21 November 07 Legend Central America

SandyK1968

We've booked on the Legend departing FL to Caldera. I've read that the weather can be unpredictable in late Nov/early December in the Costa Rica/Panama canal region.

Though a little early to start packing (undertstatement of the century!), it would be good to know what to expect and, indeed, to hear from anyone who is planning the same trip, or anyone who has done it before and has any recommendations.

Thanks!

SandyK1968,

In November 2004, I did the B2B crossing and Panama Canal cruise and had a blast! The sea was calm from Tenerife to Puerto Caldera. For the PC cruise the daytime temperatures were in the mid 80's (about 30°C) with balmy, humid evenings. Since most of your port calls are near and have excursions to a rain forest, expect some daytime showers. There was some precipitation one or two nights.

For shore side wear, cotton shorts and tee or other lightweight cotton shirt with sensible rubber soled shoes for exploring are ideal. If you are a "mosquito magnet" or are prone to insect bites, then light-weight cotton full-length pants would be in order (bring your own insect repellent just in case). A light cotton jacket in case you experience rain (always short in duration) and a hat for shade protection are a must.

About 3 months before sailing, you will receive the preliminary cruise documentation booklet. This contains, amongst other things, detailed shore excursion information and prices. There were many offerings with different excitement levels! Two standout tours for me were the rain forest canopy tour in Puerto Moin where we were on a open-air tram with a naturalist going through the rain forest at ground, in the trees and above the canopy level. Since it is a tram, people were getting on and off at the base so we would go for a bit and then stop. While stopped above the forest canopy, we could see several species of birds flying, monkeys jumping and swinging from tree to tree. I asked the naturalist if we were quiet as church-mouses could we hear the forest better. She said yes and when we did the forest below came alive with wonderful sounds! Birds, howler monkeys. It was awesome! :D

The other excursion was the ocean by outrigger canoe on Puerto Quepos. We drove to a rather remote bay and paddled 1.5 miles to a beach only accessible from the sea, snorkeled, had lunch, sunbathed for awhile and then paddled back to the launch point. It was great! The only thing missing was a waterproof sound system playing the theme song from the "Hawaii Five - 0" TV series as we paddled along. :p You will have a grand time on this cruise!

Bon Voyage and calm seas, blue skies and gentle breezes in search of adventure! :D

We did this cruise last year and thoroughly enjoyed it all. The weather was cold in Miami (unseasonably so) and didn't really warm up till a couple of days into the cruise. Also, the first couple of days were pretty rocky with some fairly big seas (not at all unusual for that area apparently).

We arranged some tours ourselves, in Roatan (with Cinthia and Dianne) where we went on our own selected zip line and then snorkelled from various sites off the island. Also in Panama City where we wanted to visit the Miraflores locks and the old city, with Judy Tovar from easytravelpanama.net who was extremely professional and knowledgable and we would thoroughly recommend. We also really enjoyed the ships tour to Granada in Nicaragua.

if you have any other specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask,

Roz

Thank you so much, both, for taking the time to respond.

The other question (though not one that I like to think of at this stage) is flying home from San Jose.

Can you give me an idea of transfer time from Caldera to San Jose? I don't seem to be able to get a clear indication from the http://www.... some websites indicate that it's over 100 miles, others, some 45 miles and I need to know how early a flight I can book.

The excursions sound fascinating but I am most looking forward to swimming with dolphins in Roatan. Should put a smile on my face for the next century or so..

Have a great weekend.

I'd allow at least two hours transfer time from Caldera to San Jose. Figuring in time needed to check in before flight don't book anything till later in the afternoon if you're flying out that day.

Last Fall it took us a little over 2 hours by Mini bus San Jose to Caldera. Its an interesting drive--we were on transport arranged by Seabourn. I would allow plenty of time to catch a flight--the San Jose airport is not bad, but not modern. I think security will be fairly quick--not like the large airports. Have a great cruise! Don

Just a couple of additions

re the transfer Caldera to airport - just be aware that there is only one road across a mountain range at one point. the later bus from Seabourn (those people who bought transfers on board but were not on Seabourn air arrangements) was delayed due to an accident on this road and the people were lucky to make the earlier flight to Miami. we had plenty of time, only to find that our flight (the later one, as arranged by Seabourn) was delayed. This meant we only just made our connection in Miami (and I mean by minutes, our luggage arrived home 3 days later).

you don't actually get to swim with the dolphins on the Seabourn Roatan tour, just stand in the water with them in groups of around 8 people per dolphin. Swimming is completely separate and I'm not sure if the resort offers it on the days when cruise ships are in. worth checking ahead of time - I think its called Anthonys Key Resort? maybe you could arrange it separately - taxis were easy to get at the dock on the day we were there (although we were the only ship in, maybe worth checking on the ships whereabouts website to see).

hope this makes sense!

Roz

1. Do a zip line at least once - it's like nothing else in the world, and it's totally safe.

2. Read David McCullough's book "Path Between the Seas" first. It's long, it won a Pulitzer Prize (deservedly so) an will make your passage much more rewarding.

Have fun!

We did it last year!

Tex Is Right--the Book Will Make The Passage Much More Interesting--its A Thick One But Reads Like A Novel. I Just Noticed Your From Wales--my Grandparents Were Welch Coal Miners--tom Jones-- Richard Burton--me! Don

I can't help it Don......... how wonderful to have Richard Burton and Tom Jones as your grandparents! Lovely combination. And you turned out to be such a fine man as well! (oops, I hope this joke will make it through the day!).

Leaving San Jose airport by the way requires filling in forms, standing in line and paying tax. It was quite a hassle as I remember.

Marja

Marja is right about the departure tax and it requires some planning ahead to avoid some of the hassle. In 2004, there was a $26 per person airport departure tax that must be paid in EXACT CHANGE either US$ or in Colones the local currency. I can't remember if they would or would not accept credit cards for this departure tax; however, if credit cards were accepted, there was a hefty fee tacked on. Check with the Shore Excurision Manager onboard for the current dearture tax amount, payment options and plan accordingly.

The flight connections out of San Jose were not the best and many passengers had to overnight in San Jose. The trek from Puerto Caldera to San Jose in central Costa Rica is on a very curvy road in rugged terrain through a lush tropical rain forest - have yor camera handy as you will probably want to take a few snaps. Seabourn uses the San Jose Marriott, a lovely property that reminded me of the nereby coffee plantations and is located next to the airport. You will not hear jets taking off or landing at all hours of the day and night.

Seabourn's package rate for the hotel and transfers is a bit pricey IMHO. You can probably get a better rate online or with a TA so grab that. If you do not book the hotel through Seabourn, I recommmend purchasing a transfer onboard to get you from the ship to the hotel. The hotel offers free shuttle service to the airport - just let the Bell Captain know your flight number when you check in and he will tell you when to have your luggage ready, when you will depart for the airport and the Bellboys will collect your luggage from your room and load it on the shuttle van for you.

Thank you all so much for your tips and hints. Thank goodness I asked about transfer times or I think we would have missed our flight back to London.

It's amazing where the Welsh end up; for such a small country, our ancestors certainly got around. I have to say that we are not so adventurours, preferring to travel by Seabourn.

I will certainly take you up on the book recommendation...though I am disappointed that the Roatan dolphin experience may not be as advertised.

What a very helpful group of travellers you all are!

Sandy x

Archived