Price Drop Question

Generally speaking, as you get closer to your sail date, if the ship isn't sold out, do prices tend to drop?

Reason I ask is because I just called and there was a price drop on a JS for our 7/13/07 cruise on Majesty and they credited me the $180 for the room that I had (over) paid.

Is it likely that this will happen again before we cruise? What are your experiences with price drops?

Thanks!!

You may see a price drop after final payment if the ship isn't sold out. All you can do is keep looking and if you see another one, call again.

RCCL is one of the cruise lines that is pretty good about honoring price drops. Other lines aren't so generous and will refuse to do anything after final payment was made.

Always watch the website . . . for my Alaskan cruise, I paid 699 pp for an interior room 1 year in advance. The price never dropped below that price, but it did go up! A couple times it went back down to 699 as the cruise date neared closer.

For my upcoming Caribbean cruise, the price recently dropped & it's still over 200 days till cruise departure. I saved 400 bucks by calling and getting the price adjusted for my balcony. I doubt the price will drop below 699pp (yes, I'm getting a balcony for 699pp) but I'll keep my eyes peeled. ;)

My sister just had 3 from Feb until the time they sailed in May...so yes, can be several, not just one.

We keep looking for upcoming August one...but no luck yet...congrats on yours...keep watching, might happen again! :)

There doesn't always seem a rhyme or reason why some sailings have price drops or not. My last cruise the price of a D1 went up, up, up right up until sailing and it ended up being over 800$ more per person then what I paid for it, so who knows.

I have read about people saving hundreds on their cruises. They suggest checking daily. Evidently RC had a 1-day sale last Friday.

I will keep checking, but do not hold out hope as it is a holiday cruise which will likely sell out. As a teacher, I only have vacation when everyone else does. I checked yesterday and my daughter's interior room has gone up in price over $200, but my balcony only went up $60.

we booked a Christmas cruise one year in advance over the Thanksgiving weekend. We had a price reduction in July and one again after we made final payment. We were credited both reductions through RCCL !

It is great when you can get the savings.I was able to upgrade to a d2 from an E and I saved $1100 .I also paid $ 4100 for a cabin and got that reduced to $2100 . It seems that the balcony cabins are reduced more often .I do not see a pattern in the drop in price .Which other cruise lines offer money back after a price drop?

I booked our cruise about 5 weeks before sailing. About 2-3 weeks later there was a drop in price only for a couple days. Now it's way over what I paid originally and we sail in 2 days! You just have to keep looking.

Speaking of price drops, we got one about six weeks before sail date but the TA had to "really fight RCL" because they didn't want to give the discount. Thats what I'm told anyway.

No problem b/c got discount but one of the things mentioned was that RCL had to "reprint everything". It was mentioned like it was a big deal. Anyone know what that could have been about? Reprinting doesn't sound like a big deal but why were things printed up 6 weeks prior to sail anyway. Sorry, know this is off on a tangent.

Which other cruise lines offer money back after a price drop?

I know Carnival does and so does Princess. After final payment Carnival will give you OBC instead of a price reduction, which works out to be the same thing.

We never got a reduction with Carnival because our original price never went down but with Princess we got two reductions. Don't know about what happens after final payment with them though because we had booked through a TA and their policy was no reductions after final.

Speaking of price drops, we got one about six weeks before sail date but the TA had to "really fight RCL" because they didn't want to give the discount. Thats what I'm told anyway.

No problem b/c got discount but one of the things mentioned was that RCL had to "reprint everything". It was mentioned like it was a big deal. Anyone know what that could have been about? Reprinting doesn't sound like a big deal but why were things printed up 6 weeks prior to sail anyway. Sorry, know this is off on a tangent.

The TA was giving you blah...blah..blah advice. Their commission was being affected. Reprint what? All you need is your boarding pass which you print online yourself. Glad you got your discount!!!!

Happy cruising. :)

One big hint is really check on Tuesdays cause that's when it seems prices change. I just saved $100 on my next cruise and will keep checking til I leave. That's part of my bar bill. LOL:eek:

Weird. Sounds like it was a TA issue, not an RCI issue.

We're doing a B2B in October. I booked the cruise May of 2006. Since then, our cabin for each leg had a $100 price drop twice ($400 total). I called RCI each time it dropped and they credited the price for our cabin all 4 times. Since then, the price has gone up and now the price for our cabin for each leg is higher than what we originally paid. Go figure.

Tim

I have a question...

So I keep checking on my cruise to see if prices have changed. Apparently they're out of quads completely, so I get the red "no such cabin" remark and of course can't check any prices.

Do I *HAVE* to be looking at a quad cabin for a price reduction?

Could I look for the same balcony for a double and if available, go by that price?

And while I'm asking... :)

On a Mariner-in-Mexico 7-day, I just switched FROM a corner aft E1 deck 9 plus interior cabin for our two children, TO a JS aft, deck 10! Price was almost the same.

Was that a good move?

THANK YOU ALL!!!

I believe that in order to get a price reduction you have to be comparing the same cabin... apples to apples...

that's the point of a price reduction (in their eyes) to boost sales of cabins that aren't selling well... If you've got a rare type of cabin that books up pretty quick (quads, suites)... there's no incentive for them to reduce the price...

Now, if you wanted to change your reservation to the double to save the money... that they should be able to do...

but as long as you are booked in a cabin that is sold out... your chances of seeing a price reduction are slim to none...

Hi, I have just booked a cruise to Alaska for next year at this time.I did book directly with Royal Caribbean.I was reading some posts about price drops.Where do I check about this This will be our first cruise and we are really excited Any help would be appreciated.Thanks:)

periodically, you should check the price of your cabin by "pretending" to book the cruise through the website... follow the steps until you see the prices for cabins... find your category and compare... sometimes you will find that you can upgrade to a higher category room for what you have already paid or you may find that the category you are booked in has gone down in price... when you "pretend" to book, be sure to enter you state, often the price drop that occurs is a residency discount that only applies to particular states...

Should your category of cabin go down in price AND you have booked directly with RC, you can call them and indicate that you noticed your cabin has gone down in price from when you originally booked. They will credit you the difference...

If you booked with a TA, you can try to get your TA to get you the reduction but as you may have noticed, TAs are not always anxious to honor that because it cuts into their bottom line...

Check your cruise periodically between now and the time you sail... our last cruise went down in price and we received our credit just 4 days before we sailed!

Keep in mind that there is no guarantee you will receive a price drop as more times than not, the cabins that go down in price are those that they still have plenty of.. so, in general, the suites and upper priced cabins, don't tend to see price drops because there are so few and they usually book up early. Insides and OVs tend to go down because they fill a larger portion of the ship, thus it is harder to sell out of those.

Archived