Most Recent CDC Inspections of Voyager Class Ships

Do the results of CDC Ship Inpections Matter?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Do the results of CDC Ship Inpections Matter?

On the most recent CDC Inspection of ********* of the Seas, some disturbing conditions were found, among them: I will follow this report with several other ships' reports, note the similar problems...why doesn't RCCL see this correlation and correct the problems?

*THE ICE MACHINE CUBE AND WATER MANIFOLD AREAS WERE SOILED WITH A PINK MOLD AND OTHER DEBRIS.

*THE PREVIOUSLY CLEANED FLOOR MIXER COLLAR WAS SOILED WITH STAGNANT WATER AND DEBRIS, AND THE FOOD SPLASH AREA WAS SOILED WITH DRIED FOOD DEBRIS.

*THE PREVIOUSLY CLEANED WARRING JUMBO BLENDER BLADES WERE SOILED WITH DRIED FOOD DEBRIS.

******* of the Seas Inspection, note the similarities:

*THE CUBER AREA OF THE ICE MACHINE WAS SOILED WITH BLACK AND PINK MOLD.

*FIVE BOWLS WERE NOTED ON THE AFT HOT LINE SOILED AND STORED AS CLEAN.

Another ship, ******* of the Seas had similar problems:

*TWO OF THE THREE POTS MISSING HANDLES WERE FOUND SOILED WITH FOOD RESIDUE AND STORED AS CLEAN.

*THREE STACKS OF APPROXIMATELY 30 PREVIOUSLY CLEANED SHEET PANS WERE FOUND SOILED WITH FOOD RESIDUE.

*THE SPOON USED TO MAKE "BLACK & TANS" WAS FOUND SOILED AND HANGING FROM A CHAIN ON THE BEER TOWER.

*INDIVIDUAL NON-DAIRY CREAMERS WERE NOTED ON THE COUNTER WITH TEMPERATURES GREATER THAN 41°F. IT WAS STATED THAT TIME AS A PUBLIC HEALTH CONTROL WAS USED FOR THESE ITEMS. THE CONTAINERS WERE NOT LABELED WITH THE DISCARD TIME NOR WAS A LOG AVAILABLE TO INDICATE THE LENGTH OF TIME THEY HAD BEEN OUT OF TEMPERATURE CONTROL.

*AN ACCUMULATION OF CONDENSATE AND SLIME MOLD WERE FOUND IN THE DRIP TRAY LOCATED ABOVE THE ROLL-IN REFRIGERATOR.

*SEVERAL BOXES OF FROZEN FISH WERE FOUND STORED UNCOVERED

*THE WATER IN THE WHIRLPOOL SPAS WAS CHANGED EVERY OTHER DAY. THE RAISING OF THE HALOGEN LEVEL IN THE WHIRLPOOL SPAS TO 10 PPM FOR ONE HOUR WAS DONE EVERY OTHER DAY.

*THE DRAINS IN THE TECHNICAL COMPARTMENTS UNDER THE SERVICE LINE WERE SOILED WITH FOOD RESIDUE AND MOLD.

And on yet another ship, ******** of the Seas:

*MOLD GROWTH WAS NOTED AROUND THE BASE OF THE COKE DISPENSING UNIT.

*FOOD RESIDUE AND A SOUR ODOR WAS NOTED FROM THE INSIDE OF THE TAYLOR SOFT SERVE ICE CREAM MACHINE.

*A SMALL PLASTIC TRASH BAG WAS FOUND WITH WHAT LOOKED LIKE OX TAILS SETTING ON FOOD CONTAINERS UNDER THE CONDENSER UNIT. THE BAG WAS NOT LABELED.

*A CONTAINER OF PEPPERONI, AND ONE OF GRATED MOZZARELLA CHEESE WERE NOTED ON AN ICE BATH IN THE PANTRY. WHEN ASKED IF TIME OR TEMPERATURE WAS USED AS THE PUBLIC HEALTH CONTROL METHOD IT WAS STATED THAT TIME WAS USED. THE HOURS OF SERVICE FOR THIS AREA IS GREATER THAN 4 HOURS BUT THERE WERE NO DISCARD TIMES ON THE CONTAINERS OF POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS FOODS.

*THE TECHNICAL COMPARTMENT OF THE ICE WELL THAT WAS INSTALLED IN THE LAMINATED CABINET DURING THE LAST DRY DOCK HAD INSULATED UTILITY LINES THAT WERE HEAVILY SOILED WITH SLIME MOLD.

