QM2 - Looking for alternatives as wonderful (is it possible?)

NYC123

We crossed on the QM2 this past May. We were not big cruise people before, but we fell in love with the QM2 and want to do more...Question for you all: What other cruise lines / ships do you recommend? Would like to be able to leave from NYC, but it's not a deal breaker. What we appreciated most about the QM2 was the excellent service (Princess Grill) and dignified atmosphere. In other words, we are looking for "quiet" ships, if you will. Thanks for your feedback.

I share your joy with the QM2. But a very close second is the wonderful Holland America Line. Very layed back, quiet and great service. Food a very close second to the QM2. We loved the Volendam and enjoyed the Westerdam! Try HAL's Deluxe Balcony Suite. Holland America sails out of NYC. Indeed check out Holland America it's a very close second to Cunard's QM2.

David

I too second Holland America Line. This line too tends to offer cruise ships with a bit of classy decor (artwork and fresh flowers about) and a feel for the older days of oceanic travel. HAL is far from being a party or adventure line and the line has an extensive network of cruises. Yes, it also does have some service operating out of NYC.

HAL has the best beds on the seas and the line just finished an extensive overhaul of its amenities under the "Signature of Excellence" branding.

Cunard has the history and better food but I would put HAL down as a second choice without much thought.

David

Ditto about Holland America--subdued ambiance and excellent service, and their beds are the most comfortable I've slept in at sea (although I haven't been on Cunard yet). Shoot for a longer itinerary for maximum quietude.

Archived