One last question--Kona snorkeling

junebug8

OK, I have prebooked Seaquest (afternoon) and Captain Zodiac (with NCl) for our day in Kona. I am undecided about which one to do. I know that Capt. Zodiac gets rave reviews...seems no one has done Seaquest in p.m.. Difference is about $200 (there are 5 of us). Any thoughts? Thanks.

Aloha! We just returned from our PoAm cruise today and did the Captain Zodiac while in Kona. I can't say enough great things about them! They are professional, fun and very informative. On our way to Captain Cook monument, they sotted some pilot whales and we spent a long time just watching them. The snorkeling was fabulous with visability unlimited. On the way back to the pier, we saw some bottlenose dolphins and were able to spend time with them. On the way back Collin pointed out many fun facts about the coastline and local history. We ended our day in Kona with lunch at Quinn's pub. Let me know if you have any questions...I would do this excursion again in a minute!

OK, I have prebooked Seaquest (afternoon) and Captain Zodiac (with NCl) for our day in Kona. I am undecided about which one to do. I know that Capt. Zodiac gets rave reviews...seems no one has done Seaquest in p.m.. Difference is about $200 (there are 5 of us). Any thoughts? Thanks.

I had not heard of SeaQuest, but I did see one other non-Zodiac tour group at Kealakekua Bay (when I was on the Zodiac), and so when looking up SeaQuest I realized that's who I saw. It seems 99% identical to Zodiac, in terms of where you snorkel, how long you snorkel, the sea cave / lava tube return trip, snacks and snorkel gear provided, etc. Only thing that's not obvious is whether the boat trip is the same kind of high-speed thrill ride. So without actually having been on SeaQuest to confirm that aspect, it otherwise seems a clone of the Zodiac trip. It's possible it is competitively priced and the Zodiac just has an NCL-booking price boost. While I loved Zodiac and would rave endlessly to tell others to do the same, it seems like you may be able to get the same/similar experience for less $$$ with SeaQuest.

Junebug8, really enjoyed Captain Zodiac. I don't know anything about Seaquest. I understand that in the afternoons, the water is a little more cloudy. and it's more choppy. We could tell the difference in the choppiness between going out around 8:30 and coming back about 12:30.

You're getting out of here at the right time, heard it may get to 110 this weekend. Have a wonderful time!!!!

We have been out on SeaQuest at least 4 times and have taken guests with us 2x. Probably one of the most fun cruises we have every done. They take 6 passengers out on a rigid hull zodiac. So it is more of a personal tour as well. They go near the coast and poke the raft into some of the sea caves.We They are professional friendly and do a wonderful job of narrating. They come highly recommended by the authors of Hawaii Revealed Books. We will go out with them again.

Archived