Which Catamarn turtle cruise??

ACJT

I have been reading about a number of different operators on these boards, and would like some input on choosing which operator to go with? The four names I keep seeing are Silvermoon, Shasa, Captain Ron, and Tiama. Some (Shasa) seem to be smaller in terms of group size, while I think Tiama hosts larger groups. I think I would prefer a smaller group, but will I be sacrificing my experience by going on a smaller catamaran? Also, has any one ever ran into trouble getting back to the ship on time when not doing one of these cruises through the cruise ship? Any other input/advice would be appreciated

Do you have your heart set on a catamaran? If not, I really suggest you try the Thriller Tour. It is on a fast, speed-type boat. You get to swim with turtles, snorkel over shipwrecks, and with beautiful fish, and go to a great beach. Stephen Tryhane runs the tour and he does a great job! I really like this boat because you can get to the sites faster than the catamarans and cruise-organized trip which makes your time in the water less crowded! And when I went, there were only six of us total...it was great! Good luck!

I have been reading about a number of different operators on these boards, and would like some input on choosing which operator to go with? The four names I keep seeing are Silvermoon, Shasa, Captain Ron, and Tiama. Some (Shasa) seem to be smaller in terms of group size, while I think Tiama hosts larger groups. I think I would prefer a smaller group, but will I be sacrificing my experience by going on a smaller catamaran? Also, has any one ever ran into trouble getting back to the ship on time when not doing one of these cruises through the cruise ship? Any other input/advice would be appreciated

WE booked the Tiami through Carnival and really had a great time. It was a blast and the staff was really great. There were up to 50 people on our catamaran and free flowing drinks (alcoholic and non). I have a more detailed review below. DH and I aren't "party people", but it was nice to have some music and other "party people" to watch.

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from sailing with Shasa and we HIGHLY recommend them. You will not sacrifice anything by going on this smaller (beautiful and comfortable) boat. We had eight in our party and were joined by three others for part of the day (they offer three and five hour tours). You'll go to the same spots as the other tour companies to snorkel, but you'll reap the benefits of being in a smaller group with more personalized attention. If you have time, do the five hour tour, which offers a delightful lunch and some additional beach time in addition to the awesome snorkeling. The turtles are so cool....! And I must say, Jason makes a superb rum punch and serves ice cold beer.

No question, you should go for Shasa! Great value, lots of fun and you are well looked after. We (family of 5) went this past march and it was great!

Rigger

We enjoyed Shasa too! There were only nine of us on the cat. It was great snorkeling with the turtles and Jason is in the water with you the whole time. Very relaxing and enjoyable day.

I booked the Tiami catamaran cruise with Norwegian and was not disappointed. The crew was amazing, the food was amazing (I still think about it), the snorkeling was awesome, swimming with the turtles was unforgetable, the open bar was a nice perk, the catamaran was clean and well maintained. Also, even though the catamaran may cater to large groups you never felt cramped. I would definately book this excursion again.

We were on Silvermoon in June. They limit the number of passengers to 12 so there is plenty of room. 5 star experience from start to finish. Great service, food, drink. We had a good time. Highly recommend it.

MexicoBob

Archived