regarding food

redjuliet

My only issue with Princess' food were there was too much seafood. I'd rather have more chicken dishes on the menu rather than two or three fish selections.

But there was always the buffet!

I have to agree with you. I do not eat seafood at all, and the choices were somewhat limiting. But having said that, I have just returned from a fabulous 30 day cruise and I always found something to eat from the menu.

But I agree if you love seafood, you will be in heaven.

My husband does not like all the fancy food, I was just looking at princess menus and I think he is going to be really disappointed with the food. Even the Sabatino's looked too "fancy" for him. Did anyone else have a problem with this?

Thanks

I don't think that your husband has to worry about "fancy" food. We were on a Princess Cruise, and somewhat disappointed by the food. For the most part the food was okay to good. Not great. Certainly not fancy. The service was great.

I would recommend eating at the restaurants. The food is a little better there, and the service is great.

We paid extra $25 per person for the Crown Grill (over $62 with tax). The food was really good, but the service was very slow. It took us 2 hours to have 3 courses. I would never do that again.

ken

I am married to the world's fussiest eater. He MUST have well done steak or roast beef every night, and on Princess, he gets it!:) His favorite is beef Wellington (It sounds fancy, but it's tender steak, really). You won't have to go to the alternative restaurants to please your DH. I would NOT reccommend Sabatini's for a plain food person, though. My DH likes Princess' food so much, we've gone on 8 cruises. He feels very comfortable, knowing he will get what he wants for dinner. Nebraska prime rib, anybody?:D

I found that food on the Dawn Princess was good but not gormet by any standards. I would rate it as first class hotel food.

Wow. I was on the Princess in April of this year, and I wouldn't rate the food as "first-class hotel." The service was absolutely first class, but the food was disappointing, maybe a 6.5 out of 10. There were a few outstanding dishes, usually fish, but they really should buy better cuts of beef. The use of seasonings and spices would also be a welcome addition. Too much of the food was just ok and bland.

Forgot to mention that tho I rate the Dawn food as only a 6.5, I'm boarding her again at the end of this month. Guess it's good enough. As someone else pointed out, you can always find something on the menu that's good. In fact, they had some awesome cold soups (pear and apricot) -- and one that wasn't so great (yogurt and dill, with no dill taste at all). And, of course, they always have shrimp cocktail available as an appetizer for dinner. The salads get about a 3 out of a possible 10, but they had some excellent cheeses. They had a fabulous stuffed avocado appetizer one night that I would rate a 10. And then there was one incredible hot banana dessert. But you can forget the cherries jubilee with its 3 cherries, as well as the Baked Alaska. The fire show is nice, but it's like eating pure sugar. Again, my biggest complaint is the poor quality of the beef they use -- really tough.

I'm a very picky eater and I usually can find something to eat on the menu. Not a fish eater at all, but I usually eat chicken and/or pasta at most meals. I don't eat some sauces and don't care for salad dressings (so I'll ask for lemon slices for my salads).

You can check out the menu for that day's meals at anytime outside of the dining room. Often you can ask for the entrees without sauce. And there's the "available anytime" items such as herb chicken, which my non-picky (except that he's trying to avoid fatty foods) husband ordered twice on our last cruise. You can also go to the buffet (Horizon Court on many ships) and see what they have.

Another option is to have your TA (or put in the cruise personalizer) put you down for low fat dinners. The maite d' will come over every night, show you the next night's menu and ask you to select a dish to be cooked sans some of the fat.

I too like my plain meat and potatoes. We just got back from Alaska and our waiter was awesome. When I told him what I liked he had it for the rest of the week. At one point I asked him for a kids menu. Part of my problem is meds that I'm taking upsests my stomach so I'm very careful what I put in there. Everyone thought I was seasick and it was just a side effect of my meds.

eileen

I wish that cruiseclues site would update the menus or really provide menus at all. Everytime I look for any of my cruises, they are horribly outdated. :( That's IF any are listed at all. Or maybe I just am not using the site correctly. :confused:

When you come back from you cruise, you can help them out by sending photos of your menus. This is how they get more recent menus on their screens and the same thing with patters.

My wife is a bit on the conservative side when it comes to dining, and she gets by just fine with the Princess menus. There are a couple of nights she doesn't find much to her liking, particularly the Continental menu or anything loaded with seafood items. We have been able to get different items prepared on occasion.

I know when we looked at sailing Celebrity, their French-style menus turned my wife off the line. Princess is more of an Italian style and would seem to be far less "fancy".

I haven't found menus on Princess to be too fancy. Plenty of ordinary things to choose from. If I couldn't find anything else on the menu, I could eat the Fettucini Alfredo everynight. It's the best I've ever had. I'm a picky eater myself, and somehow managed to find enough to eat to actually gain a few pounds on each cruise.:eek:

Archived