To all the fat girls....

dreamer2

Ok girls, I need some advice on how to get some great family shots. I am bad about not getting in any of the shots because of being overweight. Enough is enough, I'm going to be in some pictures during MY cruise so I need some help. Give me some tips on hiding the fat. The top is the worst problem...big boobs which make you look even heavier than you actually are. Help please!

Put someone in front of you. Make sure the girls are mostly behind them. If you are alone in the shot, do a side view but not all the way sideways. If you go totally sideways, you girls really stick out. I am sure someone else knows more. Maybe a photographer on here. Good luck.

Linda

Hi Dreamer2,

From what I have learned on the fashion shows it is important to be fitted for a bra for adequate support and proper fit. Secondly, make sure that your clothing fits you properly, finally have good posture and... smile!

Also, you might want to post this in the fashion forum, you'll get a lot more advice there.:)

Black, Black, Black.

You can never go wrong wearing this color when you are heavy set.

It usually works for me.

I'm not big on full body shots myself, so I usually say waist up, or head shots.

Here are some of the pictures from our cruise, they are the only ones I have on my computer at work.

Good luck!

scan0001.jpg.ab16c77931077cde879ad88bf62cb64e.jpg

scan0002.jpg.7582ce921d8386511814ffe83dc05d14.jpg

scan2.jpg.f92f693b7cdb7f2a423cede2bc6a685c.jpg

Usually put some one in front of you. If you're taking a picture with 1 other person, go behind them, have them sit down, and lean over them with your arms around their neck (kinda hard to explain), but it comes out really good.

Use a digital camera so you can erase pics you don't like and redo them (I drove my fiance crazy with this), and take lots of pics with the photographer. You're bound to like 1 of them!

Let's see if I can explain this.....saw it on TV once, recommended by a model, and it works!

Pull your elbows back slightly when posing. It makes your upper arms look smaller (Which is a particular problem area for me!). I've tried this and can really tell a difference!

Now, when I celebs posing, I notice they do this, too! Pay attention next time you see someone posing, you'll see what I mean!

Good luck and Enjoy the Heck out of your Cruise!

shots where the camera is up higher and angled downwards subtley usually look good. be sure youre in a spot with decent lighting. accessories like hats, lacey shawls, funky earrings help draw attention to areas you want noticed. if your hair looks awesome then people will definately be looking at that- make sure its under a light.

When we travel with our friends we have an agreement that only head shots are allowed! We are all 50 something and have the same issues up top. So far it has work well; and then there is always the DELETE button on digital cameras :)

Wear tops with full shoulder sleeves and not the skinnier ones with straps (they tend to draw attention down towards your body instead of your face). If you choose a dark background for your pictures, wear dark clothing (the opposite for light backgrounds and outdoor shots.. go lighter). Also, get all the people who will be in the photograph to wear the same color and tone clothing (preferably dark) to give your picture that extra touch. HTH

• 4 weeks later...

Take notice to what other people your size wear...you will notice, as i do, heavier gals, that wear skimpy tops, such as spaghetti straps, that have the heavier upper body, do not look good!!! and the gals that wear tighter clothing that show our "rolls" dont look good...i have learned by what others wear, what NOT to wear... Im like you, i dont like the lower shots! head only for me too... but when on a cruise, its a special time for us. so my advice, learn from what others wear, and dont repeat that "not so attractive" look. Showing skin isnt the way to go for all of us bigger girls. Black is perfect like the other posts have said. Just have a good time what ever you do... ENJOY! :)

• 4 weeks later...

One thing you might try is angle yourself a little to the camera. Not too much, or it defeats the purpose, but a little helps. Also, stand with your feet in first position, with the heel of your left right foot set into the arch or middle of your left foot. Makes your legs look thinner. Mostly, just be happy with who you are. Accept it and be joyful. Enjoy your cruise!!

• 2 weeks later...
One thing you might try is angle yourself a little to the camera. Not too much, or it defeats the purpose, but a little helps. Also, stand with your feet in first position, with the heel of your left right foot set into the arch or middle of your left foot. Makes your legs look thinner. Mostly, just be happy with who you are. Accept it and be joyful. Enjoy your cruise!!

Good idea, but it's the ballet third position. Also, I like to hide behind a bush, table, other props or furniture. Probably doesn't really help, but I do feel better.

Actually, one of the pictures I took on last year's cruise was my inspiration for deciding that I must do something about my weight. It's on my fridge door, along with some old "skinny" pictures, to serve as my inspiration.

Oh, another advantage of digital photography - take some shots, check them out, and if you're not happpy wiht them, retake them with a new position, props etc. You have the chance to preview and change the pose right on the spot.

And - SMILE.:D

Carole

Good bra, perhaps a "minimizer bra", clothing that barely skims your body and doesn't cling. Black isn't slimming if the fit is unflattering! You can do patterns and colors if it FITS correctly! Try and balance your heavy top by wearing a skirt or slacks that don't make your bottom half look too small!

And whatever you do, don't worry too much! The good time you'll be having should show in your face! That's what's important!

