Infant/Todler advice

rdy2cruz07

I know there has been a lot posted about cruising with infants/todlers and I would like to get some fresh advice. We are sailing RCI in Nov and are taking our 20 mo old boys. Please refrain from posting any mean comments (we really can not find anyone else to go along with us and or watch them for 5 days straight) and I believe this will be a fun family time and we also plan on taking advantage of the in room babysititng a night or two. So I am mainly looking for those who have traveled with infants and todlers and any advice you can give would be great. I know that you have to book the bbsitting when you get on board, but any tips on that other than getting there early? Also what is neccessary and what is not as far as bringing on the cruise. I have heard a lot of people say to bring an inflatable pool, but are car seats really needed? We know we are certainnly going to bring, clothing, diapers, clothes, umbrella strollers, etc. Also I am kind of worried about our cabin now. We booked an outside w/out balcony because we were worried about safety, but after reading the balconies are really safe and the door is hard to open. We are probably crazy for not booking a jr suite, but should we have at least a balcony at min. At first I was thinking we really won't spend that much time in the cabin, but it could get prety cramped pretty quick. Any thoughts? Thanks

It would be good if you could upgrade to a balcony stateroom- just because you can sit out there at night and chat and it is obviously better than just and outside. I don't know if you need to spring for a jr. suite for a 5 nighter. You'll be fine.

Don't bring car seats. Do bring two umbrella strollers- not a double stroller- just isn't enough room on board for that and since you have a husband- unnecessary. He can help.

They have a nice buffet on RCL and I never went to the diningroom with my six year old. We just went when we wanted and it was fine. This will save on you having to dress for dinner each night and 20 month olds aren't going to sit still for very long. Maybe go one or two night to the diningroom when you have an incabin sitter. That will cut down on what you have to pack in terms of formal attire.

Have a great time. I found RCL to be very relaxing and casual.:)

It would be good if you could upgrade to a balcony stateroom- just because you can sit out there at night and chat and it is obviously better than just and outside. I don't know if you need to spring for a jr. suite for a 5 nighter. You'll be fine.

Don't bring car seats. Do bring two umbrella strollers- not a double stroller- just isn't enough room on board for that and since you have a husband- unnecessary. He can help.

They have a nice buffet on RCL and I never went to the diningroom with my six year old. We just went when we wanted and it was fine. This will save on you having to dress for dinner each night and 20 month olds aren't going to sit still for very long. Maybe go one or two night to the diningroom when you have an incabin sitter. That will cut down on what you have to pack in terms of formal attire.

Have a great time. I found RCL to be very relaxing and casual.:)

Thanks, that is pretty much what I was thinking, it will be nice to go to dinner 1 or 2 nights when we get an incabin sitter that will give us at least a little alone time.

Hi,

I am sure that you have already thought of this, but some families bring along a trusted sitter to help them out on vacations/cruises. Would that be a possibility for you?

My sister-in-law still talks about the time the family she babysat for took her to Hawaii to watch the little ones. :)

I know there has been a lot posted about cruising with infants/todlers and I would like to get some fresh advice. We are sailing RCI in Nov and are taking our 20 mo old boys. Please refrain from posting any mean comments (we really can not find anyone else to go along with us and or watch them for 5 days straight) and I believe this will be a fun family time and we also plan on taking advantage of the in room babysititng a night or two. So I am mainly looking for those who have traveled with infants and todlers and any advice you can give would be great. I know that you have to book the bbsitting when you get on board, but any tips on that other than getting there early? Also what is neccessary and what is not as far as bringing on the cruise. I have heard a lot of people say to bring an inflatable pool, but are car seats really needed? We know we are certainnly going to bring, clothing, diapers, clothes, umbrella strollers, etc. Also I am kind of worried about our cabin now. We booked an outside w/out balcony because we were worried about safety, but after reading the balconies are really safe and the door is hard to open. We are probably crazy for not booking a jr suite, but should we have at least a balcony at min. At first I was thinking we really won't spend that much time in the cabin, but it could get prety cramped pretty quick. Any thoughts? Thanks

