Who can use the Courtyard Villa Deck?

maryella

We are booked in a Courtyard villa on the Gem. We have 8 other family members traveling with us and staying in suites on Deck 11. Can they come up to the courtyard deck to our room? Sit with us on the courtyard deck etc? How restricticed is this area?

I believe the Courtyard area is only for use by those who are booked in a courtyard-level suite. If the courtyard perk doesn't come with the cabin you've booked, you really shouldn't be up there (at least that's my understanding).

Of course, your family members could come up and see your room, but I think the reason they restrict it is to (a) avoid overcrowding and (b) because there are little treats and soda, etc. up there that is intended for use only by those who have paid for the perk.

I would imagine that maybe you could arrange for them to see the courtyard area, but I wouldn't have them up there using the space regularly, out of consideration for the other passengers who have booked for the courtyard. Just my thoughts. :) There are many opinions out there on this, and I'm sure many people will share. :D

We are booked in a Courtyard villa on the Gem. We have 8 other family members traveling with us and staying in suites on Deck 11. Can they come up to the courtyard deck to our room? Sit with us on the courtyard deck etc? How restricticed is this area?

Generally they can come to your room but the public areas are restricked to those booked into A1 A2 A3 and AA suites. I am sure you can get the conceirge to allow you to let a few of the family at a time tour the area with you but it would not be right for those who paid 1000s extra to take up the limited public space with the 8 members of your group. :o

maryella: there is limited seating in the CY and on sea days, almost every "bed" and chair/ottoman was in use by those staying on deck 14. Shoreguy is correct, we pay a large premium above the cost of an AB (deck 11) or any other suite for the use of this CY and I personally would have a problem with those not staying in a CY being in what is essentially a non-public space. We originally booked an AB and when we got the upsell call, we did so mainly for the CY. We made friends with a few cc'ers from our rollcall who really wanted to see the CY but in trying to be respectful of others in the CY, we did not ask them to come-up for a "tour". During our 9 day cruise, there were several groups of people that were brought through to see the CY and my husband and I looked at each other and said "now we know how the zoo animals feel" - I know to some of you it sounds silly but it was somewhat embarrassing to be lounging around or eating lunch in the CY and have a "tour" go through while we were there..............

star7228: no sodas in the CY - snacks through the day yes but no free soda. There is a CY bar waiter who comes through periodically and takes drink orders but there is a charge.

Maryella:

The policy on NCL has changed in the last three months or so. When we were on the Pearl in Feb, we meet a couple who had a suite in the Courtyard Villa up on Deck 14, which takes a private card to enter via the elevator. At that time, guests from other decks were allowed up to the CourtYard Villa area.

Since then and on our May 20-27th, 2007 voyage to Alaska back on the Pearl, Michael Kleverick the Hotel Director gave a few CruiseCritic members a private tour on Sunday morning after guests had left the ship. One of the questions asked by your fellow cruise critic members was "can Courtyard Villa guests have passengers from other decks up top?". The answer was NO. Micheal explained that when paying $25-30,000 for the CourtYard Villa, paying Deck 14 passengers were complaining that other Deck 14 guests were inviting other family members/strangers from lower decks and partying, using the amentities on Deck 14, and other high roller passengers were complaining.

So the new policy, (at least for the Pearl) is NO outside passengers or family members up to deck 14 unless they have a stateroom on the Deck. I would have to totally agree. Its super upscale, the best of the ship, on the Pearl as well as the Gem. I can't see why paying passengers for Deck 14 would want to be bothered by lower deck passengers, family members or not. Since it's an upscale cruiser and celebrities who spend the money for the Villa area, I can't blame them for wanting to have the ultimate of privacy and that's the image the CourtYard Villas portray.

I can only say good luck, but really think it's a good policy that Deck 14 is for Deck 14 passengers only. If it was me as a passenger, I would also complain if other guests, from other decks were able to use the facilities.

I suggest carfefull planning to see who is the Hotel Director on the Gem, (which I understand for the transatlantic will be Klaus Lugmeier) and send him a personal email to get the policy of other visitors to Deck 14 and the Garden Villa area. Then you will know, don't have to take the chance of sneeking others up, and creating any embarassment for yourself and your immediate passengers on Deck 14.

