Coastal Helicopter - 1 or 1 +half hour tour?

ciara

I am definitely booking with Coastal Helicopters in Junea but would like some opinions about whether to take the 1 hour icefield excursion or the 1 + half hr adventure tour - in Junea 1 to 10pm on 26th Aug - thanks for replies

Longer is better. :) However, will the extra expense cause you to cut back elsewhere?? I am an advocate of varied Alaska touring and getting to do what you desire. :) Both are great options, but, my opinion only, the more costly one, not at the expense of another tour.

So far I have booked -:

Island Wings in KETCHIKAN for Traitor's Cove Bear Watching 3pm -7pm (boat docked 1pm -8.30pm) This is only port where we were supposed to tender but I think we are now docked - will check that.

Chilkoot Excursions in SKAGWAY - Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion 7hr trip - pick-up 7.30am (boat docked 7am -6pm)

so Coastal Helicopters will be my last big one to book - in JUNEA from 1pm - 10pm.

Can you suggest anymore HAVE TO SEE in the time left in the ports? Was thinking Salmon Bake in JUNEA

We are from Ireland and I dont suppose we will be back in Alaska so want to experience as much as we can this time!!!

What about the Mendenhall Glacier? It's easy to visit by taking the shuttle/bus from the pier. If you have never been there before, the glacier and the lake are definitely worth seeing. The Visitor Center there is nice too. But you may want to see the Mendenhall before the icefield excursion to avoid that "letdown" feeling.

We took the 1-hr icefield excursion with Coastal 3 weeks ago. The actual time on the glacier was about 15-20 minutes. It wasn't cold (for me) but it started to rain so that was enough time for us. But I imagine a longer tour would be more fun.

Hi Ciara,

We did the 1 hour with Coastal two years ago and I wished we had more tme on the glacier BUT we also fitted in doing a whale watching excursion in Juneau by doing the shorter glacier trip. Either way you will have a brilliant time!

Archived