Maui, Oahu or Big Island

Jewelfine

Ok I can't take it anymore! I am trying to figure out what DH and I should do. We are on the POH on July 30 and are arriving in Oahu July 27th and staying on until August 11th. Our choices are:

For first 3 nights

Stay on Oahu for the first 3 nights

Go to Maui for the first 3 nights

For last 5 nights

Go to Maui or Kona

We have never been in hawaii and aren't worried about going to Maui or Kona on the cruise - we will just stay on the ship thoses days.

We also aren't worried about not seeing Oahu as I think it will be like Miami or something like that.

Any advice?

What would you do?

Thanx

For my interests, I wanted to do many more things on Oahu than the other islands. I found Waikiki area fun, even though I'm not big on crowds. It wasn't too bad except in the International Market place one night. There's so much to do and see there. To satisfy everyone in our group, we didn't get out too much to explore all that I wanted. Had to balance beach time with site seeing. Never been to Miami, so can't compare. Only went to beaches in Maui and did Captain Zodiac in Kona, then looked around town. It's a cute town with lots of shops. I'd venture off the ship to look around. If nothing more than to get a shave ice at Scandinavian Shave Ice and get a great picture of the ship from the park. Personally, pre-cruise, I'd stay on Oahu since the ship leaves from there. Then you won't have to worry about getting back there in time, or waste time traveling back and forth. Kona or Maui would be personal preference. I'd do Maui, my son would do Kona. Ultimately you'll have to decide what you'd like best.

• Administrators
Ok I can't take it anymore! I am trying to figure out what DH and I should do. We are on the POH on July 30 and are arriving in Oahu July 27th and staying on until August 11th. Our choices are:

For first 3 nights

Stay on Oahu for the first 3 nights

Go to Maui for the first 3 nights

For last 5 nights

Go to Maui or Kona

We have never been in hawaii and aren't worried about going to Maui or Kona on the cruise - we will just stay on the ship thoses days.

We also aren't worried about not seeing Oahu as I think it will be like Miami or something like that.

Any advice?

What would you do?

Thanx

Of the options you present, as a fellow first time Hawaii visitor, if my schedule permitted I would do three days on Oahu pre-cruise, and five on Maui post-cruise. Based on my research in planning our cruise, in our two days pre-cruise on Oahu I was able to fit only about one-third of the things we'd love to do into the schedule. If Oahu is like Miami I am going to be sorely disappointed, and frankly astonished! Things I couldn't fit in (THIS trip) but would love to do include the Polynesian Cultural Center, snorkeling at Hanauma and possibly the North Shore, climbing Diamond Head, beach time on Waikiki, touring Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum, visiting Doris Dukes' Shangri-la... sheesh I could go on, but that's about five days right there! Another reason to stay on Oahu pre-cruise is the jet-lag factor, plus having to cut short the last day on another island in order to get back to Oahu to board the ship.

As for Maui, I could easily fill five days -- I could spend a whole day just bumming around Lahaina, attending a luau there, and then there's hanging on Kaanapali beach, Haleakala, the Road to Hana, a snorkel trip to Molokini, visiting Iao Valley, etc.

Even at that, leaving out the Big Island is also a tough call -- there are a lot of things we'd love to do centered in both Kona and Hilo.

I think in your place I'd decide what type of activities you really want to do -- adventure things, beach/water things, sightseeing -- then look at all three islands (the Revealed books are helpful here) to see which have the greatest concentration of things you'd like to do. Good luck making a tough decision!

Waikiki is Miami south. It'll be hot! I make a point of avoiding Honolulu flying in, but I'm not into sightseeing or crowds. If you are, then you'll be happy there I'm sure. Kona in July will be very hot and dry. Hilo side will be comfortable, but it's too laid back for many people. There isn't much to do in Hilo.

Summer is my favorite time of the year in Hawaii. All the flowers are in bloom, water like bathtub, mangoes, pineapples and litches are in season. It's hot but the tradewind keeps it comfortable and it's not humid like in Caribbean.

• Administrators
Waikiki is Miami south. It'll be hot! I make a point of avoiding Honolulu flying in, but I'm not into sightseeing or crowds. If you are, then you'll be happy there I'm sure. ...

Oh, yes it makes sense that the Waikiki area would be similar to Miami -- cityscape, large hotels, on a beach. When I think of Oahu I actually don't think of it as just Waikiki, but more as the entire island, which appears to be very diverse in landscape, concentration of populated areas, agriculture, sealife, and such. Then again, I like sightseeing! I like visiting historical places, and I'm into things like mountains -- no mountains in Miami! We've been to Miami often enough that now we go there only if a cruise embarks there, or that was the best airfare for us to get to South Florida and head further south to the Upper or Middle Keys. So anyway, that's why I said I hoped Oahu wasn't just like Miami! Guess I'll find out in less than a month! :)

touring Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum, visiting Doris Dukes' Shangri-la...

We've been to Hawaii several times, and really enjoyed the Iolani Palace with a tour guide one morning, and Doris Dukes Shangri-la through the Honolulu Art Academy. The bedroom wing wasn't open yet, but the rooms and art available were outstanding. Of course, if you haven't been to Oahu before, you'll want to go to Pearl Harbor (early in the morning). Nancy

I would say that Honolulu are like Miami in that they both have a lot of crime in certain sections. Waikiki is a lot like South Beach with lots going on.