I think it's just a matter of respect to the other passengers not to have outside guests in that prestige area.

It's awesome, and you will have a splendid time, even if it's your immediate party.

Enjoy, your going to get the ultimiate of royal treatment in the Courtyard Villa Deck 14.

we`re booked in an os this month on the dawn and not sure of all the perks but if i were in a garden villa i would`nt want anyone there that did`nt pay to be there. it does`nt seem fair to the other gv guests to give up space for those that are`nt entitled to it. i can`t believe sneakerstud has`nt chimed in on this subject yet.

maryella: there is limited seating in the CY and on sea days, almost every "bed" and chair/ottoman was in use by those staying on deck 14. Shoreguy is correct, we pay a large premium above the cost of an AB (deck 11) or any other suite for the use of this CY and I personally would have a problem with those not staying in a CY being in what is essentially a non-public space. We originally booked an AB and when we got the upsell call, we did so mainly for the CY. We made friends with a few cc'ers from our rollcall who really wanted to see the CY but in trying to be respectful of others in the CY, we did not ask them to come-up for a "tour". During our 9 day cruise, there were several groups of people that were brought through to see the CY and my husband and I looked at each other and said "now we know how the zoo animals feel" - I know to some of you it sounds silly but it was somewhat embarrassing to be lounging around or eating lunch in the CY and have a "tour" go through while we were there..............

star7228: no sodas in the CY - snacks through the day yes but no free soda. There is a CY bar waiter who comes through periodically and takes drink orders but there is a charge.

I can understand where you are coming from but the way you come off is like you are better than everyone on that boat. I am glad you have the 1000's extra to pay for that, but not everyone is that fortunate. Granted I am not saying that the whole boat should be there but if a small few come up at a time what's the big deal. It is nice how you refer to yourself as animals in a zoo and the rest of the people as oglers. This is one of the first posts that rubbed me the wrong way. If it was your family I am sure you wouldn't mind letting them up

I can understand where you are coming from but the way you come off is like you are better than everyone on that boat. I am glad you have the 1000's extra to pay for that, but not everyone is that fortunate. Granted I am not saying that the whole boat should be there but if a small few come up at a time what's the big deal. It is nice how you refer to yourself as animals in a zoo and the rest of the people as oglers. This is one of the first posts that rubbed me the wrong way. If it was your family I am sure you wouldn't mind letting them up

I did not see it that way - the fact is those that spend 1000s more for that small ship experience inside a big ship. Passengers deserve what they paid for. Not that they are better but it was worth the extra $ to gain that privacy. I have never seen the value in spending 1000s more for an A3 then an AB but that is me.

As far as the zoo think of it like a bunch of strangers marching thru your home and how uncomfortable that would make you as you sat on your sofa in your PJs. The courtyard is and is sold as a private space. We all should respect the privacy they paid dearly for.

I did not see it that way - the fact is those that spend 1000s more for that small ship experience inside a big ship. Passengers deserve what they paid for. Not that they are better but it was worth the extra $ to gain that privacy. I have never seen the value in spending 1000s more for an A3 then an AB but that is me.

As far as the zoo think of it like a bunch of strangers marching thru your home and how uncomfortable that would make you as you sat on your sofa in your PJs. The courtyard is and is sold as a private space. We all should respect the privacy they paid dearly for.

I agree with you but the post just came off as arrogant, maybe it was just me but that's my opinion :rolleyes:

I agree with all that you have said.

And, I believe when the Jewel first started sailing....CV guests were bringing in too many visitors and it got out of hand.

NCL was forced to enforce the rules regarding the private courtyard.

We were entitled to use the courtyard on the Jewel. On that 12 day cruise, we only went up to look at it. We never returned.

There is plenty of "public" space on the ship to get together with family members:)

hi, i am sure anyone that you invite to your court room is allowed to be there, wow injoy the space, let us know how it is....

That is true, but ONLY as far as them being in their own Courtyard Villa. Of course they can invite family to visit them in their suite. They may not invite guests to use the Courtyard and Courtyard sundeck with them. Those areas are reserved solely for the use of A1, A2, AA, A3, and A4 passengers. In other words, passengers who have paid a premium for the privacy and amenities that are part of those suites.

