RC Luggage Tags

We are leaving Monday for our Cruisetour to Alaska on the Radiance. My question is regarding the luggage tags we were sent with our documents. We made our own air arrangements and are flying from Newark NJ to Fairbanks with a stopover in Seattle. Do I put the tags on before we leave home or do we wait until we claim our bags in Fairbanks?

Since you made your own air and transfer (?) arrangements, wait until you claim your luggage after your flights to put them on. The only thing this does is prohibits the airline baggage handlers from having an opportunity to lose or destroy your cruise tags!

We are leaving Monday for our Cruisetour to Alaska on the Radiance. My question is regarding the luggage tags we were sent with our documents. We made our own air arrangements and are flying from Newark NJ to Fairbanks with a stopover in Seattle. Do I put the tags on before we leave home or do we wait until we claim our bags in Fairbanks?

I would definately wait till you claim the luggage.

I would definately wait till you claim the luggage.

We booked through a TA, just received our docs and tags the other day. We are leaving on 6/28 4 nt. on Enchantment, flying from LI to FLL...I called my TA, and confirmed what it said in the Guide...She said to put the tags on before we leave home? hmmmm, not sure what to do now LOL

We always wait until after we have picked up our luggage at the airport. Like the others said, it's too easy for the tags to get ripped off enroute. Unless the cruiseline is picking up your luggage for you at the airport.

Put them on before you leave homw so if the airline loses the bag they will know what ship to try to get it to. The phone numbers on any other tags you have on the bag should be to someone else who knows your iteneray so they can let the airline know where to send the bag. If you have your phone number on the bag you may get home to find a message that the airline found your bag the next day but did not know what to do with it.

If the ship tag gets torn off in transit, you can get more tags at the port.:)

Wait till you collect your bags in Fairbanks and then put on the cruise tags - do not put them on before your flight because the 'bar code' on the cruise tag has been known to confuse the airline machine that reads the flight bar code - and put your bags on the wrong plane!

Put them on before you leave homw so if the airline loses the bag they will know what ship to try to get it to. The phone numbers on any other tags you have on the bag should be to someone else who knows your iteneray so they can let the airline know where to send the bag. If you have your phone number on the bag you may get home to find a message that the airline found your bag the next day but did not know what to do with it.

If the ship tag gets torn off in transit, you can get more tags at the port.:)

I think the OP has a longer flight than I do, mine is SW and non-stop. I think I am going to listen to you sprintxbill:)

I actually called SW directly and asked though, the gentleman had said that they might get torn off if you put them on before the flight, but that they wouldn't get "confused" if they were on there.

We have I think 6 tags between me and DH, so if I use 2 or 3 for our checked bags, and they accidentally get ripped off or damaged, I will bring the extras with us and replace them before we go to RC airport transfer.

We have 2 other couples travelling with us for their 1st cruise (my second), and they are asking me for all this advice...I don't want to tell them to do the wrong thing:o

Kind of confusing on what to do with these hehe. Last time I drove to the port so it was much less confusing...I always wonder about flying and luggage. Worried they will get confused if on there, worried that if the bags get "lost" that if the tags aren't on there they wouldn't know to forward them to the ship, worried worried worried LOL, what's the point.

Thanks spring for your advice, especially on the phone number...might put our cell phones? Not sure about that either LOL. OK, even though I am not the OP, it sure was a good ?. Thanks for the feedback!

I have always put the tags on before we leave home.....I figure that way, the luggage can catch up with me if it doesn't make it to the last airport! As I recall, the instructions say to put them on before you leave home.

Don't put ANY tags on your bags prior to the flight--they have a hard enough time keeping track of their own luggage tags!!!! Wait until you get possession of your luggage. It only takes a second to tear off the airline tags and attach the ship's tags.

In an outside pocket on each suitcase, put a cell phone number and your next destination. That way, should something go awry, they will know how to contact you. (If they lose your bags with their own tags, what makes you think they'll get the bags to you with RCI tags????!)

I have always put the tags on before we leave home.....I figure that way, the luggage can catch up with me if it doesn't make it to the last airport! As I recall, the instructions say to put them on before you leave home.

Yes, the guide book does say to put them on Before You Leave Home.

Thanks MiniMom!

Don't put ANY tags on your bags prior to the flight--they have a hard enough time keeping track of their own luggage tags!!!! Wait until you get possession of your luggage. It only takes a second to tear off the airline tags and attach the ship's tags.

In an outside pocket on each suitcase, put a cell phone number and your next destination. That way, should something go awry, they will know how to contact you.

(If they lose your bags with their own tags, what makes you think they'll get the bags to you with RCI tags????!)

hmmm, another conflicting opinion, LOL I am so confused. Some say put em on, some say no..aaaahhhhhh

The part about losing bags with their own tags....Too funny! Probably very true.

Thanks

Archived