Alaska clothing????

wernew2cruising

Hey everyone. Another question for all you guys in the know :) !!!! There is a big debate going on in our house right now, DH wants Alaska, we have a chance to go on the Pearl this summer, and I want to do Southern Caribbean in October, on a different cruise line :rolleyes: .

Can someone please tell me what people usually wear on an Alaskan cruise? Jeans okay? We live in the Dallas area and from San Antonio, so what kind of outerclothing do you think we should take, heavy, heavy winter coats or light jackets over long sleeve shirts?

On another note, what do you do on the first cruise day, when someone like me would typically be soaking up the sun on the upper deck?

Thanks everyone for your help in advance. I need to hurry and decide since we are looking at July!

Hey everyone. Another question for all you guys in the know :) !!!! There is a big debate going on in our house right now, DH wants Alaska, we have a chance to go on the Pearl this summer, and I want to do Southern Caribbean in October, on a different cruise line :rolleyes: .

Can someone please tell me what people usually wear on an Alaskan cruise? Jeans okay? We live in the Dallas area and from San Antonio, so what kind of outerclothing do you think we should take, heavy, heavy winter coats or light jackets over long sleeve shirts?

On another note, what do you do on the first cruise day, when someone like me would typically be soaking up the sun on the upper deck?

Thanks everyone for your help in advance. I need to hurry and decide since we are looking at July!

Hi, I'm from Puerto Rico and just came back from Alaska last Sunday.

Temps were between 40's and 50's (more or less), except Seattle (70's). We used the typical layer system (short sleeve shirt or tank top, turtleneck, long sleeve sweater (acrylic, wool, etc), long johns and jeans and a light coat for when were glacier cruising (and outside on deck) and dogsledding on the glacier (plus gloves and hats). Inside the ship you can pretty wear anything (what I mean is the temp is controlled, so it's not cold). I even went to the inside pool (Golden Princess) and the hot tubs!

At nights, I followed the dress code of no jeans, but there were people using them with nice shirts or blouses.

On my 1st cruise day I ate :D , cheked the ship (more or less), went to the show and if your ship has an indoor pool you can also go to the pool ...is not the upper deck, but is the same burning sun!!!

Hope you enjoy your cruise..

In July you will likely find that it will be warm in port. You might want to bring short sleeved shirts if you are just going to shop in town. However, it will probably be cool, if not cold, when you are in Glacier Bay or College Fjord or close to the glaciers. You might need something like a polar fleece, gloves, and hat there. It is also chilly on deck much of the time when the ship is moving. I think the most important thing that you will need is rainwear since it does rain a lot in Alaska. We bought Gore-tex jackets (without the fleece lining) and they were great. We use them all the time at home too. They are expensive ($75-$100 at LL Bean) but well worth the investment. As far as jeans go, many people wear them during the day and change to something a little less casual for dinner in the dining room. If you plan to eat in the buffet you can wear anything.

In July you will likely find that it will be warm in port. You might want to bring short sleeved shirts if you are just going to shop in town. However, it will probably be cool, if not cold, when you are in Glacier Bay or College Fjord or close to the glaciers. You might need something like a polar fleece, gloves, and hat there. It is also chilly on deck much of the time when the ship is moving. I think the most important thing that you will need is rainwear since it does rain a lot in Alaska. We bought Gore-tex jackets (without the fleece lining) and they were great. We use them all the time at home too. They are expensive ($75-$100 at LL Bean) but well worth the investment. As far as jeans go, many people wear them during the day and change to something a little less casual for dinner in the dining room. If you plan to eat in the buffet you can wear anything.

Thanks guys for your replies. It sounds like layering is the key.

Boricua2007...since you live in the neck of the woods I want to go to, can you tell me a little about it? We are booked on Adventure of the Seas in October. Will the weather be conducive to sitting out on top deck?

Are the ports just more caribbean style ports...we are booked on the route with Aruba. With it being October and hurricane season that concerns me a little. Hence why we are rethinking and looking at Alaska.

Thanks for your help,

Cindy

Boricua2007...since you live in the neck of the woods I want to go to, can you tell me a little about it? We are booked on Adventure of the Seas in October. Will the weather be conducive to sitting out on top deck?

Are the ports just more caribbean style ports...we are booked on the route with Aruba. With it being October and hurricane season that concerns me a little. Hence why we are rethinking and looking at Alaska.

Thanks for your help,

Cindy

Hi, Cindy.

AOS is a lovely ship and very energetic. I cruise with them both routes (5/2002 & 5/2003). The weather in PR on October can be a little bit hectic in terms of rain (like you say, hurricane season), but at least regarding SJ, PR you can pretty much rely on what the wheater channel or web site says a week or so before. Unless there is a "vaguada" (don't know the word in English, but it means, lot and lot of rain) announced, it should be hot, humid and sunny.

It's being a while since the last time a hurricane hit us hard (George 9/1998) and I hope this year is no different (eventhough some people say we're already due for one!) Usually September is the feared month here.

That been said, if a hurricane hit near or any of the port of call your cruising, the ship crew will know well in advance and they will change their route accordingly. Different to an earthquake or a tornado, most hurricanes you know well in advance they're coming. Furthermore I've heard the sea can get pretty rocky.

BTW, I don't remember if that route is the one that departs from SJ go to the west of the island and then go south to their first port; if that's so, the sea can get a little bit rocky while cruising by la "Mona Canal" (channel) at the west of the island.

As far as I can remember, yes, most of the ports are "caribbean style ports" (remember, for me that was 4 years ago) beaches, rain forests, kayakin, acuatic sports, horse riding, historical buildings, forts, etc. and for those who like to party hard, they'll always find something to do. Aruba and Curacao are gorgeous islands (besides PR, of course :cool: ).

Enjoy your cruise, whichever your choose I'm sure you'll have a blast!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your help,

Cindy

We are going RCCL Adventure on Oct 7. How about you? We just got back from Alaska.

Our cruise is the second week of September. Living in New York so we know about cold weather, just trying to figure out how much to pack. Flannel lined jeans for the glaciers and outdoors cruising the bays? Or is that too much?

Our cruise is the second week of September. Living in New York so we know about cold weather, just trying to figure out how much to pack. Flannel lined jeans for the glaciers and outdoors cruising the bays? Or is that too much?

I'd be more concerned about ears, hands, and feet. Be sure that you have a warm hat that covers your ears, warm gloves, and warm socks. It will be windy and probably cold. Another must for me is my Gore-tex rain shell.

I'd be more concerned about ears, hands, and feet. Be sure that you have a warm hat that covers your ears, warm gloves, and warm socks. It will be windy and probably cold. Another must for me is my Gore-tex rain shell.

Got gloves and hats galore :) Also rain gear. I see recommendations to take extra socks on excursions. I hate cold, wet feet.

I am in Plano, email me at lisa.hudson@eds.com. We just got back from Alaska July 23rd.

Archived