Evening dress on Radiance in Alaska

We will be going to Alaska in August and the travel agent has indicated that other than formal nights it seems to be less formal in the evenings than some other cruises. Does my brother need a sportscoat for 2 nights like on other cruises or is she right that a light sweater or shirt is fine. I know he CAN wear what he wants but want to know what the general rule is. She said there were quite a few jeans and flannel shirts at dinner on the casual nights. Have othres found that to be the case?

On formal nights you will find most people dressed appropriately. On the other nights almost anything goes. On many ships they have done away with the "semi-casual" nights and all the nights other than the formal nights are casual dress. To many people casual dress means jeans and t-shirts. This is really in contradiction to the dress code but the dress code is never enforced. Your brother really does not need to being a sportcoat for the non-formal nights.

On formal nights you will find most people dressed appropriately. On the other nights almost anything goes. On many ships they have done away with the "semi-casual" nights and all the nights other than the formal nights are casual dress. To many people casual dress means jeans and t-shirts. This is really in contradiction to the dress code but the dress code is never enforced. Your brother really does not need to being a sportcoat for the non-formal nights.

Some people wear jeans in the dinning room?!?

We will be going to Alaska in August and the travel agent has indicated that other than formal nights it seems to be less formal in the evenings than some other cruises. Does my brother need a sportscoat for 2 nights like on other cruises or is she right that a light sweater or shirt is fine. I know he CAN wear what he wants but want to know what the general rule is. She said there were quite a few jeans and flannel shirts at dinner on the casual nights. Have othres found that to be the case?

I hardly ever see a sportcoat anymore, in Alaska or anywhere else. I think the light sweater or shirt is perfectly acceptable. In 2004 we did jeans & sweatshirts in the dining room even on formal night, but it appeared to be confined to a group of insurance agents, not the general attire for the dining room.

I haven't been on RCL in Alaska but when we were on Princess there were a LOT of jeans and flannel shirts. My husband wore dress pants or khakis every night other than formal nights. I don't know if it was just that ship or that week but we were surprised.

I haven't been on RCL in Alaska but when we were on Princess there were a LOT of jeans and flannel shirts. My husband wore dress pants or khakis every night other than formal nights. I don't know if it was just that ship or that week but we were surprised.

I have heard that Alaskan cruises tend to attract an overall more casual crowd. I did Alaska last month on Holland America which traditionally has PAX who tend to dress up for dinner, but even on Holland America there was always at least several people with jeans in the dining room in Alaska (aside from formal nights).

Archived