Commission to a TA

I love comments like "This is why we never use TA's". Like we all are out to make a huge commission and mess up your reservation.

Not everyone who has used a Travel Agent has had a horrible experience .

You need to pick your agent like you would a hairdresser or even your dentist. By doing your homework. Friends and collegues referrals are the best way. Interview your agent to make sure they understand what you expect from them.

Are they lousy agents out? Sure there are. Like ANY job not every agent should be doing this job. When you get a great agent they are worth their weight in gold and can help you turn a regular vacation into a trip of a lifetime.

I should know I have done it for many of my clients because I love what I do and I'm good at what I do! I love to travel all over the world and I bring my knowledge and experience back to the office.

There are plenty of us out there. Stop bashing agents because of a few bad apples!

Should we start polling what others people do on boards. Any used car salesman out there? Lawyers? Can we talk?:rolleyes:

Very Well said...took the words right out of my mouth!

• 1 month later...
If this is a brick and mortar chances are they are at the lower end of commission schedule 10 % ..

What is a B& M or Brick and Mortar TA?

I am very interested in this thread regarding TA commissions. Four years ago we booked our first cruise. Up until that point and even before the advent of the internet, i always booked my own air & hotel everytime we traveled. This being our first cruise, i was really dumbfounded where to start so i went to a local TA. five cruises later...we LOVE cruising. I have also spent a fortune on cabins as my DH (spoiled but the breadwinner) feels if he is cruising, he isn't going to stay in anything but a suite..works for me but obviously we have spent ALOT on our cruises often taking friends of the kids along.

After the first cruise, I then did do all research for air /cruise, so when i walk in ,it is basically with the date, cabin and ship . All she has to do is book. I have read several threads that say, book with a TA for the cost of a cruise is the same to us and why not give someone a commission rather than the cruise line keeping it. I happen to agree with this.

Making reservations for our upcoming cruise, it will be our first time on PRINCESS and while i picked the ship, cabin and date and gave her all this info..i did change my mind a number of times after she "held a cabin"...as i was considering another RCCL itinerary. In short, I was kindof a pain.

I booked my air separately online since her agency has started to charge 30pp to book air. In the past depending on the trip booked, the agency waved this and since we often booked big bucks cruises, we never had this charge. I did feel badly this booking since i had changed my mind a few times and she held and changed several cabin/ship requests. This peaked my interest into what % she actually earned from my bookings.I do believe she might be salaried but wondered if there was a "bonus" etc.

I did get a giftcard from a top restaurant in town as a thanks for putting up with all my changes:D .

I appreciate all the info brought to this board, especially from the seasoned experts.

I don't think this post really should have much to do with what a TA makes. The OP is in a crummy situation and I think the TA should honour the rate they gave in writing, but it has nothing to do with commission.

Why is it any of your business, frankly? As long as you are satisfied with the service and the price, would it really matter if the TA was only paying the cruiseline a penny for the cruise and pocketing the rest as commission?

I wouldn't care. And it's none of my business. As stated earlier in this thread, we don't ask how much the car salesman makes on our purchases. Would you want people coming to your place of business and asking how much profit you make on whatever service or product you provide, and asking you to discount it to give them an incentive to buy? I don't think so.

I wonder what happened to the OP........this really didn't have anything to do with commission%. I think the OP was actually bending over backwards to make sure the TA didn't lose any money and the TA was not being aboveboard.

YOU are in the position of power here, not them.

Look, if the TA misquoted you and put it in writing, it's too bad for the TA. That's a contract, and they are legally liable. It's not a complaint with the BBB or switching to a dif TA you need to think about. If it's truly like you say (no reason to doubt your word), they have to provide that cruise at the quoted (in writing) price - period. You have a contract, so make sure there is no fine print that allows that price to change. They have to honor that contract, and it is their problem if they misquoted you. If they insist you pay for it, that's a lawsuit. Any reputable agency should know that. Maybe you have an agent who is trying to cover his/her mistake without letting the owner or mgmt know about it.

