Rccl Unfair One Day Sale Policy???

You can't be serious!!! The shareholders would pat them on the back for the increased profits. Increased profits equals increased dividend checks!

You are the one that can't be serious if you understand business. They would lose all credibility with the customers and it would be bad business. Do you think taht they could raise the price one day $200 - $400 and not get so much bad press that they would be under fire. I guess you have never worked in a leading role in a company to be able to make those decisions. If you did, I am sure they are out of business by now.

Since many feel that I am complaining over RCCL's policy to allow balcony discounts to Diamond members, and because many feel that I think RCCL owes Diamond members or me in particular a favor because of cruising more often, I will give this explanation.

In the business world, let's taking advertising for example...If a business gives a TV station a million dollars in advertising revenue and advertises 52 weeks a year to have their product on TV, and another individual business only gives the TV station $100,000 and advertises 12 weeks a year, the business who invested one million dollars and advertises 52-weeks will always get a lower rate and more benefits.

Even though the 12 week advertiser is important, it's the 52-week businesses that keep profits up and goals intact, not the casual advertiser, even though they are important.

So I would disagree with one of the previous posts who said they hope because I think RCCL owes me the world, they hope that RCCL does not get rid of the Crown & Anchor program.

Fact is...Even though the casual cruiser or once or twice in a lifetime cruiser is important, from a business position, a cruise company would not survive with the once or twice in a lifetime cruiser. The repeat cruiser is just as important and that is why the cruise industry developed these incentives because they knew once they had a repeat customer hooked, the incentives would keep them coming back and filling their pockets. They also figured if people were repeat customer, then they must have a lot of money to spend on higher priced rooms, etc.

So, as stated before, everyone has their opinion, but I do not see anything wrong with my opinion on this subject.

I could easily argue the other side of that coin. The $12,000 advertiser has a bigger mark up and more profit for the radio station. It takes both the big timer who they barely make a profit on and the small guys.

Also, as some here pointed out just because someone only has cruised once on RCI, that doesnt mean they wouldnt cruise as much or more than you in the future. Your logic is not necessarily correct. I just stopped working and moved to take care of parents and just started cruising. Been on RCI once so have no benefits, but was gung ho to get to platinum and diamond...I couldnt wait. They took the wind out of my sails when they pulled both smaller less expensive ships out of Galveston I have to admit, but Im driving to Florida to get in a 2nd cruise credit. I may also have more cruising years ahead of me than you do.

Its important to RCI to get newer younger cruisers interested in the Brand.

Edited to say again to Dave, I dont think anyone would argue that the sale was poorly carried out and inconsistent. That was just wrong.

C&A TOS says:

Special Rates on Balcony and Suite Staterooms

Promotion may be redeemed at any travel agency, at time of booking, and is not transferable. This program is capacity controlled and may be withdrawn at any time. Promotion is applicable to balcony and suite categories only and is available to Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus Crown & Anchor members only. The offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares and is not combinable with any other promotion or offer unless expressly stated therein.The offer value will be deducted from final payment upon review by Royal Caribbean International, to verify applicability. Discount applies on a per stateroom basis, double occupancy. Prices vary by ship and sailing dates and space is subject to availability at time of booking. A valid Crown & Anchor Membership Number must be presented to the reservations agent when making your arrangements. Please call or have your travel agent call our exclusive toll-free number 888-437-1953 to make arrangements.

ETA: Sorry to be redundant, I see this was already posted above. I should have finished reading the entire thread before posting.

plus my TA tells me the rates are $200-$400 higher than the past week.

Then you should find a new travel agent, as they have no business giving out misinformation like that.

But, on second thought, in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10494581#post10494581 you posted

My TA also pointed out from calls she is getting that most of the cruises today are $100 more than yesterday in pricing.

So maybe we shouldn't be so quick as to fault the travel agent for misinformation, based on this heresay account. I have a feeling the travel agent's statement may have been slightly embellished (or entirely created).