:rolleyes: Um...uh....ahem!...that's okay, changed my mind. :)

Waikiki for 3 days pre-cruise and Maui for 5 days post-cruise - hands down!

I was one who avoided Waikiki/Honolulu for several years and stuck only to Maui on vacations. I was on the Island Princess in late Jan/early Feb and absolutely fell in love with Waikiki again. I was not expecting that!

If I could only go to one island, it would still be Maui...but Waikiki is a close second.

I think flying into Honolulu and not having to transfer airports, etc at the start of the trip is a great idea. I think 3 days is a good amount of time - 1 day on Waikiki, one day at Pearl Harbor and a circle island tour, and one for shopping and sunning as you wish. You may find that would prefer to beach in the morning before it gets too hot and crowded - and then head to the Polynesian Cultural Center the first day.

Maui has so very much to offer. The bike ride down Haleakala is fabulous. Sailing tours with Pacific Whale Foundation are always very nice. Lahaina is a great way to spend a day - be sure to eat at Kimo's...and don't forget to order a piece of Hula Pie. The day you visit Lahaina, be sure to stop at the Japanese Jodo Mission on the edge of town. The view of the giant Buddha against the West Maui mountains will take your breath away. Kaanapali is a fun day - beaching, touring the hotels, shopping at Whalers Village. And then, of course, the Kapalua area is absolutely gorgeous. Then there's th Iao Valley - and Hana if you want. I like the Valley...but am not personally fond of Hana.

As for Kona - be sure to get off the ship and visit the seahorse farm (out by the airport). For me, port time in Kona was more than enough time. I spent a few days there many, many years ago but it is not somewhere that I care to return to for any length of time. (just my opinion)

If you have any specific questions, let me know. I've just planned my 2008 trip to Maui and Waikiki so I've done a lot of reading about places, etc recently. I've been to Maui over a dozen times - and Honolulu a couple...can't wait for February to roll around!

Aloha!

Once again Beachchick won't steer you wrong. :) Definitely Oahu first, Maui last, but I would still take some key excursions (like the Sunrise Bike Ride, and maybe something in Lahaina) through the cruise ship so to not waste precious Maui time. I know this wasn't an option you presented, but you may also consider Kauai.

The stock answer for this conclusion is that pretty much everyone who goes on these cruises ends up saying they want to go back to Maui and Kauai, with more people saying they thought Kauai was their favorite island. Nobody says this about Oahu. In all fairness, Oahu gets a raw deal because as the previous posters have said there is a LOT to do there and it's not just Waikiki. The island has a great multi-faceted flavor. Waikiki is great, in my opinion, but then you have the Dole Plantation, North Shore, the southeastern beaches like Kailua, Diamond Head, and other places that some people disagree on like Hanauma Bay and the Poly. Cult. Center. (I liked both.) And if you're into history, Pearl Harbor. You can actually do all these things in 3 days if you pack it in.

The other reason why I and others will tell you do to Oahu first and Maui or Kauai second is because after you see the other islands, Oahu - for all its greatness - may feel less impressive. After having a taste of the other islands on the cruise, you'll want to go back! I did 3 days in Oahu pre-cruise, 2 days post cruise, and I can tell you that I loved the first 3 days, and still had fun the last two but my heart wasn't in it. I had seen things by that point that blew Oahu away, and I was already planning a Kauai/Maui trip someday.

Just my 200 cents.

Aloha!

I agree with those who said pre-cruise on O'ahu and post-cruise on Maui. Actually, you'll really have to pick and choose with just three days on O'ahu. As others have said, Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum - for those like us who are museum hounds. For the sight-seers, there is the Nuuanu Pali Lookout, Byodo-in-Temple, North Shore, Dole Pineapple. Culture lovers would like the Polynesian Culture Center, and the Birthing Stones. Beach lovers could try a ride in an outrigger canoe, surfing lessons, snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, Dolphin encounter, Shark encounter, etc. I disagree with the comparison to Miami. They are both cities with tall buildings, but the similarity ends there. The history and culture are totally different; even the food is different! Where in Miami can you walk into a McDonald's and get spam as your breakfast meat? I ask you?

As for post-cruise, Maui has more to do than the Big Island, but the Big Island has the active volcano. It really boils down to what you like to do when you're on vacation. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Hi,

We are doing what you're doing also. It helped that we bought the Oahu and Maui revealed book since we are spending several days pre and post cruise. We are staying 3 days pre-cruise in Oahu. Here is a our itinerary.

Thurs-arrive early evening, check into hotel, go to Cheesecake factory for dessert

Fri- pick up car at 8 am, go to Hanauma bay (snorkel for 2 hours), go see the sights along the way and head to kailua beach,then off to Pali outlook and then head back to waikiki. return car. dinner at Dukes

Sat- hang out at the beach and check out the area. can't forget to go get some malasadas at Leonard's bakery.

Sun- pick up car at 8 am, go to pearl harbour then head to the North Shore.

After we disembark we are flying to Maui in the early afternoon and staying there 5 nights post cruise. We plan to hang out at the beach and snorkel a lot. Son (12yrs) wants to do some surfing and boogie boarding.

Hope this helps a bit. Can't wait we have been planning this for over a year.

Archived