Review of the Royal Princess Holyland Cruise

lindaann

Thanks Linda,

We couldn't decide which hotel we were going to stay at in Athens. We had considered the Electra, but I think we will use it as well. When we were in Rome last year, we stayed at a horrible hotel, not far from the train station, so I appreciate your recommendation. I know the Euro is killing all of us. There is not so much difference between the Canadian and American dollare these days.

Sorry to hear about your luggage. Just talked to someone else off a Med. cruise, and some passengers, did not have their luggage for 6 days.....:( .

I am going to rethink my carry-on.

Thanks again,

lesley

what a fantastic review ! :) We're about to go on our first cruise in Sept to islands off of Queensland (which to me as a first timer was enough of a challenge !) Wow !! Egypt, Jeruselum.....I think when I've conquered Vanuatu and Noumea I'm definitely heading further afield ! :D

Hi Everyone,

My husband has asked me to clarify a few things for you. The only time we absolutely needed Egyptian pounds or Israeli shekles was for admittance to government run institutions such as museums or historical sites. Our guides paid for most entrance fees and would have paid for us if we didn't have the local currency where needed. We would have just given them US or Euros in exchange. He also wanted me to say that ATMs are ubiquitous. Just remember that you will end up with the local currency if you use them. We stopped using traveller's checks this trip altogether. The last trip we used them we could only exchange them in a bank with our passports as identification. It became an unnecessary hassle when you only have a short time in a port.

As far as the Nile cruises go, it would have been nice if we had time. I believe that one of the ship's tours did a breakfast cruise on the Nile. We spoke to one couple who enjoyed the experience. If you are arranging a private tour you could certainly include it. Unfortunately there is so much to do in such little time in Egypt you have to pick and choose.

Linda

Hi Linda & everyone on the 1 June cruise

You mentioned that you did an overnight with DeCastro Tours in Egypt, did you inform Princess that you will not be back to the ship for the night in Port Said and that you will be joining the ship in Alexandria.

From your review, you mentioned that there were 2 lobster nights and one king crab night. Can you remember which were the days that these were served, so that I will not arrange for speciality dining on those days.

Sandy

From your review, you mentioned that there were 2 lobster nights and one king crab night. Can you remember which were the days that these were served, so that I will not arrange for speciality dining on those days.

Sandy

Do they have specialty dining on Royal Princess? Sabatini's?

I wasn't sure they would have it on a small ship.

Hi Everyone,

I am very happy to answer any and all questions. I have just finished putting my photo albums together and am totally depressed.

The hotel in Athens was The Electra, not the Palace or the Tulip. Fantastic location, very good hotel. I would totally recommend it.

Yes there are specialty restaurants. Didn't use them. I believe but am not a hundred per cent sure that they might have alternated between Sterlings and Sabatinis.

The first lobster night was the first sea day. The secon lobster night was the second sea day and the king crab legs were the third sea day.

As far as staying overnight in either Israel or Egypt you should request a deviation from Princess which our travel agent did. Once we were on board we took the form that had been sent to us to the purser's desk. The staff asked me for the information as to where we were staying etc. for emergency purposes. I guess they don't want to hold the ship for people who are not showing up.

Linda

On our recent Med cruise on Royal, they alternated between Sabatinis and Sterling's. Folks guessed that there was not enough business to fill both at same time.

On our recent Med cruise on Royal, they alternated between Sabatinis and Sterling's. Folks guessed that there was not enough business to fill both at same time.

We were on the Pacific Princess last September/October and it's actually a staffing issue. With a smaller ship you also have a smaller staff and they really can't open and properly run both restaurants at the same time (as well as running the main dining room and the Horizon Court). I think running them on alternate nights is a reasonable solution. We did eat at Sterling's but passed on Sabatini's. Sterling's on the PP was fine but not great.

We are getting ready to confirm our overnight tour with DeCastro tours. Moustafa has requested a bank transfer of 1/2 to secure the reservation. We have hired many private guides in many places, including Russia, but never had to send a bank transfer before. We were surprised by this! Did you do this also? Maureen

Dear Maureen,

Yes, we had to do the bank transfer. Like you this was a first for private tours and we were a little nervous about it but it turned out just fine. You will also love it when after the transfer has gone through and I believe it took several weeks, you then need to send your passport numbers to DeCastro Tours. Apparently this is standard for booking a hotel in some countries.