Unfair.....geez at least you had a Sale...we over this side of the pond didnt :mad: although it didnt stop me booking another cruise :D

While my american cruise buddies were taking advantage of this Sale I decided what the heck and booked my cabin with RCCI UK instead as we have an Early Booking discount (approx $400)in place just now and I had a voucher for $100 OBC and I get to use my Diamond Balcony discount and can use C&A coupon if one comes out for my sailing...so I am not complaining really :D

Good for you Liz:) ;) , enjoy!!

John.

Oh, I can't believe I'm doing this! In the past, I've always sat back and grinned reading various threads where the posters go back and forth and back and forth disecting the silliest things. Having said that - here I go!! (Dave, I should be content to let you do the talking for me as I totally agree with everything you've said.) First of all, I am not complaining other than the fact that the WOW was misleading. If Dillard's advertises an "Early Bird Sale," and I beat down the door at 7 am, I would expect things to be "on sale" rather than "for sale." And, I'd expect admittance even though I've been a loyal customer for many, many years. I've also worked in sales and figured someone would argue the fine point of the word "sale." We are not in the least bit upset as we had already booked all of the itineraries we can handle. All I'm saying is that our RCCL agent was confused, TA's didn't understand and the so-called "sale" wasn't a sale across the board and that the WOW wasn't very well thought out. I have an advertising/marketing background and think onboard credits are a great way to lure new customers. We're stockholders and want to see that price continue to be a good investment. I hope they have a WOW every six months - maybe sometimes for insides only, oceanviews only, seniors only, parents with kids only, balconies only, diamonds only ... just let everyone know the rules upfront. (Hmmm ... wonder if any new 2009's have opened up ... off to go take a peek ... maybe we can squeeze in one more booking!)

Hello MJ and FireFly...I totally agree with you. It was never my intention to drag this on. When my travel agent told me either on board credit nad a 50% less deposit, or don't do the deal and just book normally, I took the deal because we just 2-other cruises a couple of weeks ago, and with college graduations, etc coming up, saving the deposit was a bonue. I did not bark or anything to her. IT WASN'T A BIG DEAL TO ME.

I guess where I got caught up in this was early on, I made a simle comment that I thought RCCL's way of handling this one day sale was a bit diffcult to understand. Even though in the C & A terms, it mentions restrictions, I had thought that the category of Platinum or Diamond member was just that...and why was there a restriction for this sale, but if you did the exact same thing on the ship you were OK, and why were the RCCL representatives confused themselves. That's all.

I guess from my simple question, many just started to get on me and say I was greedy, etc. It had nothing to do with greed or money. I had an opinion and questions like everyone else did, but I guess my questions were in the minority.

Anyway, thanks for your posts and I think it's time to get on to cruising.

Hello MJ and FireFly...I totally agree with you. It was never my intention to drag this on. When my travel agent told me either on board credit nad a 50% less deposit, or don't do the deal and just book normally, I took the deal because we just 2-other cruises a couple of weeks ago, and with college graduations, etc coming up, saving the deposit was a bonue. I did not bark or anything to her. IT WASN'T A BIG DEAL TO ME.

I guess where I got caught up in this was early on, I made a simle comment that I thought RCCL's way of handling this one day sale was a bit diffcult to understand. Even though in the C & A terms, it mentions restrictions, I had thought that the category of Platinum or Diamond member was just that...and why was there a restriction for this sale, but if you did the exact same thing on the ship you were OK, and why were the RCCL representatives confused themselves. That's all.

I guess from my simple question, many just started to get on me and say I was greedy, etc. It had nothing to do with greed or money. I had an opinion and questions like everyone else did, but I guess my questions were in the minority.

Anyway, thanks for your posts and I think it's time to get on to cruising.

Dave,

Cruising is more fun, isn't it!!!?

I hope that you didn't take my posts as "being on you"....

Like you I had an opinion though it was respectfully in disagreement about it. I did come to understand the terms of what was offered after I "cleared my mind" from being caught up in a hype and frenzy moment. :rolleyes:

I guess I look at this stuff from the perspective of what a friend of mine says "Whatever the market will bear." Of course, that is pretty simplistic. I admit that.

Have some GREAT cruises!!!!

Hi Dave, Im sure I was just in a mood last night. I wouldnt say which cruiseline, but I had just been reading some poster who was diamond? or whatever who called up the cruiseline and told them that finally her husband was willing to join her on the cruise and asked for an upgrade because if he went and enjoyed the cruise then that would bring them lots more revenue. She was so darn put out that they did not get upgraded and something for free.