I think the final total score is by far the best measurement of health standards onboard. Remember, QE2 failed with an unsatisfactory score and I think maybe twice.
You're right, overall score is important to keep in mind...the link BTW to the CDC inspection reports, for others who don't have it already is: http://www2.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/vspmain.asp .

I think the score matters, but as long as it is passing it is ok with me. If the inspector really felt that something was unsafe they would be required to fix it right away.

As far as what the reports show, I would be concerned if they did NOT find anything. I personally feel that if the inspector looks hard enough, they will always find something to report. I don't think it is possible for something as large as a ship to have absolute perfection with no room for improvement. Not reporting anything would concern me that they did not look hard enough.

- Jeff

Travis - Thanks for the link. I checked my own ship for the October cruise and found very good news - a score of 98 with the two point deductions being for non-food related things. A very good sign and one that makes me feel quite comfortable sailing on this ship. Most restaurants in Vegas get far more deductions than this when inspected by the health department.

Let me add my 2 cents!! I work part time in a restaurant that has been opened for 43 years! Dinner is by candlelight on the tables. Although we used to use candles, now we use the fuel cells inside bamboo holders. (Polynesian rest.) Now, for 43 years, at the end of the night, the condiments and candle holders have been moved to one table, cleaned and kept there until set up the next night. All of a sudden, this past health inspection, we were informed that it was against health policies to "store" the candles on the same table with the condiments. NO-ONE in all the many health inspections over 43 years had EVER mentioned that before. Also, for 5-6 hours every night, the candles sit right beside the condiments on the tables during dining!!! Where, I ask, is the health hazard??!!

I personally feel that whatever gets written up, is up to the individual inspector. I don't know whether those reports go into more details or not as I have not looked at the link and don't care to, but, keep in mind that "presence" or "signs" of or "soiled" could mean one thing to one person and something totally different to another. However, "INSULATED UTILITY LINES THAT WERE HEAVILY SOILED WITH SLIME MOLD" is a different perspective.

I totally agree with this post: "I personally feel that if the inspector looks hard enough, they will always find something to report. I don't think it is possible for something as large as a ship to have absolute perfection with no room for improvement."

****** of the Seas Inspection, note the similarities:

*THE CUBER AREA OF THE ICE MACHINE WAS SOILED WITH BLACK AND PINK MOLD.

*FIVE BOWLS WERE NOTED ON THE AFT HOT LINE SOILED AND STORED AS CLEAN.

Considerig that this ship received a perfect 100 score from the CDC, I'd say you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill with this thread.

Considerig that this ship received a perfect 100 score from the CDC, I'd say you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill with this thread.

Not my intent at all, rather I want to raise the awareness level of people who would otherwise not have access to the data. I, for one, find it unacceptable that a ship which had the noted problems still received a 100! Just my personal opinion, however.

Mark K, I'm with you! I'll take a 100 score anyday!! Inspectors will always find something wrong. We are not perfect and the staff are not robots. As long as they do their best, I'll be happy.
Mold in the ice machine has nothing to do with the staff, I respect their hard work! Rather it is very telling of the lack of management; a shortcoming in policy which would have addressed such potential problems long before they became problems, with routine cleaning. I've managed people and believe you can't expect what you don't inspect.

Next time on a cruise talk to the crew about the cleaning process. They almost dismantle & clean ALL food related items every week. With crew changing, it would be an extremely hard task to make sure everything got cleaned, labeled, stored poperly. I would be more concerned if people were getting sick. Inspectors have to find things wrong to justify their jobs.

Not my intent at all, rather I want to raise the awareness level of people who would otherwise not have access to the data. I, for one, find it unacceptable that a ship which had the noted problems still received a 100! Just my personal opinion, however.
My personal opinion is that the experts at the CDC know a lot more about what things are important in regards to ship sanitation, and what's serious enough to merit a point deduction, than you do.

Mojo4trav writes: Not my intent at all, rather I want to raise the awareness level of people who would otherwise not have access to the data. I, for one, find it unacceptable that a ship which had the noted problems still received a 100! Just my personal opinion, however.

I for one want to thank you for bringing this subject up! I don't believe that you are trying to make it more than it is, you are just dishing out the facts......Thanks for the info!! :)

Having been in the restaurant business for more years than I like to remember this is not a bad report.

