Infant/Todler advice

rdy2cruz07

Most strollers that hold car seats are too big and you may want to consider that so it does depend on the size. I am bringing my Inglesina Zippy which I brought on a plane trip a year ago and it is an umbella style and car seats do slip in so I won't say that's always the case so you have to think of the width of your stroller. I actually bought my stroller for my plane trip last year and one of the reasons was because of the easy fold and and lock (one hand) and it does so in an upright position.

I think the idea of being able to carry your child around in the infant car seat is great but to push the full size stroller down a corridor is really not possible. I would never bring my Graco on my cruise.

Truthfully the only time I plan on using the stroller is embarking, debarking, ports, and in the buffet lines. After the meals my husband will probably stay with my son and I'll probably run the stroller back to the room folded, different in your case since you'll be using it more.

I have ordered a Pak n Play from the cruise line but I'm going to check with them to make sure they have plenty before leaving. Since I live close to the port if they are running shore I'd rather bring my own and make sure that someone flying in has one.

Sailing with children is the best. I have taken my 6 children multiple times. (the Norway being the absolute greatest) I remember one time going into the dining room, all 6 kids, me and my husband...and the table next to us groaning and making faces, whispering that now their dinner was ruined. My children, all under the age of 10, dressed in thier Sunday best, sat around our table like 6 sweet angels. Half way through our dinner, one of the older ladies from the table next door, came over, and exclaimed that they were so pleased and extremely surprised (pleasantly) at how well behaved our children were and apologized for any and all comments that we might have heard. There is nothing more satisfying that raising children to be socially correct and showing "older" people that not all kids are rotten... and not to make judgements so fast. I too can not stand children (in public) who are unruly, loud, and rotten. I do not blame the kids, as it is all in how the parents choose to raise their children. My kids are not always perfect, but they do need to know where and when to act civilized, well behaved and socially graceful.

Sailing with children is the best. I have taken my 6 children multiple times. (the Norway being the absolute greatest) I remember one time going into the dining room, all 6 kids, me and my husband...and the table next to us groaning and making faces, whispering that now their dinner was ruined. My children, all under the age of 10, dressed in thier Sunday best, sat around our table like 6 sweet angels. Half way through our dinner, one of the older ladies from the table next door, came over, and exclaimed that they were so pleased and extremely surprised (pleasantly) at how well behaved our children were and apologized for any and all comments that we might have heard. There is nothing more satisfying that raising children to be socially correct and showing "older" people that not all kids are rotten... and not to make judgements so fast. I too can not stand children (in public) who are unruly, loud, and rotten. I do not blame the kids, as it is all in how the parents choose to raise their children. My kids are not always perfect, but they do need to know where and when to act civilized, well behaved and socially graceful.
So what is your secret?

I could use some hints right now. My parents were able to take me places and I was usually well behaved and that's what I want to be able to do with my son. Right now I'm so nervous about the cruise. My son is 21 months old and I'm hoping it's just his age, but his temper and unpredictability is unbelievable. Oh and let's not forget about his inpatients. Although he is more patient in a restaurant waiting for food then his is when he sees me making it. LOL

We took my DD on RCCL at 7 months, and Carnival at 12 months and 19 months. She is unpredictable in her behavior as well. Its the age. However, she always seems to behave better on cruises than she does at home.

We have eaten in the dining room with her each time. I think we only had to leave one time out of all the cruises because she was acting up. I bring little snacks for her to munch on while we wait for the food and quiet toys, stickers and this last time a dvd player with einstein movies for her.

The first cruise we brought the car seat but never used it. I wouldnt bring the big stroller as some of the hallways and the cabin doorway is narrow and probably wont fit. We have a peg perego aria and it fit nicely. We used it a ton all over the ship and in ports.

They do provide pack n plays or portable cribs depending on the line but remember to bring your own sheets for it.

I think you will find your baby behaving alot better than you think. There is so much to see and experience for them.

