London Black Cabs...

I have a couple of questions about the Black Cabs in London. Do they by chance accept credit cards or only cash? How much is an average ride from say an attraction in London to a hotel. Do they accept tips and how much is expected? Also does anyone know how much the cost would be to ride a Black Cab from London to Hampton Court Palace and back? How far is it? I asked this question on the Black Cab website but they keep referring me to call a number there. I would prefer to not pay long distance if I can get this last question answered on these wonderful :) cruise critic boards! Thanks. Marilyn :D

I have a couple of questions about the Black Cabs in London. Do they by chance accept credit cards or only cash? How much is an average ride from say an attraction in London to a hotel. Do they accept tips and how much is expected? Also does anyone know how much the cost would be to ride a Black Cab from London to Hampton Court Palace and back? How far is it? I asked this question on the Black Cab website but they keep referring me to call a number there. I would prefer to not pay long distance if I can get this last question answered on these wonderful :) cruise critic boards! Thanks. Marilyn :D

Depending on where your hotel is located you can walk to a lot fo the sights.It would be a lot cheaper to use the metro system than a cab.I think they do take CC's,and as to prices someone else will have to answer that,but they are pretty expensive.If you have not been to London before and want to see the sights I totally suggest using the Hop/On Hop/Off bus..there are a few of them and they do pretty much the same routes,but you can check with your hotle for brochure's,and you can buy the tickets on the bus.Great way to get around London as the traffic can be a bear.As to Hamptom Court...take the train as a cab will be a fortune.Again, your hotel can direct yuou to the right station.Also,do a search on these boards as there is info on how to get to HC by train,and info on the HOHO's as well.

I asked this question on the Black Cab website but they keep referring me to call a number there.
First, which website were you looking at? Was it one of these: "www.londonblackcabs.co.uk" or "www.londonblackcab.com"? They're not official sites, and I think are just companies that happen to operate black cabs. The official site is here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2680.aspx.
I have a couple of questions about the Black Cabs in London. Do they by chance accept credit cards or only cash? How much is an average ride from say an attraction in London to a hotel.
Some cabs do take credit cards, but they tend to add on a pretty hefty fee (10%, 12.5% or thereabouts, often subject to a minimum of something like £2) for the privilege. It's not always easy to spot whether a cab will take a credit card, but those that belong to the bigger radio networks usually do. You can ask before you get in, although it might be a bit frustrating if you have to let a cab go and then wait for the next one.

Within the tourist areas of central London, you can expect most trips to be somewhere between £5 and £10, although obviously it depends very much on how far, how long it takes and how bad the traffic is.

Do they accept tips and how much is expected?
It is customary to tip a little bit, although tip expectations are much lower than you're used to (and since taxi fares went up dramatically about three years ago, much lower than before that time). Rounding up to the next 50p or £1 is usually enough; eg for a £6.70 fare, leave them £7.
Also does anyone know how much the cost would be to ride a Black Cab from London to Hampton Court Palace and back? How far is it?
This is a long way - about 13 miles by road. I would not do this by cab if you're going during the day. It will bankrupt you. Well, not exactly, but it's much easier (and cheaper and probably faster) to go by public transport - train from Waterloo station, at least once every 30 minutes, taking less than 40 minutes and costing £5.70 per person return if you start after 0930.

Globaliser- thank you so much for all of the information. I think I will brave the train to Hampton Court! Marilyn
There is no need to be scared of the train - efficient service from London Waterloo every 30 mins - and Hampton Court is the end of the line so you don't even have to watch out for your stop!

Archived