What to do in Grand Turk?

Thanks Host Caroline. It's nice to see the boards being monitored, but I believe we resolved this 5 days ago.

I would be interested to hear about things to do that are not beach related. I myself would love a fresh water pool or just lounging at the beach for a little while, but what about the rest of the time? Things to see and do that do not require the beach or water. Sight seeing, excursions, shopping, anything. Some times you meet up with people on the ship that are not too enthusiastic about the beach scene but would still love to hang out on the island. As I am travelling solo on my next trip, I'd really like to go prepared with some ideas for nonbeach activities as well.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Pillory is now Bohio resort.

That is where I will be going!

Hi Renata,

Just wondering if you made it to Bohio - and if you enjoyed it! I was hoping to head their on my upcoming cruise and would love any feedback you might have!

Thanks,

Froufie

P.S. Hi Chris!!!;)

• 2 weeks later...

It's a small beach bar just to the left of the ship's dock. Drinks are very reasonably priced with friendly service, laid back and comfortable atmosphere to hang out on the beach and relax. You can also rent small boats, go snorkeling and hunt for Conche Shells.

I Hightly Recommend it!!

Juanita

It's a small beach bar just to the left of the ship's dock. Drinks are very reasonably priced with friendly service, laid back and comfortable atmosphere to hang out on the beach and relax. You can also rent small boats, go snorkeling and hunt for Conche Shells.

I Hightly Recommend it!!

Juanita

Thanks for the info....I'll be there in about 6 weeks :)

When you say to the "left", is that as you come off the ship?

The Grand Turk Inn is a very special place.....check out the web site...this is an adults only day that you will never forget....it is not a party place, but a wonderful historic inn that has been lovingly cared for by two well traveled, international ladies....Sandy will provide you with the use of the Inn, beach equipment and a wonderful lunch or dessert buffet depending on what time of day your ship is arriving....I am actually the original person who contacted Sandy a couple of years ago and started this event.,....contact her at the Inn, gather a group of your adult cruisers on your board and be prepared to have an unforgetable day.....we will be there again at the end of August on the Crown and I will have a group with me...we actually book our cruises to include Grand Turk just to go to the Inn... I have never had anyone disappointed by their day there....be sure to tell Sandy that Donna sent you, that you read this on Cruise critic...tell her I'm on my way.....;)

I did not see any information on the site about a day rate only for the suites. How much was it approximately for an afternoon there and what did that include? Thanks so much for any information :)

We just inquired regarding daypass/lunch prices - $40pp plus tax (??) that gets you the use of a shared day room (living room only), outdoor showers and bath facilities, lunch (nonalcoholic drinks) and use of the beach w/floaties provided across the street. Cabfare is $5pp there. Happy Sailing!

• 3 weeks later...
try Grand Turk Inn for the day...they have day cruise packages. Quiet. nice beach. EXCELLENT lunch provided. (and tell Sandy we said "hi"). You will not be disappointed. They have restored a beautiful inn, and the patio area is so relaxing and charming...I could have spent the entire day there! (but we enjoyed the beach across from the inn...all to ourselves...on floats provided by the inn!).

Or, when you walk off the pier, head RIGHT down the beach. You will see all kinds of shells. don't stop right away. Keep walking and you will eventually come to a wonderful beach covered in shells. Enjoy!

I just went to their site and there didn't seem to be a restaurant attached to the Inn at all! How was the EXCELLENT lunch provided?

I just went to their site and there didn't seem to be a restaurant attached to the Inn at all! How was the EXCELLENT lunch provided?
We took a cab from the boat to the Inn I think it was $10, we had Lobster and avocado salad, then pan fried snapper with rice and peas, I dont remember how much it cost, but after the food on the triumph I would have payed anything, we got the lady to make us up some food to take back to the ship, put it in the mini fridge and ate it on the balcony the next day, the best meal we had on that ship. regards

Please note - Grand Turk Inn does not serve Lobster with Avocado etc.

Writer is confused and obviously ate at another establishment.

casasle

Does anyone have any idea what Inn the writer is talking about?

And if not, what hotel/inn would they recommend for a nice relaxing morning on Grand Turk? I fear Margaritaville is not for me.

And if not, what hotel/inn would they recommend for a nice relaxing morning on Grand Turk? I fear Margaritaville is not for me.

It was an English colonial style bldg set back on the right hand side of the road, tables in the front garden you walk through the entrance to a bar, were we placed our order with a lady chef I think from south africa, we discussed the salad dressing we wanted with a greek salad that I forgot to mention that we shared, with the fish course, we walked through to a large room with various tables and chairs and ate for our first course lobster and avacado salad, I thought that was the name but I may be wrong , I was starving and in a hurry to eat, hope you will find it from my discription. Regards

Thank you so much. It was kind of you to come back to reply. The funny thing is I now remember that our ship sails at 2PM so lunch may be out of the question ashore. I would love to go to someplace other than Margaritaville for the beach and I still think a bicycle tour would be a fun way to see some of the island.

I believe if you read it, it say the Grand Turk Inn. I have read where they do lunches for prearranged cruise ship groups, but she is advising that they do not serve the avacado/lobster lunch, it is another inn, not the Grand Turk Inn

I believe if you read it, it say the Grand Turk Inn. I have read where they do lunches for prearranged cruise ship groups, but she is advising that they do not serve the avacado/lobster lunch, it is another inn, not the Grand Turk Inn

I actually went to their website and there is nada about lunch at all. To be honest, it didn't look all that hotsie totsie to me.

We are Brits, and I have lived in the Carrib, my Wife worked on Lines in the Carrib, we use to subscribe to the view that the "best island in the Carrib had propellors and a captain" then we sailed on the Triumph.

