Grand Circle ups 2008 prices a whopping 15%

jowahe

Grand Circle river cruises for 2008 have increased prices for single travelers by 15%!! Why?? Do we now eat 15% more food? Is an air ticket for single people now 15% more per person than for couples? Of course not. Looks like greed to me.

As an Inner Circle member with several previous European river cruises to my credit, I refuse to be gouged and will not travel again with Grand Circle. Maybe if enough singles do likewise, GCT will lose enough customers and lower the single supplement back to the reasonable amount they've used in past years.

Grand Circle river cruises for 2008 have increased prices for single travelers by 15%!! Why?? Do we now eat 15% more food? Is an air ticket for single people now 15% more per person than for couples? Of course not. Looks like greed to me.

As an Inner Circle member with several previous European river cruises to my credit, I refuse to be gouged and will not travel again with Grand Circle. Maybe if enough singles do likewise, GCT will lose enough customers and lower the single supplement back to the reasonable amount they've used in past years.

Believe me, I am not a cheerleader for GCT having taken only one of their cruises, and it certainly seems that they may be trying to discourage Single travelers based on your comments, BUT in fairness - not all of their trips are up 15% in 2008.

I happen to have their Catalogues for 2006, 2007 & 2008 ( they could cut our costs by sending out fewer ! ) for a River Cruise we have been interested in for a couple of years. The specific cruise we had in mind is Holland & Belgium in Bloom / Springtime. The lowest starting advertised " teaser rate " was $ 1895 p/p dbl occupancy in 2006. It DROPPED to $ 1845 in 2007. In 2008 this rate was $ 1995 - an increase of 8.1% over 2007 and 5.3% over 2006.

Yesterday we received a wonderful EMail surprise announcement from GCT that our rate for the 2008 cruise we booked had fallen $ 100 per person. They are automatically refunding or crediting everyone who has already booked which I appreciate. So if the new $ 1895 is compared to 2006, there is NO increase and a 2.7% increase over 2007.

Now you may be right that GCT is finding resistance to 2008 price increases and is effectively rescinding some - at least on the one particular cruise about which I am talking.

Have you compared GCT's increases with any of their competitors ? Have you considered that fuel prices for ships and planes have increased dramatically ? Have you considered that the Euro and other foreign currency units that they must pay costs with have risen dramatically vs. the US Dollar ? All in all, I am surprised that prices have not risen more !

You are correct about the pricing for "double occupancy" and that underscores my complaint exactly. Why are singles being asked to pay an increase of 15% while couples have moderate or no increase? I can only assume Grand Circle wants to discourage single travelers. Well, it's certainly working in my case as I refuse to accept this discriminary price increase and will not travel with Grand Circle again.

It does seem that Single Supplementers are being discouraged from booking. From a business standpoint, with a limited number of cabins on GCT's smaller ships, they would probably rather book all based on Double Occupancy which generates more revenue.

I am curious - as an Inner Circle Member - do you have access to any special forums or people in authority that will pay attention to your observations other than the normal Customer Relations approach ? What are the advantages of Inner Circle other than some reduced fares, some potential upgrades, some gifts, or some shopping on board discounts ?

Perhaps you could recommend that after a certain number of Single Supplement cruises booked that Inner Circle Members be given a lower rate in order to retain loyal customers.

I am also a GCT Inner Circle member and will be taking my 6th river cruise with them as a single next month. Their current 25% supplement is 1/2 of most other river cruise lines. All others except of Vantage charge 50%. I have heard that Vantage will be raising their supplement to 40% also. While this increase will not stop me from uisng GCT again the future, it will force me to look for their last minute bargains.

Archived