For anyone who thinks it's arrogant to expect that those who have not paid for the special amenities should be kept out the Courtyard, think of it this way: If someone books an inside cabin, that is what they cruise in. Should they expect to have a balcony because other passengers have booked and paid for a balcony cabin and it's somehow not "fair" for inside cabin passengers not to have everything that balcony cabin guests have. Or think of it as if someone who booked a balcony cabin demanded that they have the butler service and other perks of the penthouse passengers because it's not "fair" for the penthouse passengers to have something that the balcony passengers do not.

It's quite simple: Those who pay the premium for the extra amenities are the only ones who are entitled to them, and that goes for the Courtyard and Courtyard sundeck too.

Would you buy an inexpensive car and then complain because someone else bought a really expensive car? Would you expect that person to "share" the expensive car with you?

beachchick

CruiseNurseBabe82:

If it was your family I am sure you wouldn't mind letting them up

I'm sure that shoreguy would like to let his family visit (if that was the situation), but he wouldn't and he wouldn't ask. That's the point. Neither would my DH and I. I wouldn't have dreamed of inviting non-Courtyard guests to share the Courtyard with us, family or not. It would have been disrespectful to the other Courtyard guests, and it would have been against the rules.

It is also inappropriate to have "tours" of the Courtyard. This isn't an amusement park. Courtyard guests are entitled to enjoy the Courtyard without guided tours walking through. Nowhere does it say that all passengers are entitled to visit all parts of the ship. There's a reason that you need to insert your card in the elevator or in the door at the top of the stairs: The Courtyard is a restricted area.

beachchick

yeah...add me to the list of "it's very inconsiderate".

there are so many analogies we can use to describe this. now if Maryella simply wanted to "show" her own villa...i suppose that can be done. and even if Maryella were able to keep her family inside her villa...you just KNOW some will want to see the rest of the CY.

if you were travelling in such a large group...why did you not just get adjoining rooms? (perhaps you booked first and the rest booked later? perhaps an upsell that couldn't be passed up?) then you would have all been able to be near one another.

there is nothing arrogant with the way my fellow posters have replied. these are seasoned cruisers who work hard for everything they have...and they know that respect is the key when it comes to cruising.

let's just respect people for how they choose to spend their vacation time.

I did not see watchdiva's post that way at all (and BTW it is not likely that I will ever be in a cabin with CY privilages - too cheap I guess).

I think people in these cabins pay A LOT extra for privacy and have a right to enjoy it without being stared at and crowded out by people who have not paid to be there. The trouble is if one cabin brings up guests - then another will and pretty soon the CY guests won't have room in their own areas.

If someone wants their family to socialize with them in THEIR CY cabin that is one thing but to take them into reserved "CY public" areas is intrusive. If aomeone is a CY guest and wants family and friends to see the CY - why not try to arrange a tour AFTER everyone has left on disembarkation day?

For anyone who thinks it's arrogant to expect that those who have not paid for the special amenities should be kept out the Courtyard, think of it this way: If someone books an inside cabin, that is what they cruise in. Should they expect to have a balcony because other passengers have booked and paid for a balcony cabin and it's somehow not "fair" for inside cabin passengers not to have everything that balcony cabin guests have. Or think of it as if someone who booked a balcony cabin demanded that they have the butler service and other perks of the penthouse passengers because it's not "fair" for the penthouse passengers to have something that the balcony passengers do not.

Would you buy an inexpensive car and then complain because someone else bought a really expensive car? Would you expect that person to "share" the expensive car with you?

beachchick

This is an incorrect take on what the OP was asking. The original question came from a person who HAS booked and paid for the CV asking whether or not guest privileges come with her suite, not someone who is in a lower category trying to horn in. There have been no replies from anyone suggesting they, as lower category passengers ought to be able to have access.

I'd imagine that if maryella wants this cruise to be a 'total immersion family experience' then being in the CV may not fit the bill; she'll either have to spend her time up there alone or forgo it in favor of the lower common areas. Good to think about in advance if anyone is planning to sail as part of a larger group.

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. Surprising to me: $14,000.00 + $3.50 & tip will get you a can of pop on the CV sundeck:eek: !

