Taking coolers on board

boogsmom

On Legend last week I took the folding 'bag' cooler they sell at SAMS to put groceries in. Grey/black w/ silver inside. Steward filled it w/ ice 3x in 7 days & it stayed VERY cold & didn't leak!! I think it was $9.99. At any given time we had about 6 waters & 4 - 6 24 oz mt dew in it. with plenty of room.

we also have one of those insulated bags we got from BJs holds a lot and not as tackey looking as a regular cooler.

The cooler idea was actually one of the absolute best suggestions I received from this board prior to our first cruise. It was very nice to have cold drinks availabe in the room while sitting on the balcony or a cold coke while enjoying room service. I also don't sleep real well and when I wake up in the middle of the night I love a ice cold water!

Plus it kept my 3 cases of water, 7 bottles of wine, 6 cases of beer, and fifth's of yeager-meister and vodka chilled. Wait, nevermind I really don't remember if the cooler was helpful or not, I must have been too drunk, did I even go on a cruise?

You know, when Carnival changed the guidelines not too long ago and said "no soda, no water, nothing to be brought on" people raised hell and blamed it on the "cooler toting" gang... they changed it back, I would imagine hoping that people would be more "reasonable" in what they brought... glad to see things have gotten back to normal. I just hope nobody whines and moans when Carnival finally DOES resort to saying "no beverages can be brought on"... because they will when more and more people come rolling up coolers... I truly think Carnival needs to specify exactly what IS a reasonable amount... otherwise, the problem will go right back to what it was before.

Not trying to ruffle feathers here but if you are going on a cruise, on a huge ship supplied with water (which there is NOTHING wrong with), soda (ok, maybe not your favorite but can't you make do?), juices, tea, alcohol, all kinds of food and drink- why do you feel it is necessary to roll on a cooler like you are going to an RV park? I just don't get it. And as the above poster stated, Carnival has set their rules and asked that you follow them. Then there are all these new threads about what is allowed and complaining about how they have to have their certain amount of coke or whatever so then Carnival cracks sets their rules straight again and its back to "We are taking a roll on cooler filled with soda and water." And then expect the cabin steward to keep it filled :confused:

You are already spending $$$ for the cruise, what is another $100 or so for water/soda?

I know Carnival is not a luxury cruise line, and I will not let all of those who do roll on board with their Mountain Dew to ruin my vacation but I will stand their in line while boarding and when I see them I will be thinking "how tacky." And back to the rules- do the rules say "A roll on cooler full of drinks will be fine and your cabin steward can keep it filled with ice for you?"

sorry. :)

Not trying to ruffle feathers here but if you are going on a cruise, on a huge ship supplied with water (which there is NOTHING wrong with), soda (ok, maybe not your favorite but can't you make do?), juices, tea, alcohol, all kinds of food and drink- why do you feel it is necessary to roll on a cooler like you are going to an RV park? I just don't get it. And as the above poster stated, Carnival has set their rules and asked that you follow them. Then there are all these new threads about what is allowed and complaining about how they have to have their certain amount of coke or whatever so then Carnival cracks sets their rules straight again and its back to "We are taking a roll on cooler filled with soda and water." And then expect the cabin steward to keep it filled :confused:

You are already spending $$$ for the cruise, what is another $100 or so for water/soda?

I know Carnival is not a luxury cruise line, and I will not let all of those who do roll on board with their Mountain Dew to ruin my vacation but I will stand their in line while boarding and when I see them I will be thinking "how tacky." And back to the rules- do the rules say "A roll on cooler full of drinks will be fine and your cabin steward can keep it filled with ice for you?"

sorry. :)

I don't worry about what other people think. When other people start paying for my vacation then they can tell me what to bring and what not to bring. Otherwise, as long as Carnival allows it, I will bring what I want to bring!

I don't worry about what other people think. When other people start paying for my vacation then they can tell me what to bring and what not to bring. Otherwise, as long as Carnival allows it, I will bring what I want to bring!

And there is my point.......:rolleyes:

That is my theory also...why can't everyone just get along w/out the snarly remarks... gosh!!!

Matter of fact I am buying 2 drink cards also I bring bottled water because I don't want to pay $3 a bottle for as much water as I drink and dr pepper for 1st thing in the morning or while I sit on my balcony.

So the bottom line is .....

I'm STILL supporting Carnival - I'm bringing my rolling collapsable cooler... and I guess whomever thinks it tacky.... so be it.

Whether the cabin steward is continuously filling the ice bucket in the room or a cooler once a day - does it really matter?? Isn't that part of his job and what we are paying him to do??? I guess I'm confused.

I just want to say that I will be more careful as a new person on this board what to ask.....

Not trying to ruffle feathers here but if you are going on a cruise, on a huge ship supplied with water (which there is NOTHING wrong with), soda (ok, maybe not your favorite but can't you make do?), juices, tea, alcohol, all kinds of food and drink- why do you feel it is necessary to roll on a cooler like you are going to an RV park?