What would happen if CDC came to your house? How bad would it be if they came while you were preparing a meal?

You will be as safe on the cruise ship as you will be any where including your house. Do people get food poising on cruise ships, yes. Do people get food poising at home, yes. It can happen anywhere.

I know that is not a good thought but just how things are.

Now smile and enjoy a cruise. :)

We own a bowling center with a snack bar located inside that must get inspected by the local health department as least twice a year. Each time, the inspector will probably find some small thing we must correct even though we keep the area as clean as possible. We feel if the department does not find something wrong with the way we are doing things, they are not doing the job they are required to do, no one is perfect no matter how hard you try.

We find it hard to believe that they could find something wrong on a ship, note it on the inspection, and still give them a score of 100, something is not right with that inspection.

Tim & Crystal

People, most of you, including the OP, are missing something here. While I posted earlier thanking the OP for the link to the site so I could check out my own ship's report, I am watching this thread spin out of control because of misinformation and apparent panic. Take a real close look at the reports by viewing the corrective action comments and you will see every violation that has been listed by the CDC and the action taken by the ship to correct it. Most of the items are not considered serious and therefore will not be given a point deduction. Sometimes, the CDC makes comments on how the galley has been built, and there is absolutely nothing the ship's crew can do about that.

Ira was right when he implied no one's kitchen would score a 100, especially when you are cooking. Howard Hughes' kitchen might have had a perfect score, but do you want to live in seclusion like he did? My point is this: most comments on these reports are not serious enough to merit deductions and those that are have a chance to be corrected before the next inspection. I don't know if the CDC uses a similar point system as does the health departments of most counties when assigning demerits to a restaurant, but their scoring and rating are apparently much more stringent than the counties. A score of 85 or below is considered failing. In our health department inspections, getting 41 demerits or more forces the closure of a facility. Most of the ships in RCI scored a 93 or above, making them among the highest rated restaurants you will find on land.

Something else that needs discussing: if you're wondering how a ship can get written up for problems and still score a 100, once again, take a look at the corrective action comments and you will find that even if the infraction was severe enough to warrant a point deduction, if it was corrected on the spot in front of the inspector, no points need deducting. The inspector is obligated to include the infraction in his report, but will not deduct points if the infraction no longer exists.

Again, I appreciate the OP calling our attention to this matter, but let's not make it out to be bigger than it really is. If you're sailing on one of the ships that has been scored in the 70;s or low 80's, then you've got something to worry about. If your ship received a score of 95 or above, as is typical of RCI, consider the cooking facilities to be cleaner and safer than most kitchens.

Having worked in a galley of three different ships I would say it looks as if there is not an appropriate process in place on all the ships. Regardless of the total score these issues should have been dealt with from a training perspective. Mold as described does not grow in a day so it seems HAACP is not in place here and needs to be done immediately. Are the discrepencies life threatening ... probably not but they are still important as part of a process to keep things sanitary and safe. Little things add up very quickly. Royal Caribbean take note!!!!!!!!!

The good news is, they found the icky slimey mold, and reported it. I would like to think that in itself would warrant a clean up of those areas. Which means by now, that mold should be long gone. :) Isn't that the whole idea of a CDC inspection? To site problems so they can be FIXED?

My personal opinion is that the experts at the CDC know a lot more about what things are important in regards to ship sanitation, and what's serious enough to merit a point deduction, than you do.

Regardless of whether the CDC Inspector knows more about ship inpections than me, when I spend MY money on a trip for a week that includes the majority of the food available, I have expectations of clean and germ-free meals. We can debate all day about the 'slime mold' being a concern or no, but in the end your superfluous drivel is beside the point.

The good news is, they found the icky slimey mold, and reported it. I would like to think that in itself would warrant a clean up of those areas. Which means by now, that mold should be long gone. :) Isn't that the whole idea of a CDC inspection? To site problems so they can be FIXED?

Amen! My motivation for creating this thread was also to highlight the fact that similar problems are chronic and widespread, not isolated to one inspection or one ship. As another poster mentioned, this lends itself to poor policies and training.

One other benefit of the inspector is not just to find things, but to keep things as a whole under control. If no inspections were ever done at all and everyone knew they would not be inspected, then it is only natural for things to go downhill. So we would be replying on each cruiseline or even each ship to self-monitor the conditions. As we all know, some might do ok, but some other could end up pretty bad.

Archived