You will be spending lots of time in the cabin - a balcony will be worth it. (in my opinion)

First I want to say. You should not apologize for wanting to take a family vacation. I think that is horrible. If people wanted to not see children they should not go on a ship that is a family cruiseline. That just makes me angry that you feel the need to apologize for family time. That being said..........................

we have only been in balcony's on our cruises with our boys and this January we will be in an inside cabin. I have no idea how that will be. We do not bring carseats with. They are just in the way and no one has ever asked if we had one with. We do bring the umbrella strollers and they are a lifesaver. We always keep them on the balcony, but this time who knows where we will store them. Have a fun time on the cruise. Does RCI do in the room sitting or is a group sitting? I know NCL only has group sitting.

Hi,

I am sure that you have already thought of this, but some families bring along a trusted sitter to help them out on vacations/cruises. Would that be a possibility for you?

My sister-in-law still talks about the time the family she babysat for took her to Hawaii to watch the little ones. :)

Believe me, I am begging and pleading for my parents to come along with us..but for whatever reason they don't want to cruise and my mom is using motion sickness as an exuse. I am sure there is so much they can do for motion sickness, but she does not understand. I am still working on them, I need to spin it so they would want to come (isn't that horrible?) I think they feel that I am only asking them so they can watch the boys.Not true since we would still use incabin bbsitting, but nice to have them if we just want to check out something on our own for a couple hours...we certainly wouldn't saddle them with them the entire trip.

Really the only sitters that we use on a regular basis are sort of on the young side 14 and 15 so really wouldn't feel comfortable bringing them along just yet plus they would be in school.

First I want to say. You should not apologize for wanting to take a family vacation. I think that is horrible. If people wanted to not see children they should not go on a ship that is a family cruiseline. That just makes me angry that you feel the need to apologize for family time. That being said..........................

we have only been in balcony's on our cruises with our boys and this January we will be in an inside cabin. I have no idea how that will be. We do not bring carseats with. They are just in the way and no one has ever asked if we had one with. We do bring the umbrella strollers and they are a lifesaver. We always keep them on the balcony, but this time who knows where we will store them. Have a fun time on the cruise. Does RCI do in the room sitting or is a group sitting? I know NCL only has group sitting.

I know how terrible of me to want to bring my kids along right? I must me a terrible mother for wanting to spend time with my family. (SIC) Also with my husband traveling alot for work, he hardly sees them so this will be different and fun for us. Challenging yes, but you know when they are out of the house we will have all the time in the world to do things on our own, the boys are only young once. I think RCI only does in room sitting for those under 3 if I am correct. At least that will give us hopefully a couple of nights on our own after dinner and such so we will get enough of a mix of family and alone time. I agree, if it is that important for those to be on a crusie without children, there are cruise lines that will cater to those people.

... Does RCI do in the room sitting or is a group sitting? I know NCL only has group sitting.

Per FAQ on the RCI site:

Q: Are babysitters available onboard?

A: Babysitting is offered both in a group setting, and individually in your stateroom. In stateroom babysitting must be reserved through the Guest Relations Desk (Purser's Desk) at least 24 hours in advance.

It cannot be reserved prior to the cruise vacation and there is no guarantee that sitters will be available. The service is offered when personnel is available.

Children MUST be at least 1 year old.

Approximate Rate: $8.00 per hour for one or two children within the same family or $10.00 per hour for three children within the same family.

Times and prices are subject to change without notice. Payment must be made in cash.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful.

Kat110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Thanks! does anyone know is group sitting done in another area then and is it just done with those travelling together or is it along with other children on the ship? Sorry, new to all of this terminology.

I feel you will find lots of further information from the RCI site at www.royalcaribbean.com. Here is some info I have copied for you:

act_youngadventurers_hdr.gif

s.gif

s.gif

Fun isn't just for adults at Royal Caribbean. We offer exciting programs for guests of all ages, starting at just 6 months old! And you can feel confident leaving your children, over three years of age, with us because every member of our staff holds a college degree in education or other related field, or has qualified experience in working with children.