Yeah, I have to agree. Personally, I will never bring a cooler on board a ship. I don't want the hassle, and I certainly don't want to be toting around cases of soda and/or water. And frankly, I use that as an excuse to not drink soda for a week - which is healthier anyway. I might bring 2-4 bottles of water on board, simply for the sake of having a bottle of water to take ashore. But you could probably buy one onshore too, depending on where you're going.

But hey, to each his own.

We are leaving on the Conquest this coming Sunday. I have read in prior posts that people have taken coolers on board.......

So with that said.... what size are these coolers? Are they a igloo playmate size or actual rolling coolers.

Any help or advice that you can give is appreciated:D

Thanks in advance

boogsmom

Medium size cooler on wheels. Helpful hint, no ice! They search the cooler only because it was filled with ice. Was trying to keep the soda/h2o and white wine cold ... no ice next time!

That is my theory also...why can't everyone just get along w/out the snarly remarks... gosh!!!

Matter of fact I am buying 2 drink cards also I bring bottled water because I don't want to pay $3 a bottle for as much water as I drink and dr pepper for 1st thing in the morning or while I sit on my balcony.

So the bottom line is .....

I'm STILL supporting Carnival - I'm bringing my rolling collapsable cooler... and I guess whomever thinks it tacky.... so be it.

Whether the cabin steward is continuously filling the ice bucket in the room or a cooler once a day - does it really matter?? Isn't that part of his job and what we are paying him to do??? I guess I'm confused.

I just want to say that I will be more careful as a new person on this board what to ask.....

Well golly gee beav :D

The water on the ship is WONDERFUL and safer than most bottled waters, and is FREE!!! And the $3.50 water on the ship is a HUGE bottle. I drink a lot of water as well, and I would never be able to carry on the amount I drink... I just drink the free stuff :)

Ask whatever you want, but don't expect that everyone on this board is going to agree with you. If you got upset over this thread, you may want to take a look around... there was no slamming involved. Some people think it is tacky... Carnival recently revised the rules because people were abusing their policy... you have stated that you are not one to do that, so don't worry... but if you can imagine 3000 people rolling coolers up to the ship, that is what they are surely trying to avoid. Then there are those of us that are tired of the rep Carnival has, and sees these threads that just adds to it.. Doesn't matter to me, because when Carnival goes back to not allowing anything to be brought on thanks to the abuse, it won't bother me a bit... I'll just sit back with my free water and watch the show :D

Who said it was "tacky" to bring your own cooler, LMAO

Now that is funny. It's not like someone will scold you from Carnival about offending them.

If their that offended then they need to get bigger ice buckets in the cabins and harder ice. The ice is like cheap bad ice that melts within a few minutes.

I took one of the small collapsable coolers and it started condensing on the spot where it was so I put it in the bathroom on a towel on the counter so the carpet wouldn't get wet.

What is up with those refrigerators that don't get cold? They really need to super-size the ice "mugs".

I took one of the small collapsable coolers and it started condensing on the spot where it was so I put it in the bathroom on a towel on the counter so the carpet wouldn't get wet.

That's when you need a balcony. We just stick ours out there no worry:)

OMG I had to take a double look.........I must say quite the

resemblance:p :D :eek:

I figured I'd flip you the bird and see you jump. :D

I like keeping a bottle of wine in the room on ice. The steward brings an ice bucket, which is great. I wish they had something bigger. As far as beer goes, too tough for me. I don't want to drag it through airports and we take a cab from the airport to Fort Lauderdale terminal. Is there a place to purchase beer near that terminal? Wouldn't mind throwing some Sam Adams Lights in the fridge. :cool:

I figured I'd flip you the bird and see you jump. :D

I like keeping a bottle of wine in the room on ice. The steward brings an ice bucket, which is great. I wish they had something bigger. As far as beer goes, too tough for me. I don't want to drag it through airports and we take a cab from the airport to Fort Lauderdale terminal. Is there a place to purchase beer near that terminal? Wouldn't mind throwing some Sam Adams Lights in the fridge. :cool:

I was just getting ready to load my pellet gun:p

I'm sure there is a place to stop. Just ask the cabbie they will stop for you. We had our shuttle driver stop for us on the way to Miami from Fort Lauderdale........

Ok, tell you what. You bring your rolling cooler with your soda (just a few) and your water (just 1 case) - and I will bring my portable gas grill. That way you can have your beverage on the balcony and I can grill my steak so I can enjoy that on the balcony.

What a deal!

I won't look tacky, like a rolling cooler does, because I can pack my grill and not look like the Clampettes.

Ok, tell you what. You bring your rolling cooler with your soda (just a few) and your water (just 1 case) - and I will bring my portable gas grill. That way you can have your beverage on the balcony and I can grill my steak so I can enjoy that on the balcony.

What a deal!

I won't look tacky, like a rolling cooler does, because I can pack my grill and not look like the Clampettes.

Haha!!! LMAO :D Well said.

Archived