Hotels in Auckland and Sydney

We are taking the Sapphire Princess in March 2008. There will be 19 of us ranging in age from 3 to 85. We plan on spending 2 days before in Auckland and 2 days after in Sydney and I need some advise on where to stay in both cities. We'll end up needing a total of 7 rooms as some will be 3/4 to a room. Finances are a definite consideration for the hotel so spending $200 a night is out for some. How we get from the airport to the hotel and then to the ship (and of course the reverse in Sydney) is something we need to consider/plan as well. As you can imagine, with that number of people "jumping in a taxi" isn't usually an option so I try to plan as much as possible. Even just getting everyone to dinner can be a challenge! Any suggestions or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

We got The Rendevouz in Auckland for $170 NZD ($129 USD) which is $20 NZD less than their published rate just by begging (sort of) We will be occupying 3 rooms for 3 nights. Try e-mailing them directly.

we got a good deal on The Marriott Sydney Harbor through Priceline at $150 USD per night. Their published rate is about twice that.

Good luck in your search

We are taking the Sapphire Princess in March 2008. There will be 19 of us ranging in age from 3 to 85. We plan on spending 2 days before in Auckland and 2 days after in Sydney and I need some advise on where to stay in both cities. We'll end up needing a total of 7 rooms as some will be 3/4 to a room. Finances are a definite consideration for the hotel so spending $200 a night is out for some. How we get from the airport to the hotel and then to the ship (and of course the reverse in Sydney) is something we need to consider/plan as well. As you can imagine, with that number of people "jumping in a taxi" isn't usually an option so I try to plan as much as possible. Even just getting everyone to dinner can be a challenge! Any suggestions or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

I think the best thing for such a large group would be self-contained 2/3/4 bedroom apartments. They can be rented by the night. Check out this site to get acclimated. There are links for accommodation.

http://visitnsw.com/Destination.aspx?DProductID=9017195

One option would be the Meriton Hotels. They have 1, 2 & 3 bedroom units. They have a number of apartment buildings in Sydney....3 in the CBD. (There is a link on these boards somewhere, I'll try to locate it and post it for you.) There are a LOT of apartment hotels around Sydney.

The easiest in terms of transportation would be to stay right around the port....Circular Quay.....but it is also the most expensive. I don't have the link handy but google "Sydney Daytripper Pass" and see if you can get a link to that site.....lots of transportation options there.

Do a google search too for both Sydney and Auckland accommodations and you'll find a lot listed.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

(You will LOVE both Auckland and Sydney.)

Thanks Arizona Ralphie...I proposed/recommended that one to the group. It looks like a good choice. I had done a little research on that one the night before. How far is it from the airport and the ship and do they let you check in early or store your luggage, offer tours?

And OzLand! Wow... that's a cool alternative. I'll certainly check it out. Which one would be closest to the action - and by action I don't mean the night life. Scenery, the water, history, souvenir shopping, the sights are what we would want to see - the city. Are there shuttle services to the airport or will we need to take a taxi?

Sorry to ask so many questions but everyone will depend on me to figure it out so i have to have as many answers as I can get LOL. :D

Thanks Arizona Ralphie...I proposed/recommended that one to the group. It looks like a good choice. I had done a little research on that one the night before. How far is it from the airport and the ship and do they let you check in early or store your luggage, offer tours?:D

I'm assuming that you're talking about The Rendevouz? I have no idea of the proximity of the hotel to the ship or airport. I believe that the airport is a 45 minute drive from downtown Auckland and (don't quote me on this) that the ship is within walking distance. Don't know about the tours and stuff and I think most hotels would allow you to store your stuff if you arrive in the early AM.

You can download their brochure at

http://www.rendezvoushotels.com/auckland/

If you're talking about The Marriott Sydney Harbor, then "ditto" above.

Here's another site for you to check..... numbers 9, 12, & 14 on the map are the *closest* to the action. Right in the downtown area and within walking distance to the ferries, buses, trains, monorail. The others that are clustered close to those would be fine too.

http://www.apartments2book.com/sydney.htm

Check their sites for any info. on airport shuttles.....if not, there should be e-mail addresses and you could inquire that way.

Good luck in your search! Ask away if you have more questions. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we ended up booking the Rendevous - took Ralphie's advise and emailed the hotel directly - they knocked the price down to $170 plus GST. That is for 2 in a room. Add $50 for a third person and they don't have 4 to a room.

We did the upgrade to the Plaza club rooms. The view might be better, but I figure by the time we pay for breakfast outside the hotel it might just be worth the 2 included ones. Plus, although not guaranteed, they have us listed for a 9 am check in since our flight arrives at 7:00 am... ish. The location sounded great so it should work out great. Even with that, its half the price if booked through Princess since they charge per person.

Tired me out - all the emails back and forth (I had to do 7 rooms with different occupants in each room etc) so I haven't had the energy to do the Sydney hotel yet. I'll let you know what I come up with.

thanks to both for the advise/help.

Why don't you have a look at this hotel. It is in the centre of Sydney, in Park St and the rates are excellent. Around $109 per night per room. There are 21 rooms in the hotel and you could always contact them about a discount for a group booking.

The link to their site is www.hotelcoronation.com.au.

Good luck

Rplusr

Hmmm, thanks. It got good reviews on tripadvisor. Doesn't appear fancy but I never use the gym or pools anyway. Sent them an email to check out the rates (although they seem pretty darn reasonable). One of my challenges is I have 3 and 4 in some rooms and that doesn't always work for hotels. BUT at those prices we can almost mix and match them into their own rooms. :)

Archived