QE2 Embarkation in New York, Brooklyn

rjms74

Hi,

For anyone that has experienced the new Brooklyn Terminal, what are the facilities like here & does anyone have experience of boarding QE2?

I have only previously used the old NYC terminal when arriving or leaving NYC & also wondered if they have a separate Grill check in and at what sort of time you can expect to board for an Eastbound crossing mine is in April2008.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Hi,

For anyone that has experienced the new Brooklyn Terminal, what are the facilities like here & does anyone have experience of boarding QE2?

I have only previously used the old NYC terminal when arriving or leaving NYC & also wondered if they have a separate Grill check in and at what sort of time you can expect to board for an Eastbound crossing mine is in April2008.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Hopefully since the QE2 will be leaving from the Hudson River pier in Manhattan for her world cruise, she will return to the asme pier ratherthan over to Brooklyn. That would mess with a lot of world cruisers plans.

RJMS, Do a search on these boards for Brooklyn. there are several good threads with great information. Don't listen to songanddance. He's just giving you a lot of songanddance!

The new Brooklyn terminal is beautiful. clean, the people are smiling, no matter the weather. It is much more organized, well lit, not at all dingy and drab and dirty like Manhattan. Parking is ample and clean, There is a separate queue (if you have to queue at all) for grills. While steerage had a long queue when I embarked in Sept (I was running late, and it was a miserable rainy day- still everyone was friendly and smiling) there was none at all for grills. they were shepherded over to the far left and processed right through!

Have a wonderful time!

Whenever and wherever you go!

Karie

I experienced the Brooklyn terminal for the first time en route from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale on QE2 in April. I agree completely with travel-to-go regarding the attractiveness of this facility. In addition, it should be much easier to get to and from the NY airports because it avoids Manhattan and the Hudson and East River tunnels or bridges. On the other hand, it is more difficult and an expensive taxi ride to reach from Penn Station and the Port Authority Bus Terminal in mid-town Manhattan.

Its main drawback is that is very difficult to get into mid town for the day by public transportation (fairly long walk, bus and subway) even for a former New Yorker like me. There is a water taxi from Red Hook, but it doesn't operate in the winter. Obviously this doesn't affect embarking and disembarking passengers who fly into NY or drive to the port. For our one-day call in NY Cunard solved the problem for transit passengers by operating an inexpensive ($15) shuttle into mid town.

By the way, according to Cunard, when all three Queens are in NY at year end QE2 and Victoria will dock at the Hudson River terminal in Manhattan and QM2 in Brooklyn.

Archived