The only other private tour we had to give a deposit to was one last year when we were on the Golden and we hired someone in Lisbon. On that occasion I had to transfer money through paypal. Other than this we have never had to give a deposit. I have been always amazed and delighted at the level of trust that goes both ways in booking an independent tour. Don't you have to give a deposit to the cruise company if you are booking one of their excursions?

That being said I cannot recommend this tour company highly enough. You will have a great experience.

Linda

Completely agree with LindaAnn. I was also on the ship and loved every minute of the cruise. I would say the food was ok -breakfast was adequate. Dinner presentation was better than the taste. However, the ports and the fellow passengers is what made the cruise!

We were also on deck 7 great location!!!

I was surprised at first by the small size of our balcony cabin, but it worked out fine. We used the desk drawers and all of the shelves under the TV and for 2 ladies with lots of clothes - we had plenty of space. Stored our bags under the beds which helped tremendously.

Yes, bring a shawl for all of the religious places. It is very humid, so dress lightly and always have a water with you. The ship is so lovely and after touring all day and arriving back hot and sweaty, you want to freshen up with a nice dress for dinner and feel like a lady again.

Was very sad when the cruise ended....could have stayed on the ship another 2 weeks...would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a truly special trip! This was our 7th cruise and by far the most interesting and exciting.

Now need ideas for our next cruise - any one have thoughts on the Panama Canal?

Thanks ever so much for your review, Linda.

Pacific Princess is doing this itinerary next year, and we're booked on the Sept 5th sailing as the first part of a back-to-back with the second half doing the Crimean-Aegean coast itinerary, from Athens to Rome.

There are so many ports on these two sailings that we've never had a chance to visit before, can't wait for the 15 months to go by.

I would think that September has a bit cooler temperatures.. might make a few of the ports a bit more bearable.

Gary

Gary,

We seem to be following each other around. We are on the Sydney to SFO cruise with you in April 2009, and will be following you by a month to the Holy Land. We are on the October 11 cruise. Looking forward to both so much.

Ginny

We are sailing with a group of 14 on the Holy Land tour on the Royal Princess Sept 5, 2007. It was wonderful to read your reveiw. We are seasoned cruisers but were a little concerned with the small ship size. Sounds like you had a great time.

Thanks,

Brenda

I have a quick question - is the buffet open for dinner on the Royal? We're booked for next summer and will have to cancel if the buffet is closed for dinner since we never go to the dining room. I read on another thread that the buffet is closed for dinner, but I'm double checking.

Thanks,

Susan

Thanks for the great review Linda

did you use the library service at all

if so did they have a good range of books thanks joybelles

My wife, who a reader, tells me the library on the Royal is "amazingly" well stocked.

Stan

I have a quick question - is the buffet open for dinner on the Royal? We're booked for next summer and will have to cancel if the buffet is closed for dinner since we never go to the dining room. I read on another thread that the buffet is closed for dinner, but I'm double checking.

Thanks,

Susan

Yes, the buffet is open for dinner, just like all other Princess ships.

Lesley (Ottawa 204) I just checked the EUR/CAD rate. It was 1.43, the best it's been since 2002. We have paid as much as 1.65. We are faring much better than the Americans due to our strong dollar. Say what you want about Paul Martin, but he was a helluva Finance Minister. Our debt to GDP ratio is one of the lowest in the world, thanks to him, and that's the reason our dollar is so strong, even against a very strong Euro.

Jacques, J'ai souvent rencontre des francophones lors de mes croisieres sur la Mediterrannee. Avec regrets pour mon clavier anglophone: je n'ai pas pu mettre les accents:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Linda:

Did you have to make your own arrangements for visas in Egypt or did Princess handle that? There was some confusion on other threads that Princess would only handle visas for their overnight cruise tours but that passengers making their own private tour arrangements needed to get their own visas?

Also I did request deviation approval for Egypt and received telephonic approval. Was I also to receive a form to give to the purser's desk?

Thanks,

Jim

Archived