Walking stick advice

Tennessee Traveler

Need advice on finding a walking stick that also serves as a unipod for a digital camera. Any advice much appreciated. I know it must exist but don't know where to look. Tennessee Traveler

Both Komperdel and Leki have poles with camera mounts. Here is a link:

http://shopping.msn.com/results/shp/?ptnrid=175,ptnrdata=201759,bCatId=5688

I bought a Leki, but at max extension it is not 5' so one must crouch or set the foot of the pole on something other than the ground to steady the camera which limits its utility as a unipod.

If you plan to pack the pole in your suitcase then look for a 4 section collapsible pole - these reduce to 20.5".

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

You can check out http://www.manfrotto.com and search out monopods. Or you might be able to go directly there by going here:

www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/1799?categoryKey=BRAND:MN:MAIN:AC:SUB1:AK:SUB2:AX&idx=119&livid=107|117

I know it's a long address, but I'm sure you'd like the products. I have one of their tripods and am simply amazed by it.

Good luck.

Thanks WIT! I found a Leki pole in a local sports outfitter. Just what I was looking for! Tennessee Traveler

Glad you found the pole. Let us know how it worked for you on the trip.

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's advice on the walking stick. It came in the mail yesterday and looks perfect for my needs. We'll be taking it on our trip to Macchu Pichu & The Galapagos in the fall. PLus, good news - my wife found the same stick on e bay, brand new, for much less than the store. What a deal! Tennessee Traveler (with a monopd walking stick):)

• 1 month later...

Hi PennyAgain,

Glad to hear from so many knowledgeable people. That's what makes CC so helpful. I will be using my Leki pole for the first time in Macchu Pichu & the Galapagos in Oct/Nov. Has it been really handy for you to use both walking as well as for taking pictures? Also, have you had any problems with the pole either checking luggage or as a carry-on? Thanks, TT:)

Trekking poles are not allowed as carry ons due to the sharp tips. OK for checked luggage. They are considered the same as ski poles.

This is why you need the 20.5", 4 section poles which will fit inside your luggage, even if the sharp tips are covered by rubber tips.

WIT

Archived