Dinner Question

Yes, there usually is one optional formal night. I think they make one dining room the formal one and the other is for the casual. The other nights, dress is really what you would like it to be. They ask for no shorts, tank-tops, ball caps, etc. Resort casual is the recommended dress if I remember right, but basically it is whatever you would like to wear. As for the Pearl, I've never been on that ship, but I think the pay restaurants vary from $10-20 / person. I'm sure someone will post with the exacts.

I hope this helps.

Unless it's something that NCL has brought back recently, they do NOT designate a formal dining room vs. a casual one. They used to do this, but ended that policy a couple years ago. AFAIK, all of the dining rooms (main and specialty) share the same resort casual dress code.

John is correct :)

Depending on the length of the cruise, there will be one or more optional formal nights where you can choose to "dress up or not". If you would like, you can dress in formal clothes. If you choose not to, resort casual is just fine in all of the restaurants. No shorts, bathing attire or tank tops.

The specialty restaurants range in price for cover charge from FREE to $20 and usually the sushi venue is a la carte pricing. Popular specialty restaurants like Le Bistro are $15 fleetwide, and Cagneys is $20 where they exist, and both require reservations. Restaurants like Mambo's (on the Pearl), and Salsa (on the Dawn) are usually free but also require reservations. There is usually an italian restaurant which varies from free on most ships to a nominal charge on at least one ship and also requires reservations. Blue Lagoon, and Sky High Grill are free, serving "pub food" and no reservations required.

All formal nights are optional in ALL dining venues. They do not designate one dining room as formal. People are all mixed together.

In fact, you are free to dress up any night that you wish on board and not be out of place.

Only about 40% of the passengers will dress up on the first optional formal night and that will range from shirt/tie to tuxes and long gowns. The rest of the people will be in resort casual. (polo shirt, kahki or dockers pants, etc.) Resort casual simply means no shorts, t-shirts, swim attire. They have also recently began to allow jeans (not torn or faded however) on some ships. Even less will dress up if there is a second formal night.

But like I said, if you like to dress up....then go for it and enjoy!! That is the joy of Freestyle.

Unless it's something that NCL has brought back recently, they do NOT designate a formal dining room vs. a casual one. They used to do this, but ended that policy a couple years ago. AFAIK, all of the dining rooms (main and specialty) share the same resort casual dress code.

We have found the same thing.

No designated "formal dining room" on the Dawn or the Jewel in the past few years:).

Archived