From 6-36 months of age, our tiniest guests and their parents are invited to participate in the Fisher-Price Aqua Babies and Aqua Tots Programs. Developed by Fisher-Price exclusively for Royal Caribbean International, these activities are hosted by trained youth staff. A parent or caregiver MUST accompany children during activity sessions.

Kids from 3-17 may take part in our complimentary Adventure Ocean® Youth Program. Adventure Ocean was specially designed to blend educational activities with just plain fun. To participate in our Adventure Ocean programs, children must be three years of age and potty-trained (diaper and pull-up free).

The RCI ships have a spacious supervised playroom offering toys, books and games for the children. They also have Teen Centers where teens enjoy a wide variety of shipboard activities from scavenger hunts and pizza parties to playing in the video arcade. If I remember correctly, there was a registration meeting in the play area on Rhapsody of the Seas after muster drill and before dinner the first night.

To help with your research, you might want to use the Search this Forum feature here on the Family Cruising Forum with your key word or words. That will help narrow down the threads you will want to read for more information.

Kat070106YA43_prv.gif

I know how terrible of me to want to bring my kids along right? I must me a terrible mother for wanting to spend time with my family. (SIC) Also with my husband traveling alot for work, he hardly sees them so this will be different and fun for us. Challenging yes, but you know when they are out of the house we will have all the time in the world to do things on our own, the boys are only young once. I think RCI only does in room sitting for those under 3 if I am correct. At least that will give us hopefully a couple of nights on our own after dinner and such so we will get enough of a mix of family and alone time. I agree, if it is that important for those to be on a crusie without children, there are cruise lines that will cater to those people.

Hi, - I think it's great bringing your kids - I do it every year and I cruise! I hate to say it but we do not bring anybody with us to help because we have a better time on our own with our kids - than to bring or beg somebody, we go with our own agenda -- based around how the kids are doing - and that way we are not ruining somebody elses plans - it's our vacation after all! there's no work schedules to keep, no sports for my son- and best of all no cell phones unless we power them on. Last year we traveled with our 2 children, ages 7 years( son) and 7 MONTHS ( daughter) we had a junior suite on the aft which is even larger than the normal Junior suite. We had so much fun, and the baby was with us in the dining room every night, sometimes our son was not because the kids club had a special dinner in Johnny Rockets and he would ditch us. ( ha ha )

We had a late seating for dinner and yes the baby was still up half the time because she would nap late it worked out - we mainly did beach excursions with the kids when we got off the ship. I know people leave older children on the ship to do excursions BUT I had never left my son behind to get off the ship to do an excursion-- makes me nervous that nobody could reach me if I am in the middle of the sea and there was an emergency!

With the exception of last year because my daughter was only 7 months old- and they need to be a year old to have a babysitter in the cabin,

I have used the inside babysitters since my son was 4 years old - they were great - the first time we used the service we met with the babysitter, Carolyn, (who was a house keeper during the day) she walked around with us for a while and then we took her to our cabin and our son was fine with the whole thing - so we went to a late dinner at Portofino - I called to check in and she said he was fine and watching tv, and then we came back with dessert for Carolyn - really we were just checking in - but it looked good! - our son was sleeping - so we went back out for another hour and then returned. We booked Carolyn 2 more times for a drink but after we had our son out until about 10:00 then we just got him ready for bed - he was ready to crash at that point and Carolyn took it from there.

If you feel comfortable- leaving your guys - I say spend the day with them and then get them fed etc... and then try to run out for a short while like say an hour then call your room and see how things are going. If you walk right in the kids might not let you walk back out even though they are fine - once they see you it might be over!

I would say if you can bump to a balcony I would-- while the kids are napping at least you and your husband can sit on the deck and have a drink - order room service and have a snack - or just vege without chasing your guys. This year we will be traveling with the kids and my daughter will be 19 months by the time of travel so I can agree it will be a challenge but it beats work!!!

