CRUISES to NOWHERE!

Cruznboy

Since cruises to nowhere are short. I wouldn't waste my time. Also the crowd on short cruises tend to be the "flip flop, shorts wearing, beer bottle holding, baseball cap backwards on formal night" type. The longer and more exotic the cruise the more affluent the passengers. Also if you do your homework right you can get a great price on a longer cruise. I cruised last sept on the Crown Princess(brand new ship) for 9 days with 3 of my friends and the cruise cost me under $800. If you want sea days a cruise out of NYC would have 2 days back to back from NYC and on the way back.

Has anyone done a cruise to No where? If so....what was ur opinion of it.

We sailed on Liberty on a two-night promo cruise before the maiden voyage. It was EXHAUSTING but fun, made the more so by the free booze. It wouldn't be my first choice for a cruise "destination" but if it was a possibility that didn't eliminate others or if it was the only thing possible, I would pack my bags and head to the pier.

Several years back when I was single I would book the weekend cruises to nowhere out of NYC...it was easy...no train or car travel to the Hamptons or CT..& as soon as I boarded drinks were flowing....the weather was nice..& if I did not want a party there were plenty of places to snooze People were fun...

I am an old ship fanatic..so now I am very glad I went...those ships are npw all gone.

I wish there were more of them these days....an day at sea is a great one!!!

why do you feel it would be more upscale than a regular sailing?

A trans-Atlantic cruise would have several sea days and a more upscale atmosphere. Before anyone goes crazy, I'm not trying to say that Europe is nowhere!!! :p

why do you feel it would be more upscale than a regular sailing?

I have not been on either a TA or a cruise to nowhere, but from everything that I have read, the cruises to nowhere are short and a non-stop party (read: drunk frat boys everywhere--I 'spose that could be a good thing or a bad thing...). :p TA's seem to be longer and draw a more traditional crowd. Logistically (due to available funds and time off from work), the older people are, the more time they are able to take on a cruise (in general, that is). This is just all my own personal speculation and not experience! :)

I was on a short QE2 Channel cruise last year. Boarding Fridag afternoon in Southampton with a return on Monday morning. Sunday was suppose to be a vall at Guernsey, howe the swells were too high to tendering. I was more than happy to stay on board.

Lovely lively young public onboard who enjoyed dressing up and partying. As a fellow gay passenger told me. The Yeacht club reminds me of a British wedding :)

Si it turned out to be a cruise to nowhere, however a very lovely one. Pity they take the old girl out of service. A Queen's Grill single stateroom was wonderful. Lots of family onboard, all very social and nice to mingle with.

Reint

I guess there are varying definitions of a "cruise to nowhere". The ones Ive seen advertised as such were the ones that leave a port, spend a night or two at sea with no intermediate ports, then return to the same port where it originated.

We havent done any of those, but we have done the short cruises with an origination port, no stops and then a different destination port. Sort of a one-way, short repo thing. The prices were great and we never saw an overwhelming party crowd.

Regardless of the definition, I think the best way to look at these short cruises is more like the way one would look at a weekend at a resort. Just a quick getaway in an amenity filled atmosphere.

Archived