial.

We loved our aft for Hawaii and hope we aren't too cold on it in May for Alaska. We agree that the sunrises and sunsets are simply incredible.

Ifeltthe motion but for an odd reason lol The beds are oriented opposite and your "rock to sleep" is head to toe instead of side to side. I did adjust but tbh I prefer the side rock. Will we book another aft? Unless there will be spectacular vistas, I doubt it.

We were almost in an aft cabin once! We booked one on a Medi cruise on Millie in 2004 but when we checked in we found that we were upgraded to a Royal Suite! We weren't too disappointed! This time we booked an aft cabin on the Equinox in October 2009. I don't think it's going to be as large a verandah as on the other Celebrity ships

Aft cabins on the Solstice class ships: I did notice that there is not an elevator bank in the aft area. It is a long walk from the central elevators to the aft cabins...? I did have an aft booked for the Equinox but changed to a cabin more centrally located.

Archived