Last year I did bring a blow up pool- I did bring the car seat but it was an infant seat that locked into the coach, BRING disposable or should I say lose-able everything. LOTS of Diapers, Bibs if they will still wear them and LOTS Of clothes - they charge to even wash a baby's bib ($1.00.) Some how I thought they might cut a break for a baby like 2 bibs for a buck but no they do not! I would not bring car seats -they are heavy to lug - I have done it before, there is no wear to strap them into a taxi, or a bus -some people say they wait for a taxi with seat belts -good luck trying to find one!

I would bring anything that makes your life easier - A back pack( carrier) that your child(ren) could fit into might be an idea - that's what I am planning to bring for my daughter. Bring something to keep your guys happy around the pool that they can not get into!! like small tub toys to put in the blow up pool. I also used the Fisher Price toddler time class - my daughter had a blast and was able to play with the other babies - there you find parents with ideas too! I recommend walkie talkies or renting a phone on board so in case you and your husband split up on the ship you can reach each other.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!

Don't apologize for bringing your kids! My 3 year old is going on her FOURTH cruise and my 7 year old her FIFTH in August.

We cruise for our FAMILY VACATION. And you came to the right place to ask all of the questions. You will NOT get slammed here at the family board for cruising with children. :D

At 20 months you can get in cabin babysitting on RCCL...NOT group babysitting. Group babysitting is actually for the older kids at Adventure Ocean (ages 3 and up)

You would put a "request" in for a sitter at guest services. They need 24 hours in advance...then the sitter will contact you directly.

I agree with getting a balcony. We put the kids to bed and head out on the balcony for a little alone mommy/daddy time under the moonlight. :) The balcony is the BEST option for a family with young children.

And since your kids may not be potty trained...search THIS site for info on bringing an inflatable pool to keep the boys in since the cruiselines do not allow non potty trained children in the pools.

Have a great cruise!

We just got back from an 8 day cruise with our 8 month old and we had a fabulous time. We had an inside cabin and we were not cramped at all. We had a pack n play in our room and still had a lot of floor space.. plenty of room for our little guy to play and crawl around. We really didn't spend too much time in the room except for when we were sleeping.

On days that we were visiting the different ports we stuck to the buffet for dinner. We figured it had already been a long day for all of us, so it was easier to have a casual dinner out on the deck and not worry about our son being loud and cranky in the main dining rooms. On sea days we always went to the main dining rooms. We also were able to catch 3 shows.. we made sure to always sit on the second level of the theater by the exit so we could easily leave if our son became restless. We never had a problem though, the music and lights really kept him entertained.

Definitely bring umbrella strollers that recline. You can get your kids to nap in there while you and your husband enjoy the pool deck or just walk around the ship. At 20 months old your kids will probably be a bit large for the inflatable pools. Our 8 month old is pretty snug in his at this point. Although, your guys might like the pool so they can kneel beside it and play with boats in it or something, and they can still cool off a bit by splashing each other.

I think you'll really enjoy yourself and you'll be amazed at how friendly the crew is when it comes to babies! Our son learned how to say 'hi' while on the cruise because all he heard from the crew was hi about 50 times a day!

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking my girls who are 2 on their first cruise in a little over a month. We got a balcony cabin because this way we can sit out on the balcony while they sleep.

I am bringing my regular double strolller. I would not do 2 umbrella strollers. I did that on a disney trip when they were 18 month olds. It was such a pain if they wanted out of the stroller what did you do with 2 umbrella strollers. At least with the combi, both girls can walk with one parent while the other one pushes the empty stroller (or roll it collapsed)

Are you taking flights with your two? Have you booked them seats of their own? If you are then I would recommend you bring car seats. When we cruised last year there was a lady travelling with her 2 year old twins and she had a phil and teds stroller. It is a 3 wheeler that has two seats inline, it was great for her.

I don't know about RCI I'm afraid so can't help you there.

I will say go for the balcony, more space overall. We love them.

I just want to comment on the dining - my suggestion would be to at least try the dining room a few times to start with - you might find that your boys do better than you expect. I have twin toddlers and when we cruise (they went at 13 mos, 20 months and 2 years) we eat every meal in the dining room. Vacations are the only time this mommy gets to be served, and they learned their manner really well (we bring lots of new, small toys/distractions to dinner). If they act up, we leave immediately and use the buffet as a last resort - but that only happens a couple times a cruise (if that).

I've had no problem with my Graco Duoglider (tandem double stroller) on board.

I travel alone with my twin toddlers, even though family always begs to come along. I work full time and I want my girls to myself when we're on vacation. A cruise is a perfect way to go.

Have a great time.

Best,

Mia

I totally agree with the fellow posters on the board- we went with our 3 year old and 6 year old on a 7 day in March. I am making final payment:) for Oct on the Princess Golden. It was the best family vacation we have ever had. My DH was able to relax with t he kids and not have to worry about driving, finding hotels, unpacking ,ect ect! I was able to have my family totaly around me without my cell phone rining and the computer calling- the house, the dished (you get the idea). To be honest, I am really tired of the negitive posts about kids and comments I hear all the time- why do we have to always feel so guilty about what "other" people think- I say enough!

Take your kids and have a great time! Take them to the dining room too! If you child fusses, remove them, calm them down and return to your family dinner! I feel that our kids today cannot possibly learn how to eat in a dining room until we as parents help teach them how....

Your kids will surprize you in the future when all of the sudden out of the blue your six year old asks" Mom, can we go back to that cool resturatnt on the ship where I can eat all I want?" True story no kidding- happened yesturday- That is priceless.

I hope you have the most fabulous time with your family on your vacation!

We are taking my girls who are 2 on their first cruise in a little over a month. We got a balcony cabin because this way we can sit out on the balcony while they sleep.

I am bringing my regular double strolller. I would not do 2 umbrella strollers. I did that on a disney trip when they were 18 month olds. It was such a pain if they wanted out of the stroller what did you do with 2 umbrella strollers. At least with the combi, both girls can walk with one parent while the other one pushes the empty stroller (or roll it collapsed)

I agree-as long as it is tandem and not side by side. I could barely get down the halls with the tandem stroller.

Pooh on the people who say leave the kids behind! That's no fun at all! My kids are 6 and nearly 3. My husband and I always say that they are our very favorite people!

Do bring a stroller (or two). If you are out in port and even have the kids in a backback or something, it's nice to have the stroller to put your bags in and stuff.

Bring lots of extra diapers. My son "reacted" funny - not sure if it was different water, or food, or what. But we went through lots of diapers and wipes. We were using cloth diapers, but switched to disposable for that trip!

The inflatable pool was a hit with both kids. We put in on the balcony for them to play with. Even though my daughter was 4, she sat next to it and just relaxed playing in the water.

Oh, and a balcony would make your life MUCH nicer! While they are napping, you two can sit out there and enjoy adult time. While they are awake, it's a fun place for them to play.

We did pack a few familiar foods for our kids - favorite crackers, etc. They did great with the new foods, but appreciated some comfort food as well.

Most of all - pack a camera with an extra memory card! The pictures will be wonderful!

• 3 weeks later...

Our 2 year old has sailed 3 times already...at 4 months, 13 months and 22 months. All worked out well. 2 was DCL and once was Celebrity. We would NOT do Celebrity again with a toddler as they were NOT baby friendly. We never did get to take advantage of any baby sitting. It was never avail. The cruise wasn't great.

Our oldest has sailed at age 3, 4, 5 and twice at age 6.

Every time we've sailed with the kids has been DCL except for one ill-advised Celebrity sailing. Actually the Kids Club on Celebrity for my 6 year old was pretty good. Disney worked out better though. Although it had SOOOOO many more kids than Celebrity, the quality made up for it.

We are planning to sail again in Oct or Nov this year on either DCL, or Carnival or NCL. My DD has LOVE DCL to date but is open to other lines. She just loves making new friends and swimming on the ship and going to islands. I know Carnival and NCL allow 2 year olds in their club... and DS is now 2 and ready for his 4th cruise. We are currently booked on DCL for Oct but still in the window to cancel. We MAY try Carnival or NCL.

I'm glad you're taking your kids! Don't apologize. Isn't wonderful to create memories together and spend time as a family. I know our family scrimps in other areas to be able to cruise once or twice a year. We treasure the time with our "little blessings."