YOU are in the position of power here, not them.

Look, if the TA misquoted you and put it in writing, it's too bad for the TA. That's a contract, and they are legally liable. It's not a complaint with the BBB or switching to a dif TA you need to think about. If it's truly like you say (no reason to doubt your word), they have to provide that cruise at the quoted (in writing) price - period. You have a contract, so make sure there is no fine print that allows that price to change. They have to honor that contract, and it is their problem if they misquoted you. If they insist you pay for it, that's a lawsuit. Any reputable agency should know that. Maybe you have an agent who is trying to cover his/her mistake without letting the owner or mgmt know about it.

Unless both parties agree to something in writing and both sign a document saying what party A will give party B, then you do not have a contract. If a travel agent gives you a piece of paper with a price on it, it is a quote. You then have to sign and date that quote saying that you agree to the quoted price. At that point the document MAY become a legally binding contract. (I am not a lawyer but the above is my opinion based on my education.)

If this is a brick and mortar chances are they are at the lower end of commission schedule 10 % ..

What is a B& M or Brick and Mortar TA?

I am very interested in this thread regarding TA commissions. Four years ago we booked our first cruise. Up until that point and even before the advent of the internet, i always booked my own air & hotel everytime we traveled. This being our first cruise, i was really dumbfounded where to start so i went to a local TA. five cruises later...we LOVE cruising. I have also spent a fortune on cabins as my DH (spoiled but the breadwinner) feels if he is cruising, he isn't going to stay in anything but a suite..works for me but obviously we have spent ALOT on our cruises often taking friends of the kids along.

After the first cruise, I then did do all research for air /cruise, so when i walk in ,it is basically with the date, cabin and ship . All she has to do is book. I have read several threads that say, book with a TA for the cost of a cruise is the same to us and why not give someone a commission rather than the cruise line keeping it. I happen to agree with this.

Making reservations for our upcoming cruise, it will be our first time on PRINCESS and while i picked the ship, cabin and date and gave her all this info..i did change my mind a number of times after she "held a cabin"...as i was considering another RCCL itinerary. In short, I was kindof a pain.

I booked my air separately online since her agency has started to charge 30pp to book air. In the past depending on the trip booked, the agency waved this and since we often booked big bucks cruises, we never had this charge. I did feel badly this booking since i had changed my mind a few times and she held and changed several cabin/ship requests. This peaked my interest into what % she actually earned from my bookings.I do believe she might be salaried but wondered if there was a "bonus" etc.

I did get a giftcard from a top restaurant in town as a thanks for putting up with all my changes:D .

I appreciate all the info brought to this board, especially from the seasoned experts.

It's none of your business what your travel agent makes on a trip. Either use them for their good service, or figure it all out for yourself. Their salary doesn't play into the equation.

As far as the OP, without actually seeing what was invoiced or what paperwork was handed over, noone here can really comment as to what should/should not be done. It is quite possible people walk into their TA office requesting things they read on here (thinking they understand what they're talking about) and they get it, and don't really understand everything. And they cry that the TA screwed them. We'll never know, so it's between the OP and his TA to figure out. But again, what they make shouldn't matter. If it's their fault, and they're a reputable operation, they'll fix it. If it's one of those online places who don't care much about service, well, you get what you pay for. Live and learn.

No one but the cruise line, agency owner and maybe the actual TA's know what your agency's commission rate is. Generally, if they sell under $30K in cruise revenue (not including port charges, taxes, etc) they will earn 10%. If they sell 30K to 50K, it goes to 11% all the way up to 16% for revenue over $850K. Some large agencies will earn overrides that take them above 16%. The possibility exists that they may only be earning around $750 on your $10,000 booking.

Thanks Joe,

You took the words out of my mouth. . . . I have averaged to about 8% of the gross.

But I love the Cruise Business. . . I have a passion for it !

Radio (still working on my CTC, MCC)

;) ;)

Archived