Amsterdam to Brussels

Hello,

I will be spending a few days in Amsterdam following a Transatlantic cruise and would like to take a day trip to Brussels. What is the best way to get to Brussels from Amsterdam? What is the approximate cost/travel time? Is it best to purchase tickets an advance or can one get them readily at the time they wish to travel?

This is my first time going to Europe, so I am in the dark. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Welcome to Europe!

Just visit

http://www.ns.nl for Dutch Rail

http://www.b-rail.be for Belgish Rail

There you find the schedule and prices.

The trains are going by the hour (and more) - therefore only if you use the THALYS trains you must have a reservation.

Otherwise you just buy a ticket, enter the train and go.

Regards,

HeinBloed

What is the approximate ... travel time?
The train itself is almost three hours each way. Add some time from to-ing and fro-ing at either end (hotel to station, margin/waiting time at station, buying tickets etc) you're going to be spending seven to eight hours of your day just in travel. Personally, I'd regard that as wasted Amsterdam sightseeing time.

It's the same problem as people who are in London for a few days and want to make a day trip to Paris. Without good reason, it's just not a very sensible use of scarce time.

Honestly spoken:

You always need time to get from your hotel to any place in Amsterdam to watch something. And after few days of Amsterdam it could be a good option to get to another place like Brussels.

If you take the train to Brussels Central Station (do not laugh - it's a little tiny station - the main station is Brussels South) and the trains from Amsterdam (besides the THALYS trains) all stops there you are just a few minutes away from Grand Place. 2.50 hrs from Amsterdam Central to Brussels Central.

You can start a little bit earlier and have a nap in the train and stay a little bit longer in Brussels and same on the return trip.

In Amsterdam Central Station international tickets are sold at a seperate area. So it's really no big deal to get a ticket beside there are ticket machines as well.

After few days in Amsterdam you will know the approx. time you need to get to Central Station and you know in advance when your train should go.

There is also another nice alternative:

Easycruise: http://www.easycruise.com - takes at least three days but you also see Rotterdam and Antwerp (like train)...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived