Authentic English Pub

renata102

Hi Delaney,

I would say that the Majesty was a mixed bag for us. It was our third cruise, second on NCL (first was the Dream which will be taking over the Boston-Bermuda run in 2008). Embarkation and debarkation were quick and painless. The cabin (Superior OV) was fine for two people and our cabin attendants kept it spotless and changed out the towels twice a day. We had no problem being seated for dinner any night, and never waited for more than 5 minutes for a table. We ate once at Le Bistro (so-so) and twice at the Pasta Cafe (good). The ship is well-laid out for one that has been stretched. There are a lot of public places to sit and watch the sea, and there's a lot of covered outdoor seating for eating after you get your buffet beakfast or lunch. The coffee is good, the staff is very courteous and hard-working. We especially liked a drink in the Polo Club and Christine is a very nice waitress there. DH liked playing a little blackjack (his first time) while I got a window seat on Deck 5 and read my book. We don't go to the shows so I'm not much help there but the deck games were fun to watch.

Now the negatives: we felt the service in the main dining rooms was rushed and sloppy. The food is good but the staff is running all over the place, slapping the plates in front of you and sloshing the drinks. They seem very short-handed in there. The food was always served at the appropriate temperature and quickly, but I found it far from relaxing. The atmosphere in the Pasta Cafe is much more relaxed plus you have a beautiful view. This needs to be reserved no more than 8 hours before you plan to eat but there's no up-charge.

Bermuda was great. We bought the three day transportation pass for $28 pp and that covers unlimited bus and ferry rides. The first day we took the bus to Clearwater Beach and it was almost deserted. We also went to Fort St. Catherine (walking distance from the ship)and found it interesting. Day 2 we took the ferry to Hamilton and shopped for a bit and had lunch at the Hog Penny (very good.) I had booked a snorkel trip wth Jessie James ($69 pp) and we loved it. We went to a little island, two shipwrecks and an undersea coral garden. Back to Hamilton for a beer and then back to St George's on the ferry. Day 3 we went to the Royal Dockyards and toured the Maritime Museum, a beer at the Frog & Onion, to Hamilton on the ferry for more shopping and lunch at the Bistro (fish stew and the ploughman's panini for me, stew and steak and kidney pie for DH) with our Dine Ashore Vouchers. Friday mornin we had a nice walk around St George's and then toured the Tucker House museum. We ate dinner on the ship every night.

It's an older ship and a smaller ship. We met many people who have done this cruise more than 5 times and loved it, and we met some who loathed the ship. It all depends on what you like. The dining room service annoyed me but we met a lot of very nice people and had fun so there you go. We would go again next summer if the price was right.

If I haven't answered any questions you have, let me know and I'll try to help.

Barb

Archived