That was probably influencing me, sometimes it does seem like folks who have been cruising longer want something for nothing and claim its their due because they have lots or cruises in the past and loyal customers, etc.

But if no one has complaints then what would be reading, no fun reading everyone agreeing with each other. We can disagree and still like each other.

Back to cruising I agree.

Hello Havanna and Firefly...Thanks for your comments. Yes we can agree to disagree. i was never upset, nor do I ever get upset. It isn't in me to get upset. I've been told I am too mellow, HOWEVER, after some of the initial comments to my first post, I decided to continue with my posts to see what everyone had in mind.

I think we can all agree that RCCL has a tendancy of not being completely clear with some of their sales or promotions You would think RCCL's customer service reps would all be on the same page, so we would not have to look through pages of fine print to find out information on our own, when we rely on them to help us when we make the reservation.

As far as being mad or anything like that...No Way! Enjoy your crusing too.

Hello Havanna and Firefly...Thanks for your comments. Yes we can agree to disagree. i was never upset, nor do I ever get upset. It isn't in me to get upset. I've been told I am too mellow, HOWEVER, after some of the initial comments to my first post, I decided to continue with my posts to see what everyone had in mind.

I think we can all agree that RCCL has a tendancy of not being completely clear with some of their sales or promotions You would think RCCL's customer service reps would all be on the same page, so we would not have to look through pages of fine print to find out information on our own, when we rely on them to help us when we make the reservation.

As far as being mad or anything like that...No Way! Enjoy your crusing too.

I have posted on another thread...the Wow Sale was not a sale for all ships...I called Thursday to book the 12 night Explorer and was given a price by a website TA.She put me on hold and called the cruisleine and was given a cabin number assignment and price..I told her to book the cruise and gave her my credit card number.She said this was a pre-booking because the sale did not start until Friday.She said she was coming in at 5:00Am to begin processing all the reservations.She told me what my credit card would be charged and I would be given a $200.00 OBC...Mid Friday morning the TA called to tell me that the cruise had gone up $200.00 .She was very angry with the cruiseline--so was I.I called it Bait & Switch..Luckily I did not make any travel plans so I cancelled the cruise..We have been on 40 cruises and this has never happened before to us...

Hello Cruiseoholic...I think the main message with all of this, at least in mind mind, is consistancy. Obviously, I did not explain what was really the underlying problem that well on my earlier posts.

I think everyone, including myself can understand whatever program RCCL puts in place, even with certain restrictions, but it would be nice to know that all RCCL phone employees understand the program so they can provide us with accurate information.

As was proven this time around, if you spoke to one rep, you got one price and one explanation and if you spoke to another rep, you got another price and a different explnation.

If this had happened, this post would have probably received a dozen or so views instead of close to 3,000 views.

Hello Cruiseoholic...I think the main message with all of this, at least in mind mind, is consistancy. Obviously, I did not explain what was really the underlying problem that well on my earlier posts.

I think everyone, including myself can understand whatever program RCCL puts in place, even with certain restrictions, but it would be nice to know that all RCCL phone employees understand the program so they can provide us with accurate information.

As was proven this time around, if you spoke to one rep, you got one price and one explanation and if you spoke to another rep, you got another price and a different explnation.

If this had happened, this post would have probably received a dozen or so views instead of close to 3,000 views.

I totally agree. It was not the fact that our diamond discount or certificates did not apply we understood that, finally. It was the fact that we received so many different answers from RCI and that some were given the discount and guarantee of price drops in the future but most were not. For the people that were given the discounts and guarantee, don't count on it, they will probably say oops sorry we goofed they don't apply. Wouldn't surprise me at all. The discrimination and false information are what I object to.

I was going to book a cruise for my daughter and husband on RCCL's WOW cruise for them to travel with us on the Explorer. I got up early and checked the prices thinking they may have gone down a bit from Thursday's prices. I was totally shocked that they had gone up Over $150 pp. Sorry kids, you dont' get the cruise. No discount only a bait and switch.

Ann

Archived