Authentic English Pub

renata102

Help me find an authentic English Pub. Before anyone says the Swizzle INN... remember they now have two locations that equals commercialized business.

I am big on very authentic very local pubs. I live minutes from NYC and love exploring interesting restaurants and bars. no chains or the like. Since Bermuda was English rules I wanted the flavor of it so to speak.

Anyone out there can tell me of an awesome pub with local english fare, dark wood and anything english.....

what has been your experience.

Help me find an authentic English Pub. Before anyone says the Swizzle INN... remember they now have two locations that equals commercialized business.

Wow, I never knew that authentic English Pubs weren't concerned with making a profit! Learn something new every day!

;)

Theron

I would not call White Horse an authentic British Pub. The Hog Penny is a British Pub.

I agree, the Hog Penny is the closest to an authenic English Pub that you are going to find in Bermuda. It has authenic ales such as Bass, White Horse etc. Even though Bermuda is British, there are not the public pubs on seemingly every corner as in London.

Just another thought...

I speak with absolutely no authority on authentic British pubs... But I will say that I did walk by the Hog & Penny several times during my recent visit, it happens to be very close to the cheapest internet cafe I could find in Hamilton... (16.6 cents per minute in blocks of 30 minutes.)

It's in the middle of a downtown city block! It's just like any other city store-front you might find in DC or NYC. Perhaps inside you are instantly transformed to the traditional setting, but from the outside, you would never have a clue that that is what you will find inside.

FWIW...

Theron

Well you would find a lot of ex pat brits in that pub on Friday night!!

I know ,because for 18 years I was one of them!

Cheers!

This is the beauty of a place like Cruise Critic... if I were looking for a pub, I wouldn't have given it a second glance, judging from the outside appearance!

:o

Theron

When we were docked in Hamilton 2 years ago, my husband and I spent several hours in the Hog Penny chatting it up with a couple of locals! We didn't eat there but I can tell you the beer, atmosphere, and company were all great. It is one of our foundest memories from that trip:)

• 2 weeks later...
It's in the middle of a downtown city block! It's just like any other city store-front you might find in DC or NYC. Perhaps inside you are instantly transformed to the traditional setting, but from the outside, you would never have a clue that that is what you will find inside.

Ok, I've finally finished my photo album from my May cruise to Bermuda... and I took a picture of Burnaby Street from the Empress as we arrived.

If you look half way up the first block, the Hog and Penny is under the first (very dark) blue awning you see on the left side of the street. :)

Theron

When I went to bed the other night my wife had fallen asleep with the Food Channel on and Rachel Rae was doing a show on Bermuda and her claim (or that of whom she had spoken to) that The Hog Penny was the most authentic pub on the island. I plan on stopping by for atleast a couple of pints while there in August!

Hi again, Renata!

Thought I would post a note here, too, since we will be traveling with you on 7/14! :D In any case, although I am a native New Yorker, my DH Tim is a Brit, and it is our recollection that Hog Penny is as authentic as it gets in terms of British Pubs in Bermuda (much more so than Frog and Onion at King's Wharf). It gets our vote here! :) BTW, if you want another authentic British experience, try afternoon tea at the Lighthouse, and ask for a "cream tea" including English tea, scones, jam and clotted cream. That really takes us back to our early married years living in London. I think you'd enjoy it, too. ;)

See you soon!

having spent quite a bit of time on barstools in pubs in england and being from bermuda i would say hog penny on burnaby in hamilton and the somerset country squire in somerset village are about as close to an english pub as you're gonna get in bermuda. i would say hp edges scq out cos it's got that sort of english looking roof on it.

Nice pub. Good food, atmosphere, and drinks. A plus is that if you are docked in Hamilton it is just a short stumble back to your ship.

Oh cool! It's walkable? That scores big points in my book. I don't want DH drinking and then getting on the moped. :eek: So that woul dbe the only drink we had off the ship.

TP Keller thanks so much for the pictures. We will be on our 10th Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Norwegian Majesty on Sept 30 and after looking at your pictures it can't come soon enough. We will eat lunch one day at Hog Penny.

Here we go... I added a marker to my Hamilton Map. :)

Click on the marker, or the "Hog and Penny" link below the map, then click on the ">3" zoom text and you'll see exactly where it is, even the blue awning seems to be there!

Theron

delaney, When you said that it was not as good as The Swizzle Inn did you mean the Rum Swizzle or the establishment in general? My wife and I are sailing The Majesty to Bermuda on Aug 26th and had The Hog Penny on our list of places to visit while we were there.

Archived