My body isn't the problem, but my face is! My entire family is blessed with double and triple chins! So I never want to appear in any photographs and can't hide behind anyone, either. It doesn't matter how much I weigh, the double chin remains. I've even thought of going for plastic surgery, which my sister actually did, but she said the effect only lasts a few years and then has to be redone due to loosening skin. Maybe it would still be worth the high price and the pain. I've tried smiling, not smiling, grimacing, laughing, tucking my tongue to the roof of my mouth -- nothing helps the chin situation. To say I'm self-conscious about it is an understatement since I think about it every day to the point of being paranoid that people are always staring at it and judging me by it.

The last open prejudice in America is against fat people. I've been fat and I've been thin. It's amazing how much NICER people are to thin people.:mad:

Never sit down for a picture. When I have to be shorter to fit in a picture I kneel.

There is excellent advice on this thread. I have tried them all and they work. I am 80 pounds heavier than my sister, but she says when I pose we look about the same size. In candid pictures the weight difference is definitely noticeable.

Get your self a "Miracle Suit" They really do take the pounds off. There are many, many different styles, so take your time trying all styles on. When you find a "style" that suits your body, then you can narrow your choices. I am big on top and have a baby pouch. (He's 13 now).:D I find the wrap styles with cleavage look best on me. Play up your best feature even if your girls are large. Most women pay for bigger girls. Get a black sheer cover up. It covers, but the see-through is sexy. Better than a mumu. That aside, your on vacation, you'll never see these people again. Enjoy yourself and stop worrying about the pictures. There's always photo shop if you can't stand them. Have fun and relax. ;) ;) ;)

• 3 months later...

nice comment! We should all enjoy who we are and what we are doing at the moment!

• 1 month later...

v neck shirts help elongate the neck making it look taller/slimmer. 3/4 sleeve shirts are a busty woman's best friend, because the short sleeves draws a visual line right at the girls! Black is a harsh color for photos, very easy to be washed out. Get the great bra as mentioned before, buy clothes that fit even if you go up a size. Women's sizes are in a 3 size range. Some run small, some run big. Wear colors that look great on you. Wear make-up......just so y'all know i hate wearing make up, but if a camera is on me, than make up is on my face. I always look much better in a pic with the horrid stuff on. Last but not least....ENJOY your vacation. You have worked hard for it, planning it, enjoy it :)

Dreamer I identify with you! I am so paranoid usually about pictures that I am worried my family will never remember what I looked like!(hmm maybe GOOD thing) I am better on vacation though because I do feel better knowing none of these people will be seeing me again but then it comes to seeing the pictures we took LOTS of deleting goes on! I am always surprised to see that short fat redhead standing there. Who is she? I always FEEL prettier and skinner than those pictures show. That being sadi I can't say I ever let it ruin any vacation for me after all there IS a delete button.

• 2 weeks later...
Black, Black, Black.

quote]

Wrong, wrong ,wrong! Why should us big girls not show ourselves to be bright vivacius people that we are.

Lets turn peoples idea of size around. Yes, it would be nice to be more shapely but while black has its place go for it and have a little fun with your clothes.

I was thrilled to bits when on QE2 it was the red, white & blue night to find in the extra large section of TKMax a fab long, low cut with a touch of diamante evening dress.

In the lift going for dinner a fellow traveller said I love your dress. I wouldn't have even been noticed in something dull and boring.

Go for it girls and steel the show.

Margaret

Just stand up tall and straight,wear whatever you love,look into the camera and smile. You are smart and beautiful,you never ever have to be what someone else's idea of beauty is because you are lovely in your own right. OWN who you are,if more of us did this we would ALL be better off. Size 2 or 22...own it!

Just stand up tall and straight,wear whatever you love,look into the camera and smile. You are smart and beautiful,you never ever have to be what someone else's idea of beauty is because you are lovely in your own right. OWN who you are,if more of us did this we would ALL be better off. Size 2 or 22...own it!

Well said, you can spend half the tme worrying about what other people think only to realise they haven't even noticed you.

Enjoy yourself, this isn't a practice.

Margaret

My body isn't the problem, but my face is! My entire family is blessed with double and triple chins! So I never want to appear in any photographs and can't hide behind anyone, either. It doesn't matter how much I weigh, the double chin remains. I've even thought of going for plastic surgery, which my sister actually did, but she said the effect only lasts a few years and then has to be redone due to loosening skin. Maybe it would still be worth the high price and the pain. I've tried smiling, not smiling, grimacing, laughing, tucking my tongue to the roof of my mouth -- nothing helps the chin situation. To say I'm self-conscious about it is an understatement since I think about it every day to the point of being paranoid that people are always staring at it and judging me by it.

The last open prejudice in America is against fat people. I've been fat and I've been thin. It's amazing how much NICER people are to thin people.:mad:

i am not thin nor fat i concider myself to be pretty average...but i have the same extra chin effect. what really works for me is if you (this is hard to explain so it might get wordy just try to bear with me...) try to elongate your neck by making it as tall as you can, and then projecting it out in front of you a bit... an up and out type motion. try doing it in the mirror a few times and you will see what i mean it makes a work of difference!

also... im graduating this may for Physical Therapy and i just wanted to add not to do this on a regular everyday basis or eventually you may start to have posture problems called forward head posture. i actually DO have that and its hard to correct. if you do try this durring pictures make sure you brink your head back to neutral before continuing on with your day...do the opposite motion by tucking your chin down and back and MAKE the double chin... i hope you find this helpfull without being preachy!

Archived