Something I noticed today....

mad4rda

I had to pick some friends up this morning from London Gatwick Airport and whilst I was waiting, I couldn't help but notice Celebrity staff walking through the Arrivals area holding up Celebrity signs.

I watched with interest as they 'corralled' up their passengers, stuck little yellow stickers on their chests after they had been 'checked' off and then ordered everyone into an orderly queue before marching them out through the airport to a bus.

It kind of reminded me of a school trip!!

I'm heading out on the Mercury in September to Alaska and I'm glad I'm flying in a day early and arranging my own transport. Not too sure I like the Celebrity way of transfers...

But then again, no one seemed to complaining and I did feel for everyone who had come off the overnight flights, they all looked so tired and I bet they couldn't wait to get the ship to start relaxing!!!

Kazza

I had to pick some friends up this morning from London Gatwick Airport and whilst I was waiting, I couldn't help but notice Celebrity staff walking through the Arrivals area holding up Celebrity signs.

I watched with interest as they 'corralled' up their passengers, stuck little yellow stickers on their chests after they had been 'checked' off and then ordered everyone into an orderly queue before marching them out through the airport to a bus.

It kind of reminded me of a school trip!!

I'm heading out on the Mercury in September to Alaska and I'm glad I'm flying in a day early and arranging my own transport. Not too sure I like the Celebrity way of transfers...

But then again, no one seemed to complaining and I did feel for everyone who had come off the overnight flights, they all looked so tired and I bet they couldn't wait to get the ship to start relaxing!!!

Kazza

Some people like to have everything taken care of for them so they don't have to think about it. We always arrange our own transportation, but there may come a time when that changes. Look forward to meeting up with you in September! We will get to Vancouver two days in advance to sightsee. We have a hotel booked in Vancouver, but that will probably change.

I thought these little stickers were only used with excursions (which are quite convenient when visiting a large crowded area). We always booked our transfers with X and never got the stickers, never felt 'corralled up' or never were ordered into an orderly queue to march out of the airport... We always experienced our arrival at the airports as a warm welcome and found the transfers well organized, never felt like being on a school trip.:)

Just about a month ago Wanda and I were two of about seven THOUSAND people who spilled and stuffed themselves into the airport in Vancouver. Three ships docked that morning and I was very glad we didn't have to think about anything while Celebrity made sure we got to the airport.

They have to get us moving somehow............yellow stickers are better than a large mega phone.....:D

There is safety in numbers. Unfortunately, in most countries (including the US) tourists are targets of both crime and just generally being "ripped off". That means taxi rides that deliberately take too long with crazy drivers.

In Milan (2002) our flight arrived at 7AM. I was told there would be a bus to Como but after waiting for 30 minutes- there were no buses coming in or out of the airport. So- now what? I asked a cab driver how much to "Bellagio". He said 100 Euros. After a two hour ride- where the guy got lost and kept asking for directions- he said that he would have to charge me 200 Euros. I was traveling alone with my 13 year old son and the driver was very intimidating. So, I gave him the 200 Euros- like a dummy.

I say, stick with the group tours if you feel uncomfortable having to deal with the locals.

While I always arrange our transportation when we arrive somewhere I can appreciate how someone who has had an overnight flight, probably didn't sleep and maybe had a wee bit too much to drink would just love the sight of someone directing them to a bus, yellow sticker and all.

We always use X or RCCL transfers except last Jan. when we used the free hotel service in San Diego. It may be more expensive, but it's worth it to us not to have to mess with doing it oursleves.

Last year we flew into Gatwick for our RCCL Jewel of the Seas cruise to the Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords cruise. We came in 3 days early and were with another couple. We all expected to be put on a motor coach as usual, but SURPRISE! Each couple got a private car and driver. The driving from Gatwick to the City Inn Westminster was almost terrifying as the drivers whizzed in and out of traffic with motorcycles going between lanes. :eek: When I saw a motorcycle within reaching distance of my arm, I finally closed my eyes for a while and just prayed. :D

If we were tired after our mostly sleepless overnight flight--that really woke us up. The adrenaline was flowing for hours afterward. lol

We never mind the stickers, but I will say we've never had them for transfer shuttles, just excursions. For me, the excursion sticker is my security badge, lol.

If you've got a couple of bags per person, you're tired from a long flight, then I can see all sorts of reasons for using the cruise line transfer. Especially it's a potentially such hard work as Gatwick to Southampton or Harwich.

We did a 'do-it-yourself' transfer at Rome (Fiumicino -> Civitavecchia), after just a 2 and a half hour flight, and it was hard work: heavy bags, two trains, buying tickets, etc. This year we're taking Celebrity's transfers. I'm looking forward to getting my sticker!

Archived