Norwegian fiords and north cape

We have just booked for the Norwegian Fiords and North Cape cruise on the new Queen Victoria for July 2008. Could anyone please give me any information on this itinerary, good or bad, together with a list of "must sees" and any weather info. A guide to any previous reviews would be most appreciated as I have searched and cannot find any that refers to the North Cape. Thanks very much in anticipation.

Marilyn

I sailed past Nordkapp in June 2005 and have kitchen magnets from the location showing the latitude and longitude - which is about all there is at Nordkapp. To me, it was just one big rock jutting out into the North Sea which we sailed past, quite close. There is a metal globe sculpture on the promontory at Nordkapp which you can view by googling "Nordkapp". I looked up the locale on the Web and decided to pass on the shore excursion.

As far as weather is concerned, during this cruise I was wearing a wool jacket with wool slacks on deck most of the time. I think this type of outfit would suffice most of the time. On mountaintops, it is misty and dreary, sometimes light rain. It is hard for me to remember details about the weather because I was so gobsmacked by the beauty surrounding me. You can easily check local weather in Norway this summer on any weather site on the Web now and for July and it will give you an idea of local conditions for 2008.

In Norway, you will see dark rocks and jutting mountains with occasional greenery and winding roads thru mountain passes. Our slow cruise up the fjord into Geiranger was memorable - we had a Norwegian guide onboard to relate exciting tales of ordinary life in a hut clinging to a vertical fjord wall.

One of my favorite memories of Norway was on the bus from Bergen to the Voss Railway - we passed several homes built onto steep slopes which had wooden ski jumps in their backyards. Our guide said that the Norwegian flags flying on the houses’ flagpoles were to invite their neighbors to visit. If the flag is up, please stop by!

The railway trip from Voss to Flam and the roaring waterfall stop along the route was exciting. Train pax disembark briefly at the waterfall which is located immediately next to the train tracks. You can get up close and personal for great pix of the plunging cascades of water - any conversation will be muted by the volume of water passing yards away from you.

I have been cruising for decades and this Norwegian Fjord/Svalbard cruise is one of my most favorite cruises. You will have a grand time, seeing exciting geologic wonders onboard a fine Cunard ship.

Happy sails!

Ruby

We have just booked for the Norwegian Fiords and North Cape cruise on the new Queen Victoria for July 2008. Could anyone please give me any information on this itinerary, good or bad, together with a list of "must sees" and any weather info. A guide to any previous reviews would be most appreciated as I have searched and cannot find any that refers to the North Cape. Thanks very much in anticipation.

Marilyn

There is a Roll Call for the Grand Princess sailing to the Norwegian Fjords and North Cape on 16th July this year. The itinerary is Southampton to Stavanger, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Trondheim, Honningsvag (North Cape), Tromso, Flaam, Bergen and return to Southampton.

You might like to log on to this Roll Call and you could possibly pick up some useful tips on what the members have planned for themselves or as small groups taking independent trips as opposed to the Princess tours.

I am quite sure that someone on the Roll Call will post a review of the trip so keep looking for this under the Members Review section. We found there was very little information on Norway but have managed to get some useful booklets from the various websites

Try the following:

www.fjordnorway.com for a general overall insight to Norway

info@visitBergen.com or www.visitBergen.com (Bergen)

www.trondheim.no (Trondheim)

flaamsbana@visitflam.com or www.flaamsbana.no (Flaam railway link)

www.RegionStavanger.com or info@RegionStavanger.com (Stavanger)

www.nordkapp.no or info@northcape.no (for Honningsvag & North Cape)

www.visitgeirangerfjorden.com (for Geiranger and area)

All brochures which I sent for arrived very quickly and were most helpful in planning what to do in each port. In some cases, after exploring the options of going independently in some of the ports, it worked out no more expensive and less hassle to book excursions with the cruise line - think we are doing half on our own and half through Princess.

Hope this information helps. It might prove useful to start a Roll Call for your sailing. We have been indebited to so many people over the years who through the Roll Calls have helped us plan ahead and be prepared.

Good Luck with your plans and happy sailing

Regards from Suron in Bristol, England

Cruzadict - If you had difficulty finding info on your itinerary on this forum, I'm surprised - there's lots here.

If you just searched for cruise reviews of North Cape itineraries, perhaps these suggestions will help you find useful info on this message board:

1) Did you use the "Search this Forum" tool at the top, right side of the list of threads on this message board? (Please forgive such an obvious question, as this may be what you did try, but I just wanted to start with the basics.)

2) When you use the "Seach this Forum" tool, select "Advanced Search" (at the bottom of the box)

-> then, when the next screen comes up, select "Search by Key Word" and, below that "Search Titles Only"

At that point, try searching "Norway" Norwegian" "Fjords" and the names of the individual ports you'll be visiting.

As you can tell from my 'nom de plume', Norway is our favourite cruise destination. We try to do it every summer. That should be seen as a strong recommendation for your choice!! It's an incredibly beautiful part of the world.

Archived