Photography

xcamtv

I am a serious photographer who takes great pleasure in visiting new places and recording images. Is there any kind of photo oriented events during Seabourn cruises? Any guest experts? Jim

Jim,

I too enjoy visiting new places and taking photographs. :D Since falling in love with Seabourn, I have been enjoying being pampered on the crossings with a few photos taken in Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands or the Azores. Seabourn does not have any dedicated photo events onboard, per se, but her globe-trotting itineraries more or less do the trick. ;)

In fact, about 3 or 4 years ago, Seabourn ceased having photographers onboard for several reasons. The main reason, with the explosion of digital cameras and laptop computers, passengers were taking their own pictures, emailing or posting them here and not having the photographers developing their film before returning home. Hence, for your "photo event," you will need to pick an itinerary with many photo ops. Not hard to do IMHO.

Granny, thanks for your kind words! :)

on the seabourn pride the captain ran a contest. It was great. He is one heck of a photographer. many people bring on some great equipment but I am not sure how well they can use them. From time to time crystal has a very good photo program on board. I once went on a cruise that had the Nikon people on board giving lessons and a news photoghrapher from time and the new your times. Was great fun we all went out during the day and took our picks and placed them up on a board to show the others how good our eye was. They even had a playboy photographer on board he was very interesting. He had private sessions on the front of the boat behind privacy curtains to take pictures. You would not believe how many women signed up. Vet private very nice.

I worked for NBC News as a documentary cameraman for 25 years, before that I did both still and motion picture work.. Now I'm just enjoying playing with all of the new digital toys. We are on the Spirit for 21 days..Istanbul..Black Sea.. Greece..Adriatic ending up in Venice..There should be two or three good pictures out of that!!! Jim

Hi Jim...

Although I'm not a photographer by trade, I too enjoy taking pics and the interesting itineraries offered by the high-end lines combined with a good eye make photography great fun.

In fall 2005 some of my pics from various cruises were exhibited here in New York City and about 10 sold...which was just about enough to pay for the next cruise. :D

I'll have to think about paying for some of my travel with my pictures..We are on Spirit out of Istanbul Aug 4..Anybody on this cruise interested in photography??..Maybe we can get together...Jim

Hi Blackbird.....I am thinking that during my SA cruise, when I find some spare time (plenty of sea days) I might throw together some ~little~ web pages like I am doing "around Oz"....instead of a "blog" like I did last cruise....what do you think?? Some links to some "South American" style graphics and animations would be helpful if you ever fall across any!! I will need to download everything I need before I leave home.......:rolleyes:

Thanks also for the kind comments. Unfortunately, Seabourn does not have any specifically photo-oriented activities. As has been said, I have frequently volunteered to put on a slideshow of images I have taken on cruises and these have always have been well-received. The Amazon and Machu Picchu were my personal favourites. I have a few times offered to do these on a more formalised basis but Seabourn did not take this up. But I should add that I may have been the first to pursue my hobby so publically by posting photos on this forum but there have been some excellent photographers who have followed and probably surpassed my efforts - especially GrannyLorr, Blackbird71 and PeaSea8ch.

May I add a small announcement which I hope the moderators will not delete or move too quickly. I have not been posting much lately and even my reading the forum has gone down from three times a day. This is going to be the longest time between cruises for me. The reason is that my girfriend, Patricia, has been taking up much of my time and, after 57 years of becoming an increasingly crotchedy old bachelor, yesterday I asked Patricia to marry me and she said yes. We will be getting married in November. Patricia is from Colombia and that poses a problem and is why we will not be able to have our honeymoon cruise until October next year (Moderators: this is the Seabourn link!). First, we have to go through all sorts of procedures to get Patricia the right visas to stay in England with me but the more difficult thing is that it is difficult for Colombian nationals to get visas for some countries, especially the US. So our first cruise will be in the Med on the Spirit about 11 months after we marry! It will be our first proper vacation together after the wedding and will be our honeymoon cruise. It will be wonderful to bring together the two things I love most, Patricia and Seabourn (of course, in that order!) I am hoping that my friend, Captain G-A-T-N, may be the Master at that time.

after 57 years of becoming an increasingly crotchedy old bachelor, yesterday I asked Patricia to marry me and she said yes. .

Congratulations Norm. LOL Blackbird's 58 and still a happy crotchedy old bachelor. Hopefully there will be some photos from around Colombia.

One of my favorite authors is a former fish guide in Florida / writer turned full-time fiction writer loves Colombia and spend some time there writing after his house in Florida took some damage from Hurricane Charlie. http://rwwhite.com/about.html I know he has been a lecturer on the QMII. anim_thinking.gif

Norman and Patricia!

That is wonderful news! I really want to congratulate the both of you very much! Too bad that you have to wait such a long time for your Seabourn honeymoon. I remember I was one of the first Seabourn guests, whom Norman told that he had met this lovely lady from Columbia. I helped him pick a gift from the shop. And now you have announced your wedding plans. Great Norman, all the happiness in the world!

Marja (and René)

The good thing about Seabourn is their access to small ports. Not so many tourists cluttering up your pix. Kotor, Montenegro is a greast place for photography before noon..After noon all of the tour buses arrive. Get up early in small ports before the tourists get up. I saw a great documentary on Venice recently and marveled at St Mark's square with no tourists..Other sites with little or no pedestrian traffic..Then I noticed a little snow in the shady places and realized that the film was shot in the dead of winter!! The best light "Jesus light" is 1/2 to 1 hour after sunrise 1/2 to 1 hour before sunset.. The sunrise pix will have just the early morning workers and very few tourists. The other pain is wires and polls.TV etc. Fortunatley you can photoshop most of those out these days. In the old days we used to joke about carrying a chain saw!! Jim

Norm, I don't know you but feel I do from all your postings (I am checking this board constantly! and of course your Spirit Pirates pictures). Congratulations on your engagement! How wonderful! I'm sure your delayed honeymoon will be fabulous on Seabourn.

And how do I see GrannyLorr's Oz pictures?

(I have to say I love her Avator so much I went to that exact spot and took the same shot!)

We'll be doing our second Seabourn cruise on the Pride (first was Spirit) on November 24th. We couldn't do the whole 2 weeks and miss Thanksgiving with the family, but we will be celebrating my husband Tony's birthday on board. We can't wait.

We are bringing good friends who have never sailed Seabourn yet but we know they will fall in love as we did with the line.

Besides we had to get priority for booking the New Build in 2009.

Sorry not to have answered you about the Oz pics Cruisewoman....but I think they have come to an end for a little while.......I decided to ruin our trip and am now in hospital....however the pages I have already done can be found at the following link!

http://lorraineb.bravehost.com/index.html

Hopefully it was something as simple as eating your own cooking :D:D Hope all good well for you. :)

Sorry not to have answered you about the Oz pics Cruisewoman....but I think they have come to an end for a little while.......I decided to ruin our trip and am now in hospital....however the pages I have already done can be found at the following link!

http://lorraineb.bravehost.com/index.html

Gosh, I hope it is something very simple. Get out soon. You are one talented woman! All my best, Kate

Archived