Planning parents' cruise

cruisingbug

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to collect information for my parents, who are tentatively planning to cruise to Alaska in September to celebrate their 60th birthday year. I've been on 4 cruises and I've spent 6 weeks in Anchorage myself, but I've never combined the two. Mom has never been cruising and has knee problems. Dad was in the Navy, so has sea experience; he's into hunting/fishing/hiking and Alaska is more his idea than Mom's.

So, with that info, I'm looking for advice. After reading the posts here, I think that a SB with a land tour first (either thru cruise line or on their own) looks best, and on either Celebrity, Princess, NCL or HAL. Of course, they will decide on their own excursions, but which itinerary/cruise line of those four do you think would accommodate their vastly different activity levels? Would anyone NOT go in September/why?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Norwegian Dawn 2/29/04

Carnival Inspiration 3/9/03

Pacific Princess 9/23/01

Celebrity Century 10/1/99

Check the average temps, it may be a bit chilly in september

Juneau:

May: Hi: 56 low:40

June: 62/46

July: 64/49

August 63/48

Sept: 56/44

Anchorage:

May: 55/39

June: 62/47

July: 65/52

Aug: 63/49

Sept: 55/41

Just info to help in decision making. If they arent going to "get out there" in the cold then its not an issue, but we had to consider the temp cause we were going kayaking, hiking and such,.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;8;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Days till we sail the Infinity to Alaska

I too wouldn't recommend after the first week of Sept. More chances of cold weather- less daylight inside passage- by mid Sept dusk at 7pm. Perhaps consider end of August into Sept?? My preference is also a Seward departure- IF THEY take advantage of a Kenai fjords boat trip of activities in Seward- supurb. Otherwise it won't matter- Whittier/Seward. For Denali Park consider at least the Tundra Wilderness TOUR if they go that route, Eielson or Wonder Lake if going independent? Get input from them if they want to go the rental car B&B route?? Excellent adventures to be had, very simple to arrange your self. But they may have a tour preference?? Go for as long as they can afford- ideally at least 14 days total.

Cruisingbug,

We're doing the cruisetour with carnival starting 28 Aug, cruise portion starting 1 Sep. Choose this because it gave us 2 nights in Denali, which was a major plus. You have about a 35% chance of actually seeing the entire mountain any day, since the mountain makes it's own weather. Your dad should be very happy with the fishing in early sep, since the salmon should be running. But don't go too late, as the cold can get bitter. Other advantage to sep is the chance to see the northern lights in Denali.

As far as your mom's knee problems, I have them too (thanks to the Navy). Tell the cruise ship ahead of time, and they'll let you know how they can accomodate you. Carnival will have a chair for me during embarkation/debarkation, since I can't stand long. Most of the ports have bus tour or boat options that won't require her to walk or stand much. The land portion of our tour is mainly train or bus.

To decide on the cruise line, you really have to decide what's the most important thing - price, itinerary, shipboard atmosphere. We choose carnival because it did both Skagway and Sitka, but gave up Glacier Bay. I wanted Sitka more than any other stop, because of the unique Russian history there - that narrowed it down a good bit. We also like the more active environment on Carnival. We've heard very good things about Holland and Princess though.

I hope that helps. OH - get a cabin on the side of the ship facing EAST the majority of the time - Starboard if going north, Port if going south. They'll have a better view.

DMS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;9;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Spirit 9/1

I have sailed Carnival 3 times to Alaska- passengers were similar to all the other lines with middle aged and above the norm. icon_smile.gif The environment certainly was not more "active". icon_smile.gif Very very different compared to Caribbean sailings.

For clairfication- the 35% sighting for McKinley is essentially no sightings for most. The sightings can also be partial brief views. Consider any view a gift. As for Northern Lights- lodging outside of Denali Park used by cruise tours will not have good viewing. Best is with a car- heading up the highway 10 miles or so for clear open areas- Healy area.

Archived