Buying booze at Canada Place?

elkruiser

We'll be sailing out of Vancouver on the Island Princess in Aug and want to bring wine but don't want the extra weight to pack it in checked luggage. We are also doing US Direct. Is there a shop we can buy our booze before we embark? Thanks for all the advice so far. We upgraded to a minisuite and a glass of wine on our balcony before dinner with friends sounds great.

elkcruiser, we are also wondering where we can buy wine at a reasonable price, to pack in our checked luggage when we board. We're flying into Vancouver on Sunday afternoon for a Monday embarkation on the Coral. Staying at Sutton Place Sunday night (would NEVER have done this without the Hot Wire tips we got from these boards!) and are hoping to find something close to the hotel, and also whether you can buy on Sunday of if we must wait until Monday morning. Any information from local or Vancouver-savy folks would be greatly appreciated - we always learn so much from this site!

Ask the Concerige at the Sutton Place Hotel. There is a liquor store close to Canada Place but that one is a hike from the Sutton Place Hotel. I think there is one closer on Alberni St. or close to that. I am not sure of their hours or whether or not they are open on a Sunday. I know I am a local but don't drink much + I live out in the suburbs.

Please be aware that our liquor including wines are very heavily taxed so the prices are not cheap like what you are used to in the USA stores.

Try http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/customerservice for the (Sunday) hours of the "Signature" store at Thurlow and Alberni. I was there in May, prior to a cruise, and was indeed disappointed because the exchange rate, coupled with the almost-monopoly pricing, meant wines sold for almost twice what I pay in San Diego. You can check the prices on the web-site to compare what you pay at home. Of course, it would only take one broken bottle of Ch. CheapoVinoRouge 2007, that you packed in your checked luggage, to "cost" a lot more! There are a few private wine shops, but no beverage alcohol is sold in grocery stores, drug stores, etc. Many posts here report packing wine with no problem, so you'll get lots of opinions before it's over!

Happy Cruising

Archived