White Pass Train

Murphey

Yes, you could book via internet(whitepassrailroad.com) I went to web-site, booked (it doesn't ask for credit card or anything) and received an e-mail with payment information. However, according to the e-mail , it's only slightly more to book via cruise ship and then you will get on train right off the ship. If you book yourself, you need to walk approx 1/2 mile to train station. Not a big deal either way. This is part of e-mail from White Pass Train: "If you plan to arrive Skagway via cruise ship, the following information will be helpful to you:
As you may know, each cruise ship that docks in Skagway charters a train for it's own passengers for the entire day. The cruise ship's chartered train will go on to the dock to meet your ship pier-side, and is scheduled in accordance with the cruise ship's arrival and departure times. For these reasons, we highly recommend that you book directly through your cruise line. (Most cruise lines offer pre-booking for shore excursions; please contact them for more information).
Booking independently through our office means you will pass the chartered train to come in to town, collect your tickets and board a separate train. (The distance to town is usually about ½ mile, depending on where your ship is docked). The quality of the Summit Excursion Tour is identical whether you book with us or with your ship. The surcharge for booking with your cruise line is about $5 per adult ticket (depending on which cruise line you are traveling with). This extra fee is for the convenience of boarding the train next to your ship, as well as seats reserved in advance for you by your cruise line"

IMHO only this is one tour better booked off ship.. not bec you don't want to walk the 1/2 mile but because it's just convenient. Get out a few minutes early, get seat on the left side.. not that I know it's ever happened but if there is a delay the ship will wait for you.. many times the independent bookings are for later day trains.. if there was a problem you'd be left. There is absolutely no difference in what you see, where you go etc.

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea...[/B]</font> [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

The distance makes no difference. You hopefully will be going into Skagway anyway?? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The mark up for this is low compared with some tours. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] If going in the pm hopefully head to the Park Service visitor center for some more background that will greatly enhance your later train trip.

Yes, thanks to the "experts". The info I posted was purely from reading forums and emailing the vendor. I'm so excited for our first cruise/first trip to Alaska that I'm becoming obsessed with all the information out there!

89 days and counting!

Archived