Julie

Sheets of course I keep forgetting that I should bring my own because of his sensitive skin. I also want to bring the quilted pads I put underneath in case his diaper leaks at night. I actually do 3 layers of sheets and quilted pads that way if it leaks at night you pull off one layer and you are good to go and it also it provides more padding which makes the bed softer for him. I love the Especially For You quilted pads from BabiesRUs.

We traveled with him at 9 months and he was an angel. I do plan on bringing a DVD player to the dinner table and a bag of toys and books. I don't want to many snacks before he eats because if he is not hungry for diner then he'll decide he is done and it's time to go and mommy won't get to eat. :(

Bad experiences with toddlers cruising. Was so bad I had moments in which it was my firm belief that my parents had invited us only to relish our pain as we attempted to dress a lively toddler and infant for formal night.

With kids that young, I say freestyle it! Also be sure the babysitting service is not based on a "If we aren't to busy" availability. We were told an hour before one of scheduled sits (last evening and we wanted a nice night of couple wandering) that the babysitter was going to be in the cruise cast show and so could not make it and no there would be noone else. Sheesh no fun.

Hi there - DH and I are planning for a family cruise when our son will be 30 months on RCI. We want to get a balcony cabin but we're not sure where he will sleep. RCI will provide pack 'n plays but he'll be too big for them but too small for a bed of his own (and certainly too small to sleep on a pullman). Would a sofabed by okay? We're going on Adventure of the Seas and it looks like they have some available.

Can you let me know if a balcony stateroom will be okay and where he should sleep?

Thanks!

Hi there - DH and I are planning for a family cruise when our son will be 30 months on RCI. We want to get a balcony cabin but we're not sure where he will sleep. RCI will provide pack 'n plays but he'll be too big for them but too small for a bed of his own (and certainly too small to sleep on a pullman). Would a sofabed by okay? We're going on Adventure of the Seas and it looks like they have some available.

Can you let me know if a balcony stateroom will be okay and where he should sleep?

Thanks!

I'm taking a 3yo and a 15 month old on a cruise. We're getting a balcony. I think the balcony will be great for your 30 month old. It will give you one more area to entertain him in or to escape from him while he naps.

As far as the sofabed goes...I've read that some (check with your cruiseline) sofas can be moved. Some people turn the sofa around so the leg part is against the wall. Then they make a little nest bed for their toddler/preschooler. Others bring bed rails (travel size) and put their kid in a little bed with a bed rail. You could always build a little nest of your own on the floor with the bedding they provide. Practice at home first. You could also bring an inflatable travel bed for a child with you if you're concerned about him being up high. I did a quick Google search and found several. Here's one:

http://www.sparebed.com/Gentle-Air-Child-Bed.pro

It would be easy to pack. Or, what about a travel cot:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4433186

I get lots of travel ideas from this site, then I go elsewhere to find things cheaper:

http://www.travelingwithkids.com/index.php/cName/sleep-time-travel-beds-playards

You know your kid best. It's hard to know his sleeping habits. No matter what, you'll find a solution and have a great time. Enjoy.

By the way, dh and I sailed on the AOS a few years ago (pre-kids). You'll have a blast!

I wish i came to this thread first..i posted on the RCCL message board and got slammed. We r taking out 2 1/2 old daughter on a cruise in Sept and my questions was how strict were they with letting a 2 1/2 yr old in the pool. One would have thought i was commiting a 1st degree crime. First of all my daughter doesn not act like your typical 2 yr old in the sense that she does things that 3 yrs old do. I was taken aback by the age of 3 and being potty trained on RCCL for toddlers to do anything. I understand where ther r coming from but if she is able to go in the pool and not go to the bathroom i feel she should be allowed in the pool. She is not potty trained but bc we have a pool she knows not to go in the water and she comes out and does it on the grass. So i have a month to move this along and possibly get potty trained but for her to see a pool and not be able to go on it will be pure torture for her and us. Yes they offer some sort of 45 min tot class thing but i know that mentally that is too babyish for her. For ex she is almost 36 inches tall which is the height required to go on most amusment rides...and she goes on all of them by herself and loves them. She also jumps and swims in pool by herself (with swimmies). So those of u who have traveled is there anything else for toddlers to do or should i just cancel the trip.?