Turks and Caicos still has the remnants of our colonial footprint, a splendid police station, Govs house complete with pics of Queen Madge,and poverty. I did ask which was the last royal to visit, it was Charlie the one with the big ears who married the cammel.

I tried to find the bill so I could put a name to this oasis, but alas I think I ate it on the last day at sea to gain some nutrition.

I think to utter Triumph and class in the same sentence is a bit gauche, like say Margeritaville, Chin Chin

Agree 100% .. if you want to debate/clarify or otherwise discuss or correct someone's opinion of or classification of the various Carnival ships... there's a board dedicated to Carnival Cruise Lines.. The debate that 'was' on here had absolutely NOTHING:rolleyes: :confused: to do with the OP's question... I will leave this thread open for now but if no one has any constructive comments re Grand Turk... how 'bout just putting it on "IGNORE".

As an aside we were there on honeymoon and did Carnival's dune buggy excursion and loved it... don't usually do ship tours but this was fab and the couple with us agreed. And we like Margaritavaille but then we have a Margaritaville deck soon to become a Margaritaville game room when we move into our new, deckless house...

I am jealous, if I had that I dont think I would leave the house, what point would there be cruising, oh sorry Carlos & Charlies, regards

Very funny! So the Triumph was that bad? I have about as much interest in a Carnival cruise as a I do in a triple bypass. I've been to something like 23 Caribbean islands and, excuse me for saying so, but the ones I really like are all the French islands. I think most of the last outposts of the British Empire have natives with attitudes so bleak, I never feel comfortable there. Also, they are incredible homophobes and as a gay guy, I don't even feel safe. I think Turks sounds like a great day to stay aboard ship. Thanks for your input

Nyc it is a fact, that in the UK we have given asylum to gays from Jamaica, this my wife and I are very proud of.

You and I know the route cause of this disgusting Homophobia the big R

Why we were on the Triumph it fitted into our plans and we were warned, but we thought we would be ok with the cat11 bolt hole.

We had sailed on the rcl nav in jan, that was ok the food was the usual cruise standard, but nothing prepared us for the food on that ship.

French island, good bread the start of any good meal.

Labadee though the stench of expliotation was to much lasted ten mins.

Keep safe regards

I must confess never having been to Labadee. I meant Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Martin and most especially St. Barths where we've rented a house for 10 days every winter for 17 years. But must away the Cruise Critic police are hard on our tails for criticizing Carnival which seems like a very easy mark from what you say. All best.

NYC I understand, I to have to fly my wife has to prepare me for a visit to my Proctologist, it is now nearly a month since I ate one piece of Prime Rib on that ship, let me set the scene it was Formal Night, music started playing people jump on tables, waiters dressed like Brazilian transvestites at the carnival in Rio jumped on tables as well, and all of them started doing this formation dance, I coughed swallowed the peace of rubber I mean "meat", before I could spit it out, bingo my procto has been trying to remove it since we returned to the UK, triple bypass childs play.

We wish you a good break in your winter home, we will be at our sea house on the Croatian Island of Hvar. the weather will not be as kind as for you, but it is very civilised .May we wish you and your partner a Happy Solstice

OK, well, back to Grand Turk...

If we have the misfortune to arrive in Grand Turk via a Carnvial ship :rolleyes:

must we book excursions through the cruise line only?

In the past, I've booked my excursions that way, but since I've discovered these boards, I now know that it isn't a requirement. I have planned my excursions in Nassau, St. Thomas, and San Juan through independent operators, but I'm not sure what to do in Grand Turk.

We did the Horseback Ride-and-Swim on our past two visits and really enjoyed it, but it doesn't show up as an option (not sure why; we're in port for 7 hours and it is a 2-1/2 hour excursion).

We don't dive, but we did the Gibbs Cay snorkel and stingray excursion last time as well. For some reason, they brought us back to just off Grand Turk for the snorkeling, rather than where that portion of the excursion usually takes place. Unfortunately, they couldn't get a pair of fins that fit me very well and I kept losing them. Spent most of my time back on the boat trying to get fitted properly. :(

Not in the least interested in Margaritaville! Stopped for a drink during our 1st visit and while the drink had plenty of tequila in it, the price was insane. Not at all interested in the zoo at the pool, either.

Can anyone direct me to a website that may have alternatives to the usual Carnival-associated excursions?

Thanks.

Just back from the Carnival Triumph sailing of 9/29/07. Our last stop was Grand Turk. I must admit, the rest of the itinerary was great, but Grand Turk could have been skipped. Grand Turk is very flat and not very populated. I found nothing to be impressed with. Other than the prefab shopping buildings and the salt mines, there is nothing there. Although the weather did not cooperate with us, it was still hard to find something nice about this place. The beach sand was coarse and rough, unlike Half Moon Cay where it was powdery and soft. The water was rocky, so better bring those water shoes if you plan on going to the beach. Margarittaville is a joke. Extremely expensive drinks and a pool. A few people I know went to Bohio Resort. They said it was a nice place for the day. I can't speak to it as I did not go. Spent the day on the ship and just relaxed.

With Grand Turk being "new" to the cruise ships, there just isn't much available, outside of diving. The Gibbs Cay is available through the ship, and is actually cheaper.

$69 pp for a beach excursion plus $5 taxi pp each way sounds really expensive, even though it includes lunch and a drink.

I'm just going to wait and see if they add a bunch of excursions closer to sailing date. They added several last year and I ended up changing all mine the night before they closed.

If not, it may end up being a beach day. Can't really go wrong with lounging around and swimming, really.

Archived