Car Rentals

JC in CA

I have finally finished reserving our cars for our upcoming Hawaii Trip (Ohau 6/30-7/2 and then Pride of Hawai'i) and wanted to share what I found.

I began working on the rentals a couple of weeks ago- at that time using the Discout Car Rental site was giving me the best rates. I went back to finish today and found that going without the discount code took my full size rental with Thrifty (Ohau 6/30 noon-7/2 1 PM) from $132.45 to $80.27! :p The rental in Hilo was still cheaper with the discount code. The rental in Kona would be the same price with or without the code. Rentals on both Maui and Kauai are cheaper without the code.

Before I had heard of the discount site - I had checked Budget, Thrifty and Hertz to compare prices. Budget was cheaper in 2 ports and Thrifty in the other 3. Then I kept reading the cc boards and found out about the discout car rental prices - they were better than all.

I'm wondering if the lower prices I found today are because the time of the trip is quickly approaching!

Anyway- thought I'd share what I found!

-JC in CA

I kept checking the prices right up until the day we left for Hawaii. Perhaps you will find what I did ... you MAY get another price reduction on at least one of the port rentals! You can always cancel and rebook again!!

Lambs 2-

Excellent idea- I will keep checking! I did the same at our pre-cruise hotel- got a good price to start- but was able to get an even better price a few weeks later!

-Jerie

• Administrators
I have finally finished reserving our cars for our upcoming Hawaii Trip (Ohau 6/30-7/2 and then Pride of Hawai'i) and wanted to share what I found.

I began working on the rentals a couple of weeks ago- at that time using the Discout Car Rental site was giving me the best rates. I went back to finish today and found that going without the discount code took my full size rental with Thrifty (Ohau 6/30 noon-7/2 1 PM) from $132.45 to $80.27! :p The rental in Hilo was still cheaper with the discount code. The rental in Kona would be the same price with or without the code. Rentals on both Maui and Kauai are cheaper without the code.

Before I had heard of the discount site - I had checked Budget, Thrifty and Hertz to compare prices. Budget was cheaper in 2 ports and Thrifty in the other 3. Then I kept reading the cc boards and found out about the discout car rental prices - they were better than all.

I'm wondering if the lower prices I found today are because the time of the trip is quickly approaching!

-JC in CA

Definitely keep checking! Car rentals are among the most price-competitive points in the travel industry, and that's especially true in Hawaii. Sometimes discounthawaiicarrental.com will be best, sometimes it won't. However, for our 7/9 POH cruise (two days pre-cruise on Oahu, starting 7/7) I have set a cut off date of 7/5/07. I will do a last run-through then, checking prices. At that point, we'll deal with what we have (we're already satisfied, so saving $10 - $20 here and there is a good bonus, but not finding it isn't a make-or-break). I figure 48 hours in advance I'm going into full-on "HAWAII VACATION, yippee!" mode! :)

We found out too that Budget is cheaper than Thrifty, so we cancelled the car rental and rebooked it with Budget. Same with the hotel too, found out yesterday through my sister (we have a big group) that the hotel price is cheaper, so we got it changed to the lower price.

:confused: I've been researching for weeks like you. I am fine with Hilo because it's just for one day. However, what was your decision about the overnight ports (Kahului, Maui and Nawiliwili, Kauai)? I read lots of posts where people wrote about the hassle of finding parking for the overnight stay. Some people wrote about getting a parking pass for overnight parking at a nearby parking lot. Other people wrote about "finding" a spot along a wall near the port. I don't know if I should fret about it and rent the car for two separate days, returning the car each night and catching their shuttle back to the ship. I'd rather keep the car overnight, thereby allowing us freedom to return when we want and leave when we want without having to deal with the shuttles at night (which stop around 8 I think) and don't start up until they open in the morning. What did you decide and what influenced your decision. Thanks for your help!

We decided to KEEP the car overnight in Kahalui. Maui. We got in at about 9:30 pm and did manage to find a spot to park that was not too from the ship. But in Kaui we decided to not keep the car overnight because we had a sightseeing flight scheduled for the morning and they picked us up at the pier. After that we just swam at the beach close to the ship and also used the free shuttle to go to Walmart for some last minute inexpensive souvenirs!

However, what was your decision about the overnight ports (Kahului, Maui and Nawiliwili, Kauai)? I read lots of posts where people wrote about the hassle of finding parking for the overnight stay. Some people wrote about getting a parking pass for overnight parking at a nearby parking lot. Other people wrote about "finding" a spot along a wall near the port. I don't know if I should fret about it and rent the car for two separate days, returning the car each night and catching their shuttle back to the ship. I'd rather keep the car overnight, thereby allowing us freedom to return when we want and leave when we want without having to deal with the shuttles at night (which stop around 8 I think) and don't start up until they open in the morning. What did you decide and what influenced your decision. Thanks for your help!

I just got back from the Pride of America. We kept the car overnight in both ports. In Maui, there are 50 spots right near the pier and another 30 or so along a sea wall. The lot near the pier becomes a jumbled mess of cars parking everywhere including two deep. However, both NCL and Thrifty recommended parking at the Maui Mall. It is about a 7 minute walk from the pier and we ended up there with about 50 other cars. It was no problem. We parked directly under a light pole and made sure stuff was out of sight. I did not see any cars that looked disturbed the next morning when we retrieved the car. Thrifty also said if you cannot find parking to just bring the car back and they will let you get a new one the next day and charge the same rate.

In Kauai, the Aloha Marketplace which is about 200 yards from the entrance to the pier has a deal for $10 you can park overnight. We picked up the car from Thrifty and immediately went back and bought the pass. They give you a small paper pass to put in your windshield so the attendant (he was still on duty when we arrived back about 8) knows you are supposed to be there. Very easy. I would not fret too much.

wmbjr-

thanks for the info on parking! I was stressing a bit about it- figured we would see what was up when we got there- worst case- turn the car back in- otherwise keep overnight.

thanks again!

Thank you to everyone who responded. You have set my mind at ease and I will be keeping the cars overnight in both ports. I didn't know about the Mall parking. So, that was a plus. I have been to Hawaii before and spent quite a bit of time there. I did not think crime was an issue. But, I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks again. My cruise is only 42 days away! Yippee!!:p

-JC in CA

I agree with you 100%!

discoutcarrentalhawaii.com or 1 800 367-5238 HT14004118 (thrifty's)

Can't say anything bad about them! Great service to and from airport,pier, and hotel and all ports! Great upgrades too!

I have never really seen anyone choose Enterprise for a rental car? Is there a reason why?

Through Discover Card, there is a double cash back bonus reward for Enterprise. So, we are using $20 reward for $40 which is basically a free car rental for 1 day.

Any thoughts?

Archived