gifts for boys

We are taking a 15 day cruise in the med in 2 weeks. For my two girls (12 and 7) we are buying them a charm bracelet and a charm in each of our ports... this is something that they will always have.

I am having a hard time coming up with something for our soon to be 11 year old son. I want something of a similar caliber (a keepsake) and not the typical tshirts that will become outgrown and eventual garbage.

Anyone have ideas?

Lizabeth

I have an 11 year old son and we were on Millie, June 26th Barcelona to Venice. We bought him an Italian charm bracelet and yes you will be able to purchase charms in Italy. Boys are wearing these charm bracelets and they can be geared toward sports and flags of various countries. I believe a company called Nomination hasa a web site and you will be able to preview a sampling. Just a thought... Most souvenier stands also sell pins that can be attached to a hat. What fun! I hope you have a special, memorable cruise.

Jakob"s Mom

Well, I just read the charm bracelet idea to my almost 13 year old and he says "No way!!!!" He isn't interested in the pins either (he says no way he'd pin them to his hat). In some ways it's easy to be a "boy" Mom and in other ways it can be difficult to say the least!!! :p We did buy him pens in each port ...they are really fun with moving things inside...for instance, one of the Coliseum has a charriot that goes forward and backward...you can find these everywhere and it's fun to keep them by your computer to think of your trip!!!!

I do think that at 11, he might still like things that the "terrible teens" don't find "bad!":rolleyes: Soccer jerseys from different countries are always a hit (but expensive) and if you buy them large, they can keep them for MANY years to come.

To tell you the truth, I'd probably give him money.:(

How about coins? Collecting coins might be something not "against a boy's dignity" and they will last. In every country you should be able to get some special ones e.g. silver or commermorative, maybe even in the currency used before the Euro.

coins and pins are both good ideas.

semetz, I know the type of bracelet you are talking about, but I doubt he would wear one.

He would, however wear a fishing type hat with pins on it. David has one that is a speedo hat he got at the US Olympic Swim trial with olympic pins on it. So he might like that.

Starting a foreign coin collection is also a very good idea. I might just have to do both!

Thanks so much.

My son has a euro coin collection (you can buy the books to fill up different Euros from different countries....similar to the US quarters collection) We also bought him a nice pocket watch in one of the ports as a memory of his trip. My older son has a key chain collection from each port and my husband gets baseball caps or t-shirts from each port.

Cristin

My sons liked the authentic soccer shirts from Italy. The aren't cheap, but they do last. In Monaco, we bought t- shirts from the Grand prix store (there's only one that I know of). I have always had a difficult time buying gifts for my sons.

My sons liked the authentic soccer shirts from Italy. The aren't cheap, but they do last. In Monaco, we bought t- shirts from the Grand prix store (there's only one that I know of). I have always had a difficult time buying gifts for my sons.

I absolutely agree!!!

I bought "Roma" shirt for my 12 years old and he was happy. There are also cheaper replicas (7 Eu per shirt) although they don't live long ;) .

I also bought Grand Prix Cap in Monaco.

I might have my days mixed, but aren't you on the Zuideram soon???! Bon Voyage to you (if this is correct!:confused: ). Thanks for all your great posts! I'm interested in the "Zui" so will look for your comments! By the way, are you taking your 12 year old? Have a great one!

Nanette

packerpatriot, where would I find the coin books? we have a state quarter book and I know he would enjoy one with euros in it. are there different ones for different countries? I thought euros were the same everywhere.

lizabeth

Only the front sides of the Euro coins are the same. The back sides are different from country to country. They display eg. the Queen of the country or some important building or a national symbol. In some countries different denominations have different backsides.

Nevertheless all can be used in every of the Euro countries.

Bills are everywhere the same.

Note: Some Euro coins you will have to buy from vendors, especially those from smaller countries and those countries which are not officially part of the Eurozone and not even of the EU but are allowed to issue Euro coins like Monaco and the Vatican. These are very expensive.

The collecting books are sold all over Europe.

Archived