Big Cheer to those not in Verandah, Balcony, Suite Cabins!

FreesiaE

I hate to be a killjoy, but there is only one advantage to an inside cabin, and that is that it is less expensive. You can argue all over the place that it's nice to take naps in a darkened cabin (all cabins can be darkened) but in the end it's the money, honey.

For people on a tight budget, it make sense. For people who can spend a little more, an outside window is nice. Once you've had a balcony, there is no turning back. We have yet to do a suite, probably never will because it's something we can't afford, but if we could, we would get one in a heartbeat.

All the new ships have a preponderance of balcony cabins because that's what people want. They are the first to get sold.

People who can afford to own a Mercedes or a Lexus would never again own a lesser car unless their business tanks. However, arguments that a Corolla will get you there just as well is nothing more than whistling in the dark, IMHO.

-----------------------

Platinum for Princess, for Royal Caribbean and for Celebrity.

I drive a Lexus and I have been on 15 cruises! Not a one of those has been in a suite or a verandah cabin!!

I spend VERY little time in my cabin and I have no desire for one. I have cruised many times in an inside cabin and now I usually take one of the least expensive outside cabins!

How do you think I can afford to drive a Lexus? icon_smile.gif

It's an aphorism, nothing more. Be happy with your Lexus.

You are very fortunate to have resisted the appeal of a balcony. Because once you succumb, you'll never go back.

Re not really spending time in the cabin, that's nonsense if you don't mind me saying. If we had an inside cabin, we wouldn't spend any time there either!

There is something to be said for having a room service breakfast in your robe out on the balcony when anchored off the coast of Monaco. There is something to be said for wearing only a robe while watching them pull up the anchor off the coast of Lahaina at sunset. There is something to be said for sitting out on the balcony near midnight while docked in St. Petersburg, enjoying the quiet and serenity of the White Nights with no one else around. There is something to be said to watch the passage of the Panama Canal from a balcony rather than slugging it out with all those up above standing four deep at the railing, with everyone "saving" lounge chairs.

It adds a whole new dimension to the pleasure of cruising.

Be happy. Just remember, you can never go back once you try it. Nobody can.

-----------------------

Platinum for Princess, for Royal Caribbean and for Celebrity.

[This message was edited by Paulmj on 04-27-04 at 10:12 PM.]

Originally posted by Paulmj:

It's an aphorism, nothing more. Be happy with your Lexus. You are very fortunate to have resisted the appeal of a balcony. Because once you succumb, you'll never go back.

Be happy. Just remember, you can never go back once you try it. Nobody can.

Well I'm "nobody" icon_wink.gif Have been on over 35 cruises, about 10 with a balcony over 9-10 years. Had a balcony two cruises ago, inside next, inside next, balcony 'cause it's cheap in Sept and another inside in February. Yes, a balcony is great for all the reasons you stated but I'd rather cruise 2-3 times a year and can't do it always in a balcony on my budget. And I do use my cabin just to sleep, change clothes etc. Really, I have witnessesicon_smile.gif I was also a TA for a good while and had lots of clients who only booked balconies when they could get a really good deal and others who would only cruise once a year because they had to have a balcony. Yes, there are those who "always" cruise in a balcony and on vacation, you should do what's affordable, right for you and will make it enjoyable!

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font> icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

Well...I've cruised in inside cabins, window cabins and balcony cabins...

I'm going to Alaska this July in a couple of Sky Suites (one for us, one for the kids)...

But, seriously, I would have been just as happy with an "inside"...My brother, as a present to me, "upgraded" our previously booked Cat 4 for us and inside for the girls...

The "upgrade" cost my brother about $6,000+...

I would rather have had him use the six grand to just buy us another cruise for next summer!!!

But, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth...

But when it comes down to it...for the extra six grand, we get to eat in the same Dining Room, see the same shows, drink in the same lounges, go to the same ports...the only differences are:

1) We have a butler...Hey, we're not really that big on butlers...I've always found the Cabin Steward and rest of the crew enough service for our needs...we don't eat dinner in our room--we like the company of other people...we aren't throwing parties in our room...

2) We have a balcony...So, now, we won't have to make that long trek to the elevator to go up to the top deck to see whatever glaciers might be on our side of the ship...

3) Our kids will have a window...So that when we're in Alaska and it's light outside for 24 hours a day they can complain about being unable to sleep...

Both types of cabins have beds, a toilet, a sink and a shower...neither are the size of our kids' rooms at home...

Now, I am sure there are other great attributes to the suites BUT...

I would have really enjoyed the cruise anyway...and what would the $6,000 have bought? Well...last year, we did a 13-nighter in the Mediterranean on the Millennium...with air from LA, added on two nights in Venice and two nights in Barcelona with transfers...and the entire bill for that cost us $5700 (for two)!!! Of course we did it with an "inside guarantee" and ended up with an inside cabin...but it was a great inside cabin--#8123--Midship on Deck 8...and we had the best cruise we ever had...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

• 3 weeks later...

We are cruising on the Disney Wonder in December and we have the Cat. 7 Navigator's Verandah. I live in the Seattle area and it's so dark and dank that time of year that I need all the light I can get and do expect to spend much time outdoors. So, I went with the cheapest balcony I could find.

For our Jun 05 RCCL cruise to Alaska, I went with the cheapest Oceanview I could get - it's in the middle of deck 2 and wasn't much more cost-wise than an inside cabin. I do get slightly claustrophobic so do want light but I don't need a balcony - I suspect it will be chilly sailing anyway.

PS - I drive a Lexus icon_cool.gif

This will be my 5th cruise, and my 5th time booking an inside cabin. For the price we paid for booking last week, I figured we'd better save some $$$ for the excursions. However, since it is our 10th anniversary, maybe the upgrade fairy will grace us with her presence (or in this case, presents!) icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

***Nancy***

Song of Norway 12/79

Tropicale 12/84

Explorer of the Seas 8/3/02

Mariner of the Seas 1/4/04

Serenading to Alaska for our 10th anniversary!

Roll call for Serenade 8/1/04 click here

Time until our next cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Archived