Where do you buy soda :D On any NCL ship that will get you 2 cans ;)

Oh, two cans! Not nearly so bad for $14,003.50 + tip! With the Canadian dollar so strong right now I don't know how I can afford not to!:D

Happy Sails,

Annette

watchdiva, I have to agree with you. While on the Pearl, a guest decided on their own to have a friends/family party in the CY. It made us feel very uncomfortable to even walk out there. There was no room for us to sit and have a quiet lunch in the area. We went to Cagney's to eat lunch and when we came back, the group was gone. Our take was they were asked to leave or retire to their CV with there friends/family. Because it is a small area, you do get to know your fellow cruisers. (We were told we could not invite other guest to visit the CY but they could visit in our cabin).

CruiseNurseBabe82:

I'm sure that shoreguy would like to let his family visit (if that was the situation), but he wouldn't and he wouldn't ask. That's the point. Neither would my DH and I. I wouldn't have dreamed of inviting non-Courtyard guests to share the Courtyard with us, family or not. It would have been disrespectful to the other Courtyard guests, and it would have been against the rules.

It is also inappropriate to have "tours" of the Courtyard. This isn't an amusement park. Courtyard guests are entitled to enjoy the Courtyard without guided tours walking through. Nowhere does it say that all passengers are entitled to visit all parts of the ship. There's a reason that you need to insert your card in the elevator or in the door at the top of the stairs: The Courtyard is a restricted area.

beachchick

i could`nt agree more

This is an incorrect take on what the OP was asking. The original question came from a person who HAS booked and paid for the CV asking whether or not guest privileges come with her suite, not someone who is in a lower category trying to horn in. There have been no replies from anyone suggesting they, as lower category passengers ought to be able to have access.

I'd imagine that if maryella wants this cruise to be a 'total immersion family experience' then being in the CV may not fit the bill; she'll either have to spend her time up there alone or forgo it in favor of the lower common areas. Good to think about in advance if anyone is planning to sail as part of a larger group.

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. Surprising to me: $14,000.00 + $3.50 & tip will get you a can of pop on the CV sundeck:eek: !

Actually, that wasn't in response to maryella's question. It was in response to posters who basically said that it's arrogant for CY passengers to think that they are "better" or "more special" than other passengers--and the accusations seem to revolve around people saying that no guests should be allowed because CY passengers have paid a premium to be there and have those amenities that are listed as just for them. That's not arrogant. IMO, it's insulting to think that CY passengers consider themselves superior or something. I'm sure some do (and I'm pretty sure there were a couple of them in one of the GVs on PoH), but even then, they've paid for the privilege to be there and others haven't.

As far as maryella's post, I've of two minds on it. She knows that the CY is for CY (and AA) passengers, and she's asking how strict they are with this rule. It's important that she ask herself how she would feel if every other CY passenger invited 8 family members to share the CY area and amenities. (That would be something like 120+ extra people!) The space is designed for the maximum number of passengers that would cruise in the A1s, AA, A2, A3/A4s; NCL advertises it as this special, more intimate space. If all those suites invited 2 or 3 guests, it would stil be massively overcrowded. Even so, the issue isn't about the numbers. If one person is allowed to bring guests, then all must be allowed to, and then the CY is no longer a special ship-within-a-ship that CY passengers have paid for. Still, I understand her dillemna. She naturally wants to spend time in the CY and she naturally wants to spend time with the rest of her family.

Anyway, my response about why it's not "arrogant" to say that the CY should be for those who've paid for it only, wasn't directed at maryella.

beachchick

FormulaRacer: Wanted to thank you for considering my DH and me "celebrities" and "high rollers." Unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth. We lucked out and got the upsell steal of a lifetime for our A4 on PoH. In fact, on that particular cruise more than half of the CY passengers were there because of upsells, not because they could spend so many thousands extra for the suites. I know that many people do pay the premiums outright, but not all of us do. Some who could afford to probably do not. I just wanted to point out that it is a special and private space, but not necessarily inhabited solely by those who have fame, power, and/or money. (I'd settle for just the money part of that.)

We're happy we got "the call" to upsell, but we would have been perfectly happy with our aft mini-suite. There was nothing so special about us that we got the upsell; we just happened to be on the list and offered the right deal at the right time.

beachchick

Archived