Explorer to Bermuda June 3, a few notes

Huge traffic jam at 11:15 starting at the .5 mile marker to port. Our driver jumped line and cut thru a restricted area, but we got away with it. This probably saved us 20 minutes in line. Arrived at terminal about 11:35. Quite confusing and hard to find out where to check luggage. Look for women in yellow vests. Finally got into terminal. Fastest check in ever at Diamond/Suite checkin. No line, just walked right up to desk. Took about 2 minutes, then on to "lounge". Boarded shuttle bus to ship at 12 noon. No problem at all with getting our 1 box of wine and 1 bottle of liquor on board in checked luggage.This was our first time on Explorer, and have been on Voyager and Navigator. Really enjoyed the Aquarium Bar, which actually is a functionong aquarium, unlike the dry one on Voyager. Of course, this is in place of the Boleros bar on Navigator, with it's beautiful glass flowers. Was interested in the "knucklehead" Harley and side car on Promenade, instead of the sports cars on VOS and NOS. Missed the elegant Vintages that is on NOS instead of the sports bar. The atrium is not nearly as visually stunning as NOS. Just no comparison. The Windjammer offered far less variety at lunch than any of the several ships we have been on in the past 3 years. Also, food was never hot. However, on formal might we went to the WJ, and there was a good selection of very good food, including cherries jubilee with real ice cream just like in the dining room. There is more seating space in the Promenade Cafe than on NOS, but less food displayed. Pizza. sandwiches and cookies were great, as they have been on all our cruises aboard this class ship. Our room steward was great, kept my husband in extra ice every day and evening. Food was not as good as some former cruises. We really don't like the "Get out There" menu that has been substitued for Caribbean night. There were fewer soups and appetizers and no spinach salad was offered. Our waiter and head waiter were OK, not in any way outstanding. The assistant waiter was clueless. The Concierge Lounge was packed the first night and never was that terribly busy the rest of the cruise. The Concierge didn't make any effort to keep drinks and food in the lounge. Many people went in and out with both. On the return, we had to go to the Concierge to get our white tags for first off. We were worried about getting into another traffic jam. No problem, however. We went toward the taxi "stand" area, and were advised that there was a Yellow Cab shuttle bus to Newark airport for $14 pp. Much cheaper than a taxi, which had cost us $45 from the airport Courtyard Marriot to the port. By the way that hotel had a marvelous bed and very helpful staff. I will post a few notes on Bermuda on that port of call board. Hope this information can be helpful to some cruisers.

I am booked on the EOS on September 9th 5th nights to Bermuda as well.

I was on the EOS in April and was wondering if Ricky is still running the conceige room. We booked a cabin near the club as we enjoy conceigere call. How was the cruise in Bermuda - seas rough? Did you walk to snorkel park,

Thanks,

Dave from New Jersey

75 cruises and 75 more to go

I was on the June 3rd sailing and also booking on the Sept. 9th cruise.

This was my 4th cruise (3rd on RCI) and on Monday, the 4th, had the roughest seas by far that I have experienced. Luckily my niece and I didn't need the Bonine or seabands I brought, but talked to several people that were sick. Felt some movement on our second sea day, but no where near as bad.

We ate the Windjammer every night, so I don't know what was on the dining room menu. But, I have to agree that the selection was not as good on other ships, although, we never had a problem with the food being hot. Also, the staff at the Windjammer was very attentive. One gentleman, a manager, I think (wore a different uniform - suit), had our drinks of choice waiting for us at a window table when he saw us in line for food.

Our first day in Bermuda, we went to Horseshoe Beach - absolutely beautiful. However, I think on the Sept. sailing I will try the beach at Snorkel Park for convenience.

Did you walk to snorkel park,

Thanks,

Dave from New Jersey

75 cruises and 75 more to go

Dave, We were there in October, and it is a very short walk to snorkel park. Everything is right there near the pier.

You might want to bring rubber water shoes because I went in the water without them and there are millions of tiny seashells in the shallows.

There's a pavillion and a big inflatable waterslide, benches, etc. (It's really nice). The dolphin adventure is right next to it, enclosed in a stone quarry. The marketplace is there as well.

Yes, Ricky is the concierge. Snorkle park cannot in any way be compared to the natural beaches that I saw or have seen pictures of. It is so easy to get to the southshore beaches on bus #7. If you do go to Snorkle park, it is a short walk once over to the dockyards. Umbrellas and chairs are $10 each, or 2 charis and 1 umbrella for $25. I specifically checked so I could report on this board. Here's what I remember of the "Get Out There" menu. Parmesean crusted turkey cutlets (I had tried this on a previous cruise and found it to be simply breaded and fried, dry turkey;) cornmeal dusted talapia; shrimp and crab salad appetizer had virtually no flavor; asperagus and brie tart as entree which was suprisingly tastless; a "shoulder" fillet in shiraz sauce, which my husband let me taste and it was pretty good; a nice BBB for dessert-Baily's, banana brule and some sort of chocolate cake that my husband said was too dry. Sorry, I can't remember the other selections. I was doubly disappointed as this menu was offered the first night in place of the usual first night menu with the vidalia onion tart, spinach salad and herb crusted cod, some of my favorite RCI selections. Yes, the seas the night of June 3 and nearly all of June 4 were the roughest we have ever experienced on 17 cruises. However, on the last sea day returning was very smooth by noon and stayed so all night. Or at least there was not enough movement to waken me. We didn't get sick at all. But sleeping was not good the first night due to sudden hard lurches that would awaken us.

Archived