So those of u who have traveled is there anything else for toddlers to do or should i just cancel the trip.?

I can't imagine cancelling the trip simply because she can't use the pool. Our daughter will be 14 months when we cruise in December. She loves the pool, but obviously won't be potty trained. Thanks to advice from here, we will likely bring a little blow-up pool and find our own area to play in. She loves to be around people, and we are so looking forward to walking around the deck with her, going to the beaches while in port, etc.

I wish i came to this thread first..i posted on the RCCL message board and got slammed. We r taking out 2 1/2 old daughter on a cruise in Sept and my questions was how strict were they with letting a 2 1/2 yr old in the pool. One would have thought i was commiting a 1st degree crime. First of all my daughter doesn not act like your typical 2 yr old in the sense that she does things that 3 yrs old do. I was taken aback by the age of 3 and being potty trained on RCCL for toddlers to do anything. I understand where ther r coming from but if she is able to go in the pool and not go to the bathroom i feel she should be allowed in the pool. She is not potty trained but bc we have a pool she knows not to go in the water and she comes out and does it on the grass. So i have a month to move this along and possibly get potty trained but for her to see a pool and not be able to go on it will be pure torture for her and us. Yes they offer some sort of 45 min tot class thing but i know that mentally that is too babyish for her. For ex she is almost 36 inches tall which is the height required to go on most amusment rides...and she goes on all of them by herself and loves them. She also jumps and swims in pool by herself (with swimmies). So those of u who have traveled is there anything else for toddlers to do or should i just cancel the trip.?

First of all, let me say that cc is the most mean-spirited board I have ever frequented (not everyone, but there are some crotchety, opinionated, self-impressed...)...except for the family cruising forum...we're a little more open minded, young, ...I have probably said too much :D... Now I'll get slammed, but that's okay, I'm learning to let those people's opinions bounce off me.

Anyway, back to your question. I don't think anyone will be standing poolside asking for a birth certificate. If you know for certain that she will not do her business in the pool, and if she looks old enough, take her in the pool. She sounds like an experienced swimmer. Have a great time. If she has any accidents in your pool at home, don't risk anyone's health by letting her swim.

Like I said in an earlier post, I'm taking a 3yo and a 1yo on our cruise in a few months. My 1 yo will not be old enough for the pool, so we're going to make our own fun on the ship. We have a balcony cabin. We may take a blow up pool for the balcony. We are going to explore every inch of the ship. We are getting off at every port and heading for tot-appropriate excursions(turtle farm, beaches, butterfly farm, etc.). I would hope the swimming pool wouldn't make or break your trip. There are SO many things to do on a cruise ship. I am planning to be flexible. We've cruised w/o kids before and had a blast. This time around I plan to take it easy and create our own fun, but I know it will be a completely different cruise than it was previously. My little one loves to eat. She'll be so happy pointing out her favorite foods at the buffet several times a day. She also loves the water. She'll love the beaches at our port towns. She'll nap a few times a day, and then it will be time for dinner then bed. I'm not too worried about keeping her busy. My ship offers a free play time in the kid camp area where I can take her to play with me. Look into that on RCI.

In the end, you know your kid best. Read all the posts on this family cruising forum. You'll get all sorts of ideas for keeping a tot busy. If you don't think yours will go for the kid camp or anything else, you may want to cancel. Good luck with your decision. :)

Lots of us have taken toddlers on cruises and had a wonderful time. She doesn't have to see the pool, so she won't be tortured. Your daughter can go swimming in all of the ports you visit. On the few sea days you have, there will be other children she can play with and you can play together as a family - you'll find the sea days fly by. On sea days we just go for a walk after breakfast and the girls find so much to explore and so many people to talk to, it's lunch before we know it. Some dancing on deck, reading or playing games on deck, then it's time to get dressed for dinner and more dancing. Plus, you could try the RCCL activities for her age - she might enjoy them.

Best,

Mia

Thank u thank u for u kind respones. We havent decided what we r going to do just yet. Yes i do know that their r other things to beside the pool but i know my daughter is a fish and loves the pool and that is what i had in my head to do on the sea days. This will be myself and my husbands 5th cruise and the first with our daughter. Yes when we r in port i do plan to head right to the beaches, i am just really torn up about the pool. I will definately pick up a blow up pool for the balcony. Thanks again and i know i will not be able to sleep tonight thinking about what to do or not do.

I just got back from the Carnival Miracle with my 2 year old twin girls (who are in the process of being potty trained).

we took them in the pool without a problem. One of my girl just wanted to splash in the low water area.

They slept on the sofa bed without a problem, but some night they had to fall asleep in the big bed first.

Thank u for providing an update because you said exactly what i needed to hear ...that someone else took their 2 yrs old who is almost potty trained to the pool ...Thank u thank u thank u.

We have decided to not cancel the cruise and try to pool potty train my DD by sept. She was in my Sister n laws pool for 3 hrs on sat w/o any swim diapers or accidents.

We are thinking about booking the Carnival Glory in May 2008.... I found this website to do some research before we booked and I'm glad I did!!! Our son will be 15 months old during our cruise (almost 16 months) and we were worried about not being able to do anything with him. My parents will be cruising with us and taking my 10 year old nephew along with them. They actually booked the cruise and asked my husband and I if we wanted to go. :D I have been on 2 cruises in the past (child free) and don't remember seeing any small children (under the age of 5-6)

I was taking notes as I read this thread... and they will go a long way in helping to make our decision.

Does anyone know... do children under a certin age get a discount.. or do they pay the same rate an adult would? I have emailed a travel agent, but have not heard back from her yet.

Thank u for providing an update because you said exactly what i needed to hear ...that someone else took their 2 yrs old who is almost potty trained to the pool ...Thank u thank u thank u.

We have decided to not cancel the cruise and try to pool potty train my DD by sept. She was in my Sister n laws pool for 3 hrs on sat w/o any swim diapers or accidents.

I am assuming that you aren't going on RCCL Freedom or Liberty right? Cause now they DO have a non-potty trained toddler area. :D

Just didn't want you to stress if you didn't have to.

What ship will you be on? I would never cancel a cruise based on potty training. My youngest potty trained at 2 and still didn't want to step foot in Carnival's salt water pool.

Now at the H20 zone on RCCL Freedom, that was a different story. I couldn't drag her from there.

Our son will be 15 months old during our cruise (almost 16 months) and we were worried about not being able to do anything with him. I have been on 2 cruises in the past (child free) and don't remember seeing any small children (under the age of 5-6)

I was taking notes as I read this thread... and they will go a long way in helping to make our decision.

Does anyone know... do children under a certin age get a discount.. or do they pay the same rate an adult would? I have emailed a travel agent, but have not heard back from her yet.

I also took tons of cruises pre-parenthood and never noticed small children. You'll be amazed now that you have kids how many you see - especially on Carnival. I think it's a combination of the fact that ships are trying to appeal to families with children, even very young ones, and that you end up in different places at different times on the ship than you used to be.

The price depends on the cruise line I think, and I'm not sure about Carnival for a child under 2. On Princess, they pay the same as an adult - though if the child is the 3rd passenger in the cabin, there's a good discount for the 3rd & 4th passenger in a cabin.

Have a great trip. It's certainly different with kids - but it's as wonderful as ever.

Best,

Mia

We love cruising with our DD. She will have been on 4 cruises by her 2nd birthday. It isnt as relaxing as cruising without kids but is a very enjoyable vacation. We wouldnt think of leaving her behind.

On Carnival ships they have a 3 foot ledge around the pool that has about 1-2 inches of water. I would sit with her right there and she would stomp her feet in it or float little water toys. That way she can play in the water but not actually go in. We have seen lots of babies/toddlers doing this. We also have brought the blow-up pool to the deck before and filled it with pool water usng an empty beer bucket (just ask for one at the bar). We found a very small one at Walmart for about $2. They also have the blow-up bathtubs that are really small that you can use for about $10.

My DD loves water too, We have always had fun with water on cruise ships too even if she couldnt swim in the pools.

Julie

Archived