Oh I forgot to mention...what a wonderful idea to put the blowup pool on your balcony another poster mentioned. Such a creative idea.

We've done balcony with our tiny one twice and it does work out great....you'll spend much more time in your cabin than you think with a baby. We loved ours.

The upside to an inside cabin (besides price) is that the little ones sleep GREAT. Nap time is easy. The also sleep longer at night and are better rested.

You win either way.

Our 2 year old has sailed 3 times already...at 4 months, 13 months and 22 months. All worked out well. 2 was DCL and once was Celebrity. We would NOT do Celebrity again with a toddler as they were NOT baby friendly. We never did get to take advantage of any baby sitting. It was never avail. The cruise wasn't great.

Our oldest has sailed at age 3, 4, 5 and twice at age 6.

Every time we've sailed with the kids has been DCL except for one ill-advised Celebrity sailing. Actually the Kids Club on Celebrity for my 6 year old was pretty good. Disney worked out better though. Although it had SOOOOO many more kids than Celebrity, the quality made up for it.

We are planning to sail again in Oct or Nov this year on either DCL, or Carnival or NCL. My DD has LOVE DCL to date but is open to other lines. She just loves making new friends and swimming on the ship and going to islands. I know Carnival and NCL allow 2 year olds in their club... and DS is now 2 and ready for his 4th cruise. We are currently booked on DCL for Oct but still in the window to cancel. We MAY try Carnival or NCL.

I'm glad you're taking your kids! Don't apologize. Isn't wonderful to create memories together and spend time as a family. I know our family scrimps in other areas to be able to cruise once or twice a year. We treasure the time with our "little blessings."

I would like to know what time of year you traveled on Celebrity and what Itinerary (Caribbean, Alaskan, Mediterranean etc.)? This is the first time I've heard that someone couldn't get any babysitting so I'm just curious.

I'm sure a lot of people like NCL, got to say I didn't like that line (they almost left my tour and one other in Cozumel- ship arranged tour), I was with a group of 50 and non of us liked the food, I'm not a fan of anytime dining but if you are then that would be a plus for you, also I found the seating for the buffet area was so crowded I was carrying on conversations with tables behind me just by turning my head slightly to the right. Oh and my fiance and I problems getting our bed to stay together every time we came back to our room we found it apart and a room down the hall had the opposite. I know a lot of people like NCL I just won't be taking it again. Then again we've never done a ship arranged tour in Cozumel since either. LOL BTW lost 4 lbs on my last Princess Cruise so I guess when it comes to food I am picky.

Do wish we were getting an inside cabin on our cruise in Dec for just the reasons you mentioned, however, it was the weirdest thing how the interior cabins sold out. I've never seen such a thing. I've been told there is a group on board. So I guess that explains it.

We just got back from an 8 day cruise with our 8 month old and we had a fabulous time. We had an inside cabin and we were not cramped at all. We had a pack n play in our room and still had a lot of floor space.. plenty of room for our little guy to play and crawl around. We really didn't spend too much time in the room except for when we were sleeping.

Definitely bring umbrella strollers that recline. You can get your kids to nap in there while you and your husband enjoy the pool deck or just walk around the ship. At 20 months old your kids will probably be a bit large for the inflatable pools. Our 8 month old is pretty snug in his at this point. Although, your guys might like the pool so they can kneel beside it and play with boats in it or something, and they can still cool off a bit by splashing each other.

I think you'll really enjoy yourself and you'll be amazed at how friendly the crew is when it comes to babies! Our son learned how to say 'hi' while on the cruise because all he heard from the crew was hi about 50 times a day!

Hi!

We are traveling with a 7 month old and I'm so excited to see others who travel with young infants on this board!

Did you bring the P&P or did the ship provide it?

She is still small enough to fit in her infant car seat, we were thinking of bringing the carseat and snap and go stroller instead of the umbrella stroller... any thoughts?

Will the ship provide you with steamed veggies and fruits to mash up or did you just bring food?

Thanks!

Archived