Opinions on this Snorkel Vest?

Leo Jay

vestrb0.th.jpg

This style of vest seems like it would be so much more comfortable than the more common kind that hang off your neck. Surprisingly, in all my googling, this is one of only two vests I've seen in this style. Why isn't this style more common? Why do so many people seem to opt for the horsehoe collar style? Is there a downside to this style? What am I missing?

:)

From the picture this looks like more of a life jacket style, where its permanently puffy? :) If so, people like the other because you can still dive under to look at something if you want, since its usually deflated.

Don't think so -- you can see an inflation/deflation mechanism along the left sleeve opening (right side of the picture).

:)

that is not a snorkeling vest.. much too bulky.. do a search for snorkel vests and you will find a lot of on line places to order from or a local dive shop will have them.

snorkelcity_1952_2337398make sure you get one that has the strap that goes thru the crotch as this will keep the vest from riding up around your neck area..

that is not a snorkeling vest.. much too bulky.. do a search for snorkel vests and you will find a lot of on line places to order from or a local dive shop will have them.

snorkelcity_1952_2337398make sure you get one that has the strap that goes thru the crotch as this will keep the vest from riding up around your neck area..

It's just a different style of snorkeling vest. I was thinking I might prefer this style specifically because it doesn't hang off the neck like most.

Hi all...

I would have to see this vest closely. If it does have any full time flotation i.e. foam etc., then it would not be a very good snorkeling vest. The downside to a vest like this is that it adds more "bulk" even deflated it will have more bouyancy. Also, when snorkeling you are in a face down position so having the flotation under you is more comfortable. With a jacket type vest, it may tend to try to roll you onto your back.

Hope this helps!!!

Ted:)

Oh gosh, the regular snorkel vest works very well, isn't at all bulky, allows you to float (bob) upright, and quickly inflated and deflated.

A couple of our snorkel sites had quite a swift current, so much so that we walked to the far entrance to the water, and drifted back to the bottom end.I really would not have been comfortable doing this without my "vest".

It gave me that extra bit of confidence I needed.

I doubt you will have a problem with it around your neck.;)

Oh gosh, the regular snorkel vest works very well, isn't at all bulky, allows you to float (bob) upright, and quickly inflated and deflated.

A couple of our snorkel sites had quite a swift current, so much so that we walked to the far entrance to the water, and drifted back to the bottom end.I really would not have been comfortable doing this without my "vest".

It gave me that extra bit of confidence I needed.

I doubt you will have a problem with it around your neck.;)

Ok, I guess I just have a negative association with the over-the-neck style because last year, my first time snorkeling, I ended up using a big orange life jacket, which of course is quite a bit heavier and much more uncomfortable around your neck than an inflatable snorkel vest... It was okay IN the water, but once out, it was just uncomfortable and almost claustrophobia-inducing. :D

Ok, I guess I just have a negative association with the over-the-neck style because last year, my first time snorkeling, I ended up using a big orange life jacket, which of course is quite a bit heavier and much more uncomfortable around your neck than an inflatable snorkel vest... It was okay IN the water, but once out, it was just uncomfortable and almost claustrophobia-inducing. :D

i think you'd find the one you posted a picture of very bulky and cumbersome...they don't use the 'old' ones you were referring to anymore.. even the excursions now use the one i sent you the pic of..

March22Roatan02117Custom.jpg

I was floating... not moving arms or legs.. and see how level I am being held in the water?;)

March22Roatan02119Custom.jpg

By the time I got to shore, I had the vest completely deflated.

( I will be 65 my next birthday, so ..yes, time to take a few precautions.):)

• 3 weeks later...

This IS a Snorkel vest!! My wife is not a good swimmer and has had issues with the rental vest. I am considering this vest for her. It can be found Here:

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Comfort-Snorkel-Snorkeling-Jacket/dp/B000PKPSCK

Here is a review I found on it:

"Just used this vest snorkeling off the beaches in Maui and at Molokini crater. It was the envy of everyone. Fits extremely well with plenty of adjustment buckles, does not ride up around the head. It has large pockets that are buckled as well. You can hang items such as flashlights and emergency whistles on it. Snorkeling was extremely comfortable and effortless thanks to this incredible jacket. It also offers a great deal of safety in case you are separated or tired. Simply the best snorkeling jacket out there. Can also be used for swimming safety and excercise. Easy to inflate or deflate using the tube which can be locked to prevent inadvertent deflation. I deflated in order to dive deep to take pictures of a lying turtle. Easily inflated with a few puffs. Getting back to the boat became difficult once because of the wind and I turned over onto my back and flipped over very fast and safely without having to use the snorkel 5 stars A+++ product. Great service and immediate shipping. MAHALO!"

Hope this helps.

Have a GREAT cruise!!

I take back my 'bulky and cumbersome' remark as I did not know you could inflate/deflate as the simpler snorkel vests do...this does look like it would be extremely good for an inexperienced swimmer, would give them more confidence.. and as I said you do need the strap that goes thru the crotch on the more simple snorkel vests to keep them from riding up.. most excursions do not provide this strap but if you purchase one on your own it should come with it...

Raceroc,,

thank you for your informative post.. that's what these boards are all about.. we appreciate the continued support from our Cruise Critic family!

I looked at this vest last month for my DW and decided to go with the other type because I could not find any comments about how comfortable it was in the water. Its a little more money, I guess I should have tried it.

I looked at this vest last month for my DW and decided to go with the other type because I could not find any comments about how comfortable it was in the water. Its a little more money, I guess I should have tried it.

Hmm, I had almost decided against this model because of what Host Star said about the value of crotch straps, and I couldn't see any indication of those on this model. But now I think I may as well go with my initial reaction and try it -- I have time to exchange it for the more common style if I'm unhappy with it.

I received the vest today. Shipping was extremely quick and the vest is not big and bulky as it appears in the picture. Looks like just what I needed for my wife. It has no crotch straps, but has adjustable side straps for a snug fit.

• 2 weeks later...
I received the vest today. Shipping was extremely quick and the vest is not big and bulky as it appears in the picture. Looks like just what I needed for my wife. It has no crotch straps, but has adjustable side straps for a snug fit.

Arrgh -- why did I delay so long? Amazon's now sold out. Found this one on ebay though. Looks a little bulkier than the one on Amazon, with the pockets and all, but it should do fine, I guess.

7Avf5s.jpeg

Check with 101snorkel he claims to have a few more...Better hurry!

http://www.101snorkel.com/Easy2Use_Hi_Vis_Zipper_Front_Snorkel_Vest_p/zipvest.htm?gclid=CODci5HzoI0CFRIXZAodZzXq5Q

This is the company that Amazon shipped from.

Bummer! Already won the ebay auction. Thanks for letting me know, though.

I was going to order from 101snorkel directly, but somehow wasn't able to find them when I googled before. Not sure what I did wrong -- grrrrrr...

Anyway, I saved a few bucks. The eBay item was $45.75 including S&H... some consolation... And maybe if I don't put anything in those front pockets, it won't be as bulky-looking as it does in the photo...

[edit] on closer comparison of the two photos, I'm not entirely sure they're not exactly the same. I should just wait 'til I get it and see if I'm happy with it before I start bellyaching. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived