Hot Appetizers in Bars

DougandEric

This is a *HOT* topic on the HAL boards!

Does Princess offer hot appetizers in the bars/lounges before dinner? On HAL, this is a nice touch. You go to your favorite watering hole, your bar waiter comes over and greets you by name (it really does happen!), asks if you want the usual, gets your drinks then brings over a selection (usually 3 or 4) hot appetizers on a small plate. Life's good!

On HAL, you don't mess with the hot appetizers! Some reported that HAL was doing away with them (cost cutting by Carnival), some ships didn't do them any more, etc. What an uproar! They are still offered from what I've seen and we're plentiful on our last cruise.

On the Dawn in January, I asked for the awesome spicy snack mix that had been available at bars/lounges on Princess but was told that it wasn't being served any more due to Noro :( .

Hot and/or cold appetizers at Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Captain's Circle events.

Chris

On the Dawn in January, I asked for the awesome spicy snack mix that had been available at bars/lounges on Princess but was told that it wasn't being served any more due to Noro :( .

Hot and/or cold appetizers at Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Captain's Circle events.

Chris

Oooooh Noooo......love that snack mix:(

Chris

We had the spicy snack mix on the Crown in January. Also on the Crown, the Adagio Lounge served plates huge stuffed olives....YUMMY! I remember some stuffed with blue cheese and jalopenos (sp?), but I think there were other stuffings.

In the early 90's they actually had happy hours in one of the bar/lounges. They had 2 fers and had a themed appetizer bar set up. Like on Mexican night, it was taquitos and such. Wish they'd at least bring back the 2fers.

A while back I remember that there was some talk about Princess offering hot snacks in the Wheelhouse - for a fee, of course. Haven't seen it come to pass yet. It's probably a good thing; the last thing I need on a ship is the opportunity to eat more food.

We have asked for the spicy snack mix and have been told it was unavailable. I wish they'd bring it back, I'm sure cocktails would evaporate more quickly. :)

Never seen snacks served in any of the bars/lounges.

Only pretzels during the Captain's Circle Party.

They don't automatically serve the mix anymore......you have to ASK for it. Sometimes towards the end of the cruise, they will run out.

They have started to serve the mix in little narrow neck flower vases......also used as 1-serving wine servers sometimes. That way no contact, like a bowl.......no chance of transmitting Noro.

Does Princess offer hot appetizers in the bars/lounges before dinner? On HAL, this is a nice touch. You go to your favorite watering hole, your bar waiter comes over and greets you by name (it really does happen!), asks if you want the usual, gets your drinks then brings over a selection (usually 3 or 4) hot appetizers on a small plate. Life's good!

Celebrity cruiselines does the late night snacks also... if you are in a lounge around midnight, the servers come out with hot snacks and desserts! It is a very nice treat... something light and tasty.

I have never seen them on Princess... although Princess does serve food ALL NIGHT long, where Celebrity closes the food line around midnight (at least of the ships I've been on).

Also... Princess does NOT present the GRAND BUFFET or "midnight buffet" towards the end of the cruise like Celebrity... I must admit, although I have attended several, I rarely eat anything that late. But I do take a lot of photos... they are normally outstanding... all the ice carvings, bread characters, and desserts!!

So... just depends on your cup of tea!

We have asked for the spicy snack mix and have been told it was unavailable. I wish they'd bring it back, I'm sure cocktails would evaporate more quickly.

So true. One small bowl of spicy snack mix (shared with DH, of course) = at least two glasses of wine for me :D and two whatever he's drinking.

Listen up, Princess, and do the math! Spicy snack mix = more drinks ;) .

Cheers!

Chris

Had the spicy snack mix (as well as pretzels and nuts) in Crooners on Island Princess a month ago. The stewards offered it to us - before dinner, after dinner - and they are served in the wine carafes which means you have to pour them into hour hands - you can't dig into them. I don't think they are then shared with anyone else - if you leave, what's left is discarded.

For a hot or cold appetizer buffet that's spectacular, if the ship has an Elite cocktail party, that's where it is ... if you're Elite ... :o

Just off the Dawn yesterday and they no longer serve peanuts or the spicy snack mix in any of the bars. The reason given is the "peanut allergy" in some people. We were disappointed and so one member of our group went shopping in the next port and would bring peanuts and snack mix to our pre-dinner cocktails!! Like we NEEDED something else to eat!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Archived