Anyone cruise with PD ( Peritoneal Dialysis)?

Joanniebop

I've done searches on PD but the info is pretty old, so was wondering if anyone has cruised recently on PD?

Even though my DH has other disabilities it has not stopped us from cruising.

He has only been on PD for a few months.

We made our first air trip recently and things were OK except, I made a few blunders on the machine but I was able to call the 800#.

Not worried about delivery of machine and supplies.

Little scared about being out at sea, if having a problem with the machine.

Don't know what I would do.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Joannie

My DW is on PD but doesn't use the machine.

We have been on three cruises and one aborted cruise because they misplaced the cases of solution so we had to leave the ship before it sailed. It turned out that the crew had placed the cases in with the ships medical supplies and didn't discover them until two days into the cruise.

You are brave to fly and depend on the supplies being delivered to your destination. My wife isn't that brave. We live 60 miles south of Seattle so we only go on Alaska cruises. I carefully label the cases of supplies on all four sides and we transport them to the ship ourselves.

She has had no trouble doing the dialysis on the ship but of course she is very careful about sanitation.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Thank you so much for your reply and I do remember reading your posts about the mishap with the delivery of your DW's supplies...what a major bummer!

After reading your response I realize how important it is for me to learn to do manual exchanges, which I have not been been trained. We see our PD nurse this week and I will inquire.

I don't think I would cruise unless it was from a port in the states.

We use Fresinius and they were perfect for our recent trip to Colorado. Everything that I requested was there including a brand new machine ( I did have to put it together and repack it when we were done, but it all worked out.)

Maybe we will cruise together one day!

Have a great night!

Joannie

Hi I do PD through Fresinius as well. I was told the machine will not work on the ships because it will set the alarms off.. All of my manuels are delivered to the ship and in my stateroom by the time I arrive. I do 3 to 4 cruises a year and have never had any problems.

Hi I do PD through Fresinius as well. I was told the machine will not work on the ships because it will set the alarms off.. All of my manuels are delivered to the ship and in my stateroom by the time I arrive. I do 3 to 4 cruises a year and have never had any problems.

One more reason to be trained to do manuals. How much easier that must be than worrying about the machine alarming/malfunctioning.

Must get the training ASAP..just in case a cruise offer comes along that is too good to pass up.

Also planning a flying all iclusive trip to Mexico so, I imagine doing manuals would assuage my fears of being in a foreign country and having any problems with the machine.

So glad I posted the question and thanks all for your